Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SES-10 with reuse of CRS-8 Booster SN/1021 : 2017-03-30 : DISCUSSION  (Read 500343 times)

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
I think this euphemism ("flight-proven") is alredy in use for quite a while...

It has been mentioned several times but it is nice to see it on an official notification for an impending launch. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Personally I don't like the word "impending". Quite often it's followed by the word "doom"...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
Personally I don't like the word "impending". Quite often it's followed by the word "doom"...

perhaps theres some doom and gloom in the future for expendable rockets

Offline jfallen

• Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 105
Any chatter on a launch date for this one?  EchoStar is set, so what should we expect for the range turn-around 2 weeks?  It seems like that would put his with a NET of 26 March.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14

What about impending surprise party?
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Any chatter on a launch date for this one?  EchoStar is set, so what should we expect for the range turn-around 2 weeks?  It seems like that would put his with a NET of 26 March.

Sorry to say this, but I'm gonna expect a small delay that could push SES-10 into April. It's just like the last several missions.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline cwr

Assuming that Echostar 23 launches on March 12th and CRS11 remains targeted at April 11th then allowing a 14 day pad turnaround it looks like there is a window from March 26-28.

However, this looks just like the scenario when CRS10 pulled rank over Echostar 23. I don't know the rules for this but it looks highly probable that the 26th-28th window is even less margin than that which produced the CRS10/Echostar 23 switch so I would suspect that SES 10 is probably going to be NET April 25th.

Any clarification of these rules appreciated

Carl

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
@SpaceX's Shotwell: Took us 4 months to refurbish the stage that we'll refly at end of this month. Going forward, it'll be sub that.#SATShow

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/839598801375608832

Edit: suggest we limit discussion here to SES-10 and subsequent improvements belong better in the re-usable section block 5 thread: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42465.msg1652024#msg1652024
« Last Edit: 03/08/2017 09:29 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861
@SpaceX's Shotwell: Took us 4 months to refurbish the stage that we'll refly at end of this month. Going forward, it'll be sub that.#SATShow

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/839598801375608832

Edit: suggest we limit discussion here to SES-10 and subsequent improvements belong better in the re-usable section block 5 thread: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42465.msg1652024#msg1652024

I'm most interested in the turn around time of LC39A from the upcoming EchoStar launch and SES-10. 

Can they really cram it in before CRS-11?
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
I don't think that the engines are a problem for a static fire, presuming that there is no damage to the plumbing or tank integrity. The issue is more overall soundness of the vehicle: Will the stage survive prolonged vibrations (IIRC, the main engine burn is ~150 seconds) plus the aerodynamic stresses transit through various atmospheric layers (in both directions) up to hypersonic speeds, both powered and unpowered? I can't blame SpaceX for checking every rivet and every joint twice at a microscopic level (and possibly with an x-ray) before risking a paying customer's payload!

SpaceX might not be just checking everything for making sure the LV is ready for a paying customer.  I would hazard a guess that they are also checking everything for documentation purposes.  They are building a database of what expected wear is.  For example, Part-A is supposed to last X number of flights they still might check it for wear after every flight for a while to build up good documentation on what the expected rate of wear is.  So this means their inspections might be going beyond just what is needed for a paying customer until they build a good library of reference. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline Chris Bergin

People keep insisting on using one very specific thread for a general dilution into a more general topic. When that happens, people knock on my door, wait for me to open it, and then throw a pie in my face saying "I came here for SES-10...what's all this about history of reused stages. You've ruined my day, RUINED IT I TELL YOU". ;D

Ok, perhaps not, but it feels like that when report to mods come in and act like we personally approved each and every post that was made here.

So, I've moved 24 posts (that went veering off into returned boosters - right through to Shuttle, etc.) into this more general thread.

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39167.msg1653351#msg1653351

This thread stays with SES-10 or I will tell the pie throwers to knock on YOUR door ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
So, Echostar 23 is out of the queue. How soon can we expect SpaceX to give a launch date estimate for SES-10? I'm expecting to hear a time frame between 3/30 and 4/2 myself.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81620
  • Likes Given: 36928
So, Echostar 23 is out of the queue. How soon can we expect SpaceX to give a launch date estimate for SES-10? I'm expecting to hear a time frame between 3/30 and 4/2 myself.

Obviously the 27th has been pencilled in for a while. Post-launch pad inspection is usually a day or two after launch (hopefully, given night-time launch for Echostar, that will be tomorrow - 17th?). I wouldn't expect any revision to the 27th, if needed, until after the pad inspection. Hopefully there's minimal pad work required.

Offline Earendil

Depends also on what will happen to Delta IV and Atlas (OA-7) launches..

If all is well with these launches and 39-A has less damage  than the 1st launch, 27th is feasable, given that the booster has been readied for 4 months :)

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324
Since this mission is now Prime, when will we see an Update thread?

asking for a friend.  :-P

Online Craig_VG

• Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 528
Have we heard anything regarding if landing will be attempted on this mission?

(of course just the launch is historic enough, but it would be interesting to hear.)
« Last Edit: 03/16/2017 08:40 pm by Craig_VG »

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
Have we heard anything regarding if landing will be attempted on this mission?

(of course just the launch is historic enough, but it would be interesting to hear.)
Yes. At the recent Sat conference, Gwynne said they'd be recovering this one as well. They'll always recover unless mission is mass/orbit constrained like this past Echostar launch.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online Craig_VG

• Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 528
Yes. At the recent Sat conference, Gwynne said they'd be recovering this one as well. They'll always recover unless mission is mass/orbit constrained like this past Echostar launch.

Thanks, I wasn't sure as 5300kg seems to be close to limits of recoverability.

Offline dnavas

• San Jose
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1312
Hard to believe in a March launch, given there has to be time for a static fire in there as well.  The Pad would have to be practically pristine, no?

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
It would be impressive if they can make the 27th, if not,
I wonder what the next range approved date would be or
if there is already a backup date that could be used.

Nevertheless, I'm psyched that this is the next one up.
1st reuse of an F9 & a drone ship landing... 
If they get it back, analysis should provide useful interesting engineering data.
F9 23-2 anyone?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography