Author Topic: Falcon 9 v1.1 ORBCOMM - First Stage Ocean Landing Video  (Read 207556 times)

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
Re: Falcon 9 v1.1 ORBCOMM - First Stage Ocean Landing Video
« Reply #260 on: 08/05/2014 03:08 pm »
Very cool, Chris!

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #261 on: 08/05/2014 03:20 pm »
Hey Chris,
Since this is a video of a video, has the original been released. 
Assume it has better detail and additional content...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #262 on: 08/05/2014 03:27 pm »
I hope we will see this when they release videos of the most recent launch and the most recent F9R (McGregor) test flight.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #263 on: 08/05/2014 03:27 pm »
Hey Chris,
Having watched this 20 times already, at least half of them before I picked my jaw up off the desk, I concur with this request.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Chris Bergin

Hey Chris,

SpaceX will be the ones to do that as noted in my post. Really looking forward to that!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #265 on: 08/05/2014 03:43 pm »
It is really hard to see in the video, but does it seem like the stage is not completely straight upright when by the time the video cuts out?

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #266 on: 08/05/2014 03:44 pm »
I wouldn't expect additional content.  It's already been noted above via tweet that "a glitch caused the vehicle to go out of frame around touchdown".  Doh!

Even so, what is there is spectacular, and I can't wait for the direct feed version to be released.

Offline bunker9603

• Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 447
« Reply #267 on: 08/05/2014 03:49 pm »
Chris- Thank you for posting the video! It's an incredible to sight to see!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #268 on: 08/05/2014 03:50 pm »
It is really hard to see in the video, but does it seem like the stage is not completely straight upright when by the time the video cuts out?

It seems tilted a bit, and it could have been that it was "crabbing" against wind like airplanes do while landing in crosswind, but:

A GNC computer is not a helicopter pilot, and there's no need to null out horizontal speed or fly vertical until the very last second.  It doesn't have to feel "lined-up" when coming down.  Any propellant spent on such things too early will just get wasted when some random gust adds them back... 

There's a "firing solution" which terminates at zero speed and zero altitude and zero tilt, and there's no reason for it to be vertical anywhere but in the last meter.
« Last Edit: 08/05/2014 03:54 pm by meekGee »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #269 on: 08/05/2014 03:53 pm »
Hey Chris,

SpaceX will be the ones to do that as noted in my post. Really looking forward to that!

And when they do, they should split-screen it with the on-board camera footage.   :)

I'm really happy about how NSF is handling these things, in contrast to (oh, for example) reddit.

« Last Edit: 08/05/2014 03:54 pm by meekGee »

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #270 on: 08/05/2014 08:03 pm »
It seems the camera switches between infrared and normal visual at around 16-17 seconds mark as it looks like a continuous shot you can make out a blurry falling object before the switch and no sign of lit up engines in those and after that we go directly to splashdown.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #271 on: 08/05/2014 08:28 pm »
It seems the camera switches between infrared and normal visual at around 16-17 seconds mark as it looks like a continuous shot you can make out a blurry falling object before the switch and no sign of lit up engines in those and after that we go directly to splashdown.

It was suggested upthread that these are two clips from a longer video, pasted together. The portion of the video between the two clips, which would include the stage passing through clouds and then lighting up, was not shown.

My hope is that SpaceX releases the full-length video. Although I don't know if they ever will, they never released the Cassiope video either.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #272 on: 08/05/2014 11:07 pm »
>Talk about coming in hot!

Looking at the stark black color of stage on IR and ice on camera?  ;D
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #273 on: 08/05/2014 11:46 pm »
There's something to be learned from this video, when comparing it to the CASSIOPE "3 meter" picture (below).

There was discussion back then on whether the engine "really fired" or whether it just "burped" and SpaceX was misrepresenting it as a "prematurely terminated firing" or some such.  (The usual conspiracy theories)

In that CASSIOPE picture, the smoke/vapor doughnut is well formed, and the engine is already off.

In this video, we see that the engine ignites rather early, and fires for a pretty good duration before the doughnut forms, and surface contact occurs only 2-3 seconds after the doughnut forms.

The conclusion is that CASSIOPE ignited and had a nice controlled burn before the engines starved - otherwise the supposed "burp episode" would have occurred too high to form the doughnut.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #274 on: 08/06/2014 04:13 am »
I took the liberty of creating a few screen shots.

First sequence:
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #275 on: 08/06/2014 04:15 am »
Second sequence:
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #276 on: 08/06/2014 07:03 am »
There's something to be learned from this video, when comparing it to the CASSIOPE "3 meter" picture (below).

There was discussion back then on whether the engine "really fired" or whether it just "burped" and SpaceX was misrepresenting it as a "prematurely terminated firing" or some such.  (The usual conspiracy theories)

In that CASSIOPE picture, the smoke/vapor doughnut is well formed, and the engine is already off.

In this video, we see that the engine ignites rather early, and fires for a pretty good duration before the doughnut forms, and surface contact occurs only 2-3 seconds after the doughnut forms.

The conclusion is that CASSIOPE ignited and had a nice controlled burn before the engines starved - otherwise the supposed "burp episode" would have occurred too high to form the doughnut.

That's what I've long thought looking at the CASSIOPE photo. I'd heard talk from a SpaceXer that they came "very close" to a soft landing. Its obvious they got slow and within a stage length of the water before it went a bit pear shaped.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #277 on: 08/06/2014 07:27 am »

That's what I've long thought looking at the CASSIOPE photo. I'd heard talk from a SpaceXer that they came "very close" to a soft landing. Its obvious they got slow and within a stage length of the water before it went a bit pear shaped.

For sure, I remember the arguments as if it were yesterday [shimmery flash-back effect]...  It was clear unless you were intent on painting SpaceX's statement as purposely obfuscated. [/effect] But with the recent video, there photographical proof.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #278 on: 08/06/2014 05:20 pm »
Looks like this is the PG-13 version - the camera fades out before the shocking and graphic RUD.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #279 on: 08/06/2014 06:15 pm »
Betcha that if you split-screen and synchronize the on-board and the external videos, you'll see that the external video cuts out earlier than the on-board.

It also has the rocket going out of frame, and that motion started a few seconds early.

So unless they can predict the future, I think it's a genuine screw-up.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography