Author Topic: Blue Origin's BE-4 Engine  (Read 874347 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 55680
  • Likes Given: 25147
Re: Blue Origin's BE-4 Engine
« Reply #1920 on: 09/28/2022 08:43 pm »
twitter.com/torybruno/status/1575223484615393280

Anybody feel like seeing a full Misson duration BE4 engine video?

https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1575224434864029717

Looks like the BE-4 flight engine two video I mentioned a few days ago is finally being released.

Ok, so we know there’s at least one successful full duration test.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1921 on: 09/28/2022 09:12 pm »
https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1575231771913994240

Found it!  Ok, since you asked so nicely... here is a full duration @BlueOrigin #BE4 firing.   #VulcanRocket #CountDownToVulcan.  Enjoy...

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1577
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #1922 on: 09/28/2022 09:16 pm »
Not stated: whether this was FE-1, FE-2, or a different engine. Although I suspect if this were one of the flight engines, that would have been made explicit. (That said, I'm not even sure if the final tests for those engines are supposed to be full duration, so possibly that alone tells us this isn't them.)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1923 on: 09/28/2022 09:22 pm »
Not stated: whether this was FE-1, FE-2, or a different engine. Although I suspect if this were one of the flight engines, that would have been made explicit. (That said, I'm not even sure if the final tests for those engines are supposed to be full duration, so possibly that alone tells us this isn't them.)

https://twitter.com/sciguyspace/status/1575233586885689357

This is BE-4 flight engine two, shown here passing the first of two firing tests before it is shipped to ULA's facility in Alabama. After repairs, flight engine one should ship back to Texas for its tests soon.

Online Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 1355
  • Likes Given: 2250
« Reply #1924 on: 09/28/2022 09:28 pm »
Excellent video.  Now for an episode of "let's teach Vettedrmr some stuff."  Can someone tell me what was the white fluid being vented off from the left side (as looking down on the bell of the engine), and what does the yellow color of the exhaust mean?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1577
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #1925 on: 09/28/2022 09:30 pm »

This is BE-4 flight engine two, shown here passing the first of two firing tests before it is shipped to ULA's facility in Alabama. After repairs, flight engine one should ship back to Texas for its tests soon.

Odd, Tory usually isn't shy about this kind of thing. But Eric knows his stuff, so I'll trust him on this.

(Also, note timestamps: I made my comment two minutes before Eric's tweet. Nonetheless, I thank you for bringing it to my attention.)

Offline Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 335
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #1926 on: 09/28/2022 10:36 pm »

Odd, Tory usually isn't shy about this kind of thing. But Eric knows his stuff, so I'll trust him on this.

(Also, note timestamps: I made my comment two minutes before Eric's tweet. Nonetheless, I thank you for bringing it to my attention.)

Except that he never previously mentioned, nor did Tory Bruno, that there would be two test firings, only a single one. Also, is this happening in the same test cell we saw FE-2 mounted on here?

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #1927 on: 09/28/2022 10:44 pm »

IIRC the acceptance test is a full duration burn of the engine, so this should be that.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #1928 on: 09/28/2022 11:04 pm »
Excellent video.  Now for an episode of "let's teach Vettedrmr some stuff."  Can someone tell me what was the white fluid being vented off from the left side (as looking down on the bell of the engine), and what does the yellow color of the exhaust mean?

TIA, and have a good one,
Mike

No idea on the vented gas that pools on the ground, I assume because it's cold. It seems like an odd place to vent it.

I presume the yellow color means it's not completely pure methane. The BE-4 runs on purified liquid natural gas, which is mostly, but not completely, methane. Pure methane burns blue.

*edit*  Comments in the tweets note that there is water being injected into the exhaust plume, that is probably the cause of the color change. Groundwater in Texas often contains sodium.  Also, some dust is being drawn up into the plume further out, which also causes color changes.

Also, Just A Tinker suggests the white gas might be a Nitrogen purge to reduce the possibility of brush fires.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2022 11:13 pm by whitelancer64 »
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #1929 on: 09/28/2022 11:05 pm »
Tory: "This is an Acceptance Test Firing of the FE2 First flight engine"

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1575244407208493057

Offline harrystranger

« Reply #1930 on: 09/29/2022 11:30 am »
It may be worth noting that they seem to have expanded their propellant capacity in recent months. Satellite imagery showed work starting back in June (I think I posted about that a few pages back on here).
Here's a screenshot from the video showing the area I'm talking about :)
It can be really hard to interpret satellite imagery! Local knowledge & an understanding of an area’s history are crucial pieces of the puzzle.
- Rob Simmon

Offline Starshipdown

• Space
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #1931 on: 09/29/2022 05:11 pm »

Something isn't quite right here. We were told that only one ATP was needed, so why now is it two?

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #1932 on: 09/29/2022 05:26 pm »

*snip tweet*

Something isn't quite right here. We were told that only one ATP was needed, so why now is it two?

I asked about that on Twitter, but no reply yet :P
« Last Edit: 09/29/2022 05:47 pm by whitelancer64 »

Online Vettedrmr

• Hot Springs, AR
  • Liked: 1355
  • Likes Given: 2250
« Reply #1933 on: 09/29/2022 05:26 pm »

I never heard anything about how many firings were required for the acceptance testing.  Could be one firing for a nominal flight profile, one off-nominal.
Aviation/space enthusiast, retired control system SW engineer, doesn't know anything!

Offline litton4

• Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1934 on: 09/29/2022 05:43 pm »
Did I hear a "honk" as it shut down?
Dave Condliffe

Online whitelancer64

« Reply #1935 on: 09/29/2022 05:48 pm »

Yes.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1706
  • Likes Given: 940
« Reply #1936 on: 09/29/2022 06:46 pm »
I've heard rocket engines "honk" as they shutdown before.  Back when the Rocket racing league was a trying to be a thing, one of their rocket powered planes was flying over the EAA AirVenture and would fire several burst during its flight.  At each time the engine would shutdown, it would sound kind of like a "honk."

Offline Starshipdown

• Space
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #1937 on: 09/29/2022 08:24 pm »

I never heard anything about how many firings were required for the acceptance testing.  Could be one firing for a nominal flight profile, one off-nominal.

It's always been stated in the singular, like this one from August:

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1554840748960256000
"The BE4 Flight engine #1 is in Texas for its acceptance firing." Not "firings", just "firing".

The closest to a plural is this one from a month ago:

"BE4 Flight Engine #2 is on the test stand in Texas for acceptance testing"

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/1563279095940915200

We knew by that time that the engines are put through a cold ATP (cryo and prop) and then a firing, but no indication directly of multiple firings.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2022 11:24 pm by gongora »

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1938 on: 09/30/2022 12:17 am »
I've heard rocket engines "honk" as they shutdown before.  Back when the Rocket racing league was a trying to be a thing, one of their rocket powered planes was flying over the EAA AirVenture and would fire several burst during its flight.  At each time the engine would shutdown, it would sound kind of like a "honk."
That was the shutdown purge, a lot of XCOR engines did that.
I tried it at home

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 5333
  • Likes Given: 670
« Reply #1939 on: 10/01/2022 01:21 am »
As usual, excellent observations by Harry:

twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1575111924802416642

Satellite imagery shows that Blue Origin fired a BE-4 engine sometime between the 22nd and 24th of September.

This is almost one month after the last sign of a firing, which occurred between the 26th and 27th of August.
It says something about BE-4 development that you can keep track of test firings with a calendar.  With at least one competitor, you need a stopwatch.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography