Author Topic: Shuttle Acoustic Treatments  (Read 2330 times)

Offline ProToolsWizard

• New York, NY
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 18
Shuttle Acoustic Treatments
« on: 09/20/2022 04:18 am »
I haven't been able to find any information about this, but a somewhat well known recording engineer (maybe also well known for tall tales) claimed he designed the "soundproofing" for the space shuttle. At face value this seems like a pretty dubious claim, as the crew compartment was already airgapped and doesn't need "soundproofing". Seems weird that they would give up payload mass just to reduce acoustic reflections inside the shuttle on orbit. Pictures of the shuttle interior don't show any obvious acoustic panels or anything like that. I know the ISS uses blankets to dampen noise from ECLSS machinery, but that's a far cry from "soundproofing" and blankets don't require much design AFAIK. Just curious if anyone is aware of any solid information pertaining to this, in particular any info about the design and who was actually in charge of this sort of thing.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Shuttle Acoustic Treatments
« Reply #1 on: 09/20/2022 02:32 pm »
I haven't been able to find any information about this, but a somewhat well known recording engineer (maybe also well known for tall tales) claimed he designed the "soundproofing" for the space shuttle. At face value this seems like a pretty dubious claim, as the crew compartment was already airgapped and doesn't need "soundproofing". Seems weird that they would give up payload mass just to reduce acoustic reflections inside the shuttle on orbit. Pictures of the shuttle interior don't show any obvious acoustic panels or anything like that. I know the ISS uses blankets to dampen noise from ECLSS machinery, but that's a far cry from "soundproofing" and blankets don't require much design AFAIK. Just curious if anyone is aware of any solid information pertaining to this, in particular any info about the design and who was actually in charge of this sort of thing.

Sound suppression was done on the pad by use of water bags, water spread and water deluge.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2 on: 09/20/2022 02:33 pm »
There were microphones flown to capture the noise from fans and such. 

Offline ProToolsWizard

• New York, NY
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: 09/20/2022 05:17 pm »

Sound suppression was done on the pad by use of water bags, water spread and water deluge.

Yes I am aware of the sound suppression infrastructure on the pad and I don't believe he was claiming to have designed the water deluge system, he was referring to acoustic treatments in the interior of the crew compartment.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography