Author Topic: Orion on Discovery TV  (Read 6964 times)

Orion on Discovery TV
« on: 05/07/2007 02:11 pm »
TWO SPACE DOCUMENTARIES PREMIERING ON DISCOVERY'S SCIENCE CHANNEL THIS WEEK

"Base Camp Moon" will premier this evening on the Science Channel at 8 p.m. Central. The documentary explores NASA's plans to return to the moon and how scientists, engineers, researchers and other teams are working to achieve this technical challenge. Tomorrow, May 8, the network will broadcast "Starship Orion: The future of space travel" at 8 p.m. Central.  This program will highlight the skills and engineering feats necessary to develop the next generation crew exploration vehicle "Orion."

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Re: Orion on Discovery
« Reply #1 on: 05/07/2007 02:17 pm »
Wow.  From the thread title I had a flash of Orion mounted to *Shuttle* Discovery's nose or something!

Should be an interesting program.  I wonder how many exaggerations and outright errors it has.

Offline ShuttleDiscovery

• NASA's first teenage astronaut
  • UK
    • Shuttle Discovery's Space Page
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2007 02:31 pm »
Lee Jay - 7/5/2007  3:17 PM

Wow.  From the thread title I had a flash of Orion mounted to *Shuttle* Discovery's nose or something!

Same here  ;)

Re: Orion on Discovery TV
« Reply #3 on: 05/07/2007 02:35 pm »
heh heh - I changed the title - no need to raise expectations...

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #4 on: 05/07/2007 08:36 pm »

Lee Jay - 7/5/2007  9:17 AM  Wow.  From the thread title I had a flash of Orion mounted to *Shuttle* Discovery's nose or something!  Should be an interesting program.  I wonder how many exaggerations and outright errors it has.

Considering how fast things can(and have) changed with the design the odds are there will be a few errors. I can nearly put money on it they won't have the 606 design info we got in L2 today.  

Offline Ankle-bone12

« Reply #5 on: 05/07/2007 08:49 pm »
dang. I dont have L2 or scich. im so bummed, dang.

maybe i should sign up for L2. I wish good information were free.
Alex B.

Online rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #6 on: 05/08/2007 12:41 am »
astrobrian - 7/5/2007  4:36 PM

Considering how fast things can(and have) changed with the design the odds are there will be a few errors. I can nearly put money on it they won't have the 606 design info we got in L2 today.  

I'm pretty sure the goal of the show is not going to be to detail the differences in Orion 606 vs Orion 604, but to present the basics in a form that a non-spacegeek will understand and sit down to watch. They will not watch a recap of the status pages from L2...

Offline NASA_LaRC_SP

• Veteran
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: 05/08/2007 12:58 am »
astrobrian - 7/5/2007  3:36 PM

Lee Jay - 7/5/2007  9:17 AM  Wow.  From the thread title I had a flash of Orion mounted to *Shuttle* Discovery's nose or something!  Should be an interesting program.  I wonder how many exaggerations and outright errors it has.

They won't have it. The 606 find on L2 is stunning, even if I say so myself, but this is a Lockheed Martin vehicle and they can pull propierty on anything they do.

Ankle-bone12 - 7/5/2007  3:49 PM

dang. I dont have L2 or scich. im so bummed, dang.

maybe i should sign up for L2. I wish good information were free.

I've worked for NASA for 24 years and I'm hugely impressed by L2. The good news is they try and feed as much as they can from L2 into their news pages here, so you are already getting a lot, for free.

Offline Wolverine

• Santos Design Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 05/08/2007 02:11 am »
Sadly, not all of us have the disposable income to subscribe to L2, and since I moved and had to change cable providers, I actually lost Disc Science and National Geographic channel, yet pay the same.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #9 on: 05/09/2007 02:03 pm »
Wolverine - 8/5/2007  3:11 AM

Sadly, not all of us have the disposable income to subscribe to L2, and since I moved and had to change cable providers, I actually lost Disc Science and National Geographic channel, yet pay the same.

And we understand that. We always aim to feed as much L2 into the rest of the site (for example, the article on site right now is pretty much a round up of the shuttle processing information on L2 the same day).

With these major changes through the transition of Orion 605 to Orion 606, we'll write an article and release some of the (now a lot of) images, graphics and cutaway schematics into the rest of the site.

That's the idea. We intend for the whole site to be kick ass, with L2 - which is about 40gb of info now) being even more so. We - like a lot of other sites nowadays - need revenue streams to pay for the costs of running it. Gone are the days where advertising covers things. Some sites ask you to pay for their news articles, some for their videos. We feel our subscription area is the best for space flight by far, allowing the rest of the site to do for free what others charge for.

I absolutely know what people mean when they say money is tight, so I try and find a happy balance as much as possible.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Tergenev

« Reply #10 on: 05/09/2007 02:55 pm »
Chris,
As a 'money is tight' member, I appreciate all of the stuff you do put up in the free portion of the site. Thanks.

And after I get a new Project Management job, I should be able to swing an L2 subscription. I've discovered in the last 10 months that children are EXPENSIVE. :-)

Offline Wolverine

• Santos Design Solutions
« Reply #11 on: 05/09/2007 04:43 pm »
Chris Bergin - 9/5/2007  10:03 AM

Wolverine - 8/5/2007  3:11 AM

And we understand that. We always aim to feed as much L2 into the rest of the site (for example, the article on site right now is pretty much a round up of the shuttle processing information on L2 the same day).

With these major changes through the transition of Orion 605 to Orion 606, we'll write an article and release some of the (now a lot of) images, graphics and cutaway schematics into the rest of the site.

That's the idea. We intend for the whole site to be kick ass, with L2 - which is about 40gb of info now) being even more so. We - like a lot of other sites nowadays - need revenue streams to pay for the costs of running it. Gone are the days where advertising covers things. Some sites ask you to pay for their news articles, some for their videos. We feel our subscription area is the best for space flight by far, allowing the rest of the site to do for free what others charge for.

I absolutely know what people mean when they say money is tight, so I try and find a happy balance as much as possible.

No doubt, and the information provided here that is free is still top-notch and always seems to be ahead of the curve as far as space industry news, so thanks for that.   I'd love to join L2 but I'd have to sell a child to do it.  As tempting as it may be some times, I can't do it.   :laugh:    And at least the L2 news here is REAL news, unlike another website I used to belong to.  They provided for $100/year, a subscription to anti-terrorism info.  I did some artwork and t-shirt designs for them and they gave me a free subscription in return.  It turns out that much of their "news and info" was bogus.  Just made up for sensationalism and for making money.    :bleh:

L2 is probably the icing on the cake for space geeks like myself, perhaps in the future.  The cost is reasonable for a subscription with so much material to gaze upon, but I work for a non-profit organization, and therefore poor.   :laugh:

Offline gurneyeagle

« Reply #12 on: 05/09/2007 05:29 pm »
Wolverine - 7/5/2007  9:11 PM

Me too!  The cable package was literally changed this weekend.  Hopefully, it may play someday on the regular Discovery Channel.

Mike

Offline SpaceReader

RE: Orion on Discovery TV
« Reply #13 on: 05/09/2007 09:28 pm »
I thought the three "Space Week" episodes so far have been disappointing.  This includes “Spaceship Orion”.  They seem to be almost amateur productions.  Did anyone else get this sense, or do you think maybe my expectations were too high to begin with?

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #14 on: 05/09/2007 11:41 pm »
The Orion episode was interesting primarily because it provided the first real "live" look at how big the capsule interior will be.

Offline Celeritas

• Liked: 1
« Reply #15 on: 05/09/2007 11:47 pm »
SpaceReader - 9/5/2007 4:28 PM

I thought the three "Space Week" episodes so far have been disappointing. This includes “Spaceship Orion”. They seem to be almost amateur productions. Did anyone else get this sense, or do you think maybe my expectations were too high to begin with?

Although none of the shows blew me away, I'll watch ANY show on space over "American Idol," or "Dancing with the Stars," or God knows what other swill was playing at the same time.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #16 on: 05/10/2007 12:38 am »
Amen to that :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement