Author Topic: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles  (Read 280450 times)

Offline oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1190
  • Likes Given: 2685
Re: Refurbishment of Used Stages/Vehicles
« Reply #20 on: 12/30/2015 02:43 am »
Ease of use, gas n' go, fast turn around say don't wash it if you don't have too.
 MCT will not be washed before return. OK that's just a guess.
« Last Edit: 12/30/2015 04:07 am by oiorionsbelt »

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #21 on: 12/30/2015 03:54 am »
I guess the slipstream at terminal velocity isn't enough to get rid of all the soot. Isn't there a trick from the painting industry, whereby they can use electro-statics to charge airborne particles and either repel or attract them from a surface? Presumably it's during that re-entry plasma heating phase that the soot is being deposited. So couldn't the surface of the fuselage be charged to repel the soot so it won't deposit? I know, I know - it's not a crucial concern - but just a thought.

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #22 on: 12/30/2015 05:15 am »
People may be prematurely celebrating the end of the expendable era.. They may soon be nostalgic for the age of brand spanking shiny new rockets. Should we really celebrate spaceflight joining the modern age of sooty vehicles, shitty inflight service, vandalised seats adorned with chewing gum.. something unidentifiable and sticky.. and the smell of wee?  :)

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #23 on: 12/30/2015 06:51 am »
People may be prematurely celebrating the end of the expendable era.. They may soon be nostalgic for the age of brand spanking shiny new rockets. Should we really celebrate spaceflight joining the modern age of sooty vehicles, shitty inflight service, vandalised seats adorned with chewing gum.. something unidentifiable and sticky.. and the smell of wee?  :)
Yes.

If it substantially lowers the $/lb to orbit.  :)
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
« Reply #24 on: 12/30/2015 01:31 pm »
People may be prematurely celebrating the end of the expendable era.. They may soon be nostalgic for the age of brand spanking shiny new rockets. Should we really celebrate spaceflight joining the modern age of sooty vehicles, shitty inflight service, vandalised seats adorned with chewing gum.

All these are signs of a well-matured industry :)

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #25 on: 12/30/2015 05:50 pm »
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline sanman

« Reply #26 on: 12/30/2015 07:17 pm »
I wonder how long it will be until there's a "used spaceship" market? Or maybe the term "pre-owned" would sound better.

But seriously, I'd like to know how extensively the various construction materials and components have been tested for "cycle life".  It's one thing to expect your O-ring to flex properly during one launch, but after how many launches will it give out?

Is cycle life something that's normally tested for in the rocket industry?
« Last Edit: 12/30/2015 07:21 pm by sanman »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #27 on: 12/30/2015 10:09 pm »
I wonder how long it will be until there's a "used spaceship" market? Or maybe the term "pre-owned" would sound better.

But seriously, I'd like to know how extensively the various construction materials and components have been tested for "cycle life".  It's one thing to expect your O-ring to flex properly during one launch, but after how many launches will it give out?

Things like thermal stresses during tank/detank operations are always considered.  Even an EELV may go through several.  But SpaceX needs more than "several". 

But - seriously - do you really doubt that they're only now getting to it?    It may not be "normal" in the rocket industry, but it sure took place with Shuttle, and it sure takes place in the aircraft, shipbuilding and car industries. (and many others, of course)
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #28 on: 12/30/2015 10:18 pm »

Preloved.

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #29 on: 12/30/2015 10:58 pm »

Preloved.

Prelaunched.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #30 on: 12/30/2015 11:06 pm »

Preloved.

Prelaunched.

Proven.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #31 on: 12/30/2015 11:08 pm »

Preloved.

Prelaunched.

Proven.
Flight tested.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Henry.Yopp

• Kentucky
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: 12/30/2015 11:25 pm »
I got it, leave the LOX tank white and paint the rest of the stage carbon black.
Out of sight , out of mind!  ;D

« Last Edit: 12/30/2015 11:32 pm by Henry.Yopp »

Offline sanman

« Reply #33 on: 12/31/2015 12:44 am »
Things like thermal stresses during tank/detank operations are always considered.  Even an EELV may go through several.  But SpaceX needs more than "several". 

But - seriously - do you really doubt that they're only now getting to it?    It may not be "normal" in the rocket industry, but it sure took place with Shuttle, and it sure takes place in the aircraft, shipbuilding and car industries. (and many others, of course)

Fair enough - I'd imagine that thermal stress cycling must have been a prerequisite, given all the
fueling-cancelation-defueling-refueling-etc that happens.

But when it comes to flight dynamic stresses - that's got to be tough to accurately simulate Max-Q and everything else. Furthermore, what do you do when you discover that your recovered booster now has a wicked shimmy in it?
Sounds like it's time to scrap that booster and pull a brand new one off the assembly line.

From what I see, when the fuselage structure exhibits issues during acoustic testing, then that recovered booster is pretty much a write-off. Just cannibalize some parts off it.

Which then also makes me wonder - can the design evolution of the stages/vehicles also move towards maximizing recyclability? Whatever else is wrong with the recovered stage/vehicle, you at least want to be able to scavenge some useful parts off it for possible re-use.

Offline lark

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #34 on: 12/31/2015 01:25 am »
I understand that the FTS is rendered inert at some point in the flight. Is it rendered so inert that it cannot be reactivated (sounds like a good thing) and so is one thing that must be replaced?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #35 on: 12/31/2015 01:41 am »
I understand that the FTS is rendered inert at some point in the flight. Is it rendered so inert that it cannot be reactivated (sounds like a good thing) and so is one thing that must be replaced?

It is just shut off.

Offline 411rocket

• Retired RCEME w/ tours in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia
  • Vancouver Island
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #36 on: 12/31/2015 04:20 am »

Fair enough - I'd imagine that thermal stress cycling must have been a prerequisite, given all the
fueling-cancelation-defueling-refueling-etc that happens.

But when it comes to flight dynamic stresses - that's got to be tough to accurately simulate Max-Q and everything else. Furthermore, what do you do when you discover that your recovered booster now has a wicked shimmy in it?
Sounds like it's time to scrap that booster and pull a brand new one off the assembly line.

From what I see, when the fuselage structure exhibits issues during acoustic testing, then that recovered booster is pretty much a write-off. Just cannibalize some parts off it.

Which then also makes me wonder - can the design evolution of the stages/vehicles also move towards maximizing recyclability? Whatever else is wrong with the recovered stage/vehicle, you at least want to be able to scavenge some useful parts off it for possible re-use.

So the possible salvage yard, gets located in Texas or elsewhere? The useful stuff gets pulled & the remainder gets broken down for recycle, like vehicles & aircraft.

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #37 on: 12/31/2015 06:51 pm »

Preloved.

Prelaunched.

Proven.

Provocative.

Offline shooter6947

• Idaho
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #38 on: 12/31/2015 11:24 pm »
New Elon Musk tweet: 

@ElonMusk: "Falcon 9 back in the hangar at Cape Canaveral. No damage found, ready to fire again. "
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/682717803166695425

Based on the linked image, though:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_-d28bQEc9/
it kinda looks like there's at least some cosmetic damage to the paint.  Will they repaint, or just fly it with that 'used' look?
« Last Edit: 12/31/2015 11:27 pm by shooter6947 »

Online Eer

• Liked: 469
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #39 on: 12/31/2015 11:50 pm »

Preloved.

Prelaunched.

Proven.

Provocative.
Previously landed.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography