Author Topic: Building a Flying Scale model of Ares-V: Dimensional Drawings - 3D models Needed  (Read 7087 times)

Offline dk-info

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I am building a flying scale model (1" = 1m) of version (undecided) of the proposed/discarded Ares V Launch vehicle.

Surely there is a 2D/3D model (I use SolidWorks) of the proposals that can be made available (technology transfer?) to a "civilian".

I am a level 2 certified high power rocket enthusiast. I have loved the Ares V design from the beginning and would like to see it fly, even if only on a small scale.

Attached is a small video of parallel (strap on) booster tests. I expect the model to be about 120" tall and nominally 11" in diameter with 4" in diameter SRB's. This is not a small undertaking and would like to be as true to the concept as possible.

I am affiliated with the Space Port Rocketry Association here in Palm Bay, Florida.

Any help the forum could offer would be appreciated. I can use 3D models  in any format, likewise 2D drawings.

Thanks,

David W,
Melbourne, Florida

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
Here is what it looks like in one of the Mars DRA 5 documents.

Offline dk-info

Thanks for the illustration, I notice the SRB is called out as a "5 segment" SRB. I count thee whole segments and two amended segments with control skirts. I have not been able to find any illustrations with dimensions adequate to build a scale model from.

The same goes for the "Baseline Core Stage" the "EDS" and the "Dual Use Shroud". The transition skirt/structure from the Baseline core stage to the EDS is also difficult to dimension without printing out an illustration and breaking out the scale.

I see the illustration references "Configuration 45.0.2". Is there an overall guide to the configurations proposed?

Thanks again for the response. Your help is invaluable.

David

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Thanks for the illustration, I notice the SRB is called out as a "5 segment" SRB. I count thee whole segments and two amended segments with control skirts. I have not been able to find any illustrations with dimensions adequate to build a scale model from.

The same goes for the "Baseline Core Stage" the "EDS" and the "Dual Use Shroud". The transition skirt/structure from the Baseline core stage to the EDS is also difficult to dimension without printing out an illustration and breaking out the scale.

I see the illustration references "Configuration 45.0.2". Is there an overall guide to the configurations proposed?

Thanks again for the response. Your help is invaluable.

David

It never got past the concept stage.  It didn't go to SRR much less PDR and CDR.

SLS would be easier to model.
« Last Edit: 11/28/2011 02:41 pm by Jim »

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
You should make an SLS model. 2017 gives you plenty of time to build it. :D

What motor are you planning to use on the core and boosters?
« Last Edit: 11/28/2011 04:08 pm by Jason1701 »

Offline veedriver22

• Liked: 4
 Nick Proach Models builds & sells them.  Contact them, you might be able to get the dimensions from them.  I think they have a web site or you can see them at THE SPACE STORE web site.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
I am building a flying scale model (1" = 1m) of version (undecided) of the proposed/discarded Ares V Launch vehicle.

Surely there is a 2D/3D model (I use SolidWorks) of the proposals that can be made available (technology transfer?) to a "civilian".

I am a level 2 certified high power rocket enthusiast. I have loved the Ares V design from the beginning and would like to see it fly, even if only on a small scale.

Attached is a small video of parallel (strap on) booster tests. I expect the model to be about 120" tall and nominally 11" in diameter with 4" in diameter SRB's. This is not a small undertaking and would like to be as true to the concept as possible.

I am affiliated with the Space Port Rocketry Association here in Palm Bay, Florida.

Any help the forum could offer would be appreciated. I can use 3D models  in any format, likewise 2D drawings.

Thanks,

David W,
Melbourne, Florida

I'll keep an eye out for the Ares V.   Think I've seen some dxf files made outside of NASA.   But believe your are looking for the files for some of the models made (that sit on a desk).

Do me a favor and keep an eye out for X-40 and X-37B cad files.   I'd prefer to work out of IGES format (if possible).  I'm looking for NASA type files as well.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline dk-info

You should make an SLS model. 2017 gives you plenty of time to build it. :D

What motor are you planning to use on the core and boosters?

For the boosters I am going with a 4" diameter airframe with a 75mm motor mount, allowing up to a 6-Grain M3100-P CESARONI  Pro 75 motor.

For the Core, I plan on going with a 10 or 11" airframe with a 6 motor arrangement, a central 75mm motor mount with 5-75mm motor mounts. These would support up to a 6-Grain M3100-P Pro 75 motor.

When propelled with M2020 motors, with an average thrust of 2021.9N    (8429.4Ns) for each, the T/W ratio is on the order of 6.3:1

I guess I could model the SLS, I just like the profile of the Ares-V. Are there scaled drawings (or better 3D models) of the SLS?

David W.
Melbourne, Fl.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
It's a bigger undertaking than you realize. It took me a year to build my flying 1/48 scale Saturn-V.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline dk-info

It's a bigger undertaking than you realize. It took me a year to build my flying 1/48 scale Saturn-V.
I expect it will be at least 18 months in the making, I am testing subsystems now (booster avionics, booster separation) and running flight simulations on configurations to determine the minimum fin profile) I am at the design stage where I need to nail down the airframe and nose fairing configuration to finalize my simulations.

When I was a paid L2 subscriber I searched without much success for any drawings or models for the Ares concept launch system.

I did find an IGES "dumb solid" model of the Ares I-X, and short videos of the concept, with some "detail".

I assumed these concept models videos were made using a 3D authoring tool (like 3ds authoring tools) or was actually modeled in a 3D CAD package like SolidWorks or ProE.

So much for background, can anyone help me with these questions?
  • Who was (is) responsible for concept images and videos for NASA?
  • Who was the project lead for the Ares Concept?
  • What is an effective procedure for a civilian to request data from NASA?

• As always, thank you for your kind attention to my project and questions.

David W.
    Melbourne, Fl

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
    • Liked: 699
    • Likes Given: 723
    « Last Edit: 12/17/2011 07:50 pm by Danderman »

Offline luke strawwalker

• Regular
    • Liked: 9
    As previously mentioned the Ares V design was still quite fluid and embryonic when the program was canceled.  Very little was "set in stone", so it's really a matter of looking at the various proposals and design phases of the vehicle and choosing a point at which to "freeze" the design and model that. 

Good luck!  OL JR :)
    NO plan IS the plan...

"His plan had no goals, no timeline, and no budgetary guidelines. Just maybe's, pretty speeches, and smokescreens."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
    Advertisement Northrop Grumman
    Advertisement
    Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
    Advertisement Brady Kenniston
    Advertisement NextSpaceflight
    Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography