Author Topic: Oryol - next generation Russian crewed spacecraft - development  (Read 413032 times)

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Russia to Develop a New-Generation Manned Spacecraft
« Reply #40 on: 02/10/2011 02:40 am »
http://www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=15934783&PageNum=0

MOSCOW, February 8 (Itar-Tass) -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev believes that Russia should develop its own program for the exploration of deep space in general and the Moon in particular. "I think this is a very important topic, even in terms of our scientific ambitions. If we fail to address it at all, we shall degrade and will be pushed to the sidelines," the president said at a meeting with young scientists on Tuesday.

Medvedev admitted that he could not promise such a program would be ready in one year’s time, “which would let us catch up with the Americans.”

The president added that the topic was a subject matter for research by experts in Europe and China. “Everybody is willing to get in space, it is necessary to understand just where our place in space and on the Moon is," the head of state said.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #41 on: 02/10/2011 08:32 am »
Whats the status of this then?  Is there funding, has any hardware been built?  etc..

Basically, is there any chance of this not happening?

There is a very good chance of this not happening. For example, if NASA were to cancel Orion, and move to a different design, within a couple of years, Roskosmos would direct Energia to copy that design.

Offline Dmitry_V_home

• City of Toglliatti, Samara region, Russia
  • Liked: 666
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #42 on: 02/13/2011 02:29 pm »
Alternative variant of spaceship PTK-NP from Khrunichev. Spring 2009

Offline Dmitry_V_home

« Reply #43 on: 02/13/2011 02:33 pm »
Interior of spaceship PTK-NP  from Khrunichev

Offline nickyp

• Glasgow, Scotland
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #44 on: 02/13/2011 03:48 pm »
Ah, very much like the TKS.  I have always been a bit wary of a hatch going through the heatshield though, surely its just something to go wrong on re-entry?

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #45 on: 02/13/2011 03:58 pm »
TKS lives! And is now much roomier! :)

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #46 on: 02/13/2011 07:19 pm »
Ah, very much like the TKS.  I have always been a bit wary of a hatch going through the heatshield though, surely its just something to go wrong on re-entry?
STS has several, with a TPS that is much more exposed to damage overall.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #47 on: 02/13/2011 09:55 pm »
Sigh... Krunichev just won't let TKS die, I guess. I am not a fan of the design.

The crew compartment in the "SM" is not very useful. It is overkill for LEO ferry flights (which will be the by far most common mission). And while it would be nice for lunar flights, the interior space also means that the SM doesn't have enough fuel for such flights.

It's just doesn't make sense.

Oh well, it is unlikely to be picked anyway. Roskosmos always knows what it wants to pick in these 'competitions', just like NASA. (Orion for CxP)
« Last Edit: 02/14/2011 07:30 am by Lars_J »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #48 on: 02/14/2011 07:33 am »

Would I be right in saying that there is no technological reason why you couldn't have a 'float-through' capsule, with a docking interface at one end for operating with the ISS and a storage/orbital module behind it in the stack?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #49 on: 02/14/2011 10:22 am »
Although I'm probably gonna get flayed alive for saying this... I quite like the design. Aesthetically, it looks better than Soyuz-derived OM/CM/SM. At least IMO (I know, aesthetics don't count and are in the eye of the beholder).

I agree that the hatch-through-heatshield argument shouldn't be overstated, as Shuttle has hatches in its heatshield too. On the other hand, PPTS is supposed to be able to survive lunar reentry, so the comparison is a poor one.

Guess it all comes down to personal taste.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 02/15/2011 01:56 pm »

Would I be right in saying that there is no technological reason why you couldn't have a 'float-through' capsule, with a docking interface at one end for operating with the ISS and a storage/orbital module behind it in the stack?

The successful flight of various TKS modules suggests that there is no technological barrier to the design described above.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
http://www.aex.ru/news/2011/1/17/81773/

from Google Translate:

"The developers of the Russian LV "Rus" had technical problems, says BBC Russian Service.

"At the stage of conceptual design vehicle mass exceeds the mass limit at 1660 kg", - reported, citing sources in the space industry. "

I have seen this movie before.

Offline DaveJSC

• ISS FCR. Former Shuttle FCR
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #52 on: 03/10/2011 11:17 pm »
Having gone through all the 50+ RSC Energia PTK NP Next Gen Exploration Vehicle Presentations on L2 I'm impressed.

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14

from Google Translate:

"The developers of the Russian LV "Rus" had technical problems, says BBC Russian Service.

"At the stage of conceptual design vehicle mass exceeds the mass limit at 1660 kg", - reported, citing sources in the space industry. "

Please note that mass of spacecraft had not been mentioned in tenders requirements, but it is limited by LV capability (still in detailed design as well).
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline patchfree

• webmaster and russian space fan
  • Poitiers, France
    • kosmosnews.fr, l'actualité spatiale russe en français
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6

from Google Translate:

Please note that mass of spacecraft had not been mentioned in tenders requirements, but it is limited by LV capability (still in detailed design as well).

And the LV capability will be no less than 20T in low earth orbit. Is it quite normal that at the conceptual design stage the mass overtakes the planned mass...

January 20

In 2009, the competition to create a space rocket complex (CRC) for the spaceport, "East" in the Far East, won the enterprise co-executors of the Federal Space Agency, Federal State Unitary Enterprise "SRP" TsSKB Progress (Samara), OAO "RKK" Energy "(Mr. Korolev, Moscow Region) and "Makeyev State Rocket Center (Miass, Chelyabinsk region).

Samara Space Rocket Center TsSKB Progress "is the prime contractor for this project.

Currently, the development of CRC is at the stage of engineering design. Work on the CBC "Rus-M are innovative. The complex will meet the advanced requirements of the technology of this kind in the world. In the study is based on extensive experience SRP TsSKB-Progress and cooperation of developers to create complex rocket and space technology.

The TOR Roskosmos specified requirements for payload, output by the launch vehicle (LV), "Rus-M. The results obtained during the conceptual design and laid the basis for further work to confirm that the requirements of the customer in terms of output payload booster "Rus-M, as well as other requirements are fully met.

Requirements for the maximum permissible weight of PH in the specifications are not set.

For information:

Booster "Rus-M development TsSKB-Progress is part of the CBC said. RN Rus-M "- is fundamentally a new medium, made by the" tandem "scheme. RN provides injection payloads weighing not less than 20 tons to low Earth circular orbit, and using boosters - unmanned spacecraft weighing about 7.0 tons to geosynchronous transfer orbit and a mass of about 4.0 tons into geostationary orbit.

http://www.samspace.ru/News/SUB_NEWS/21-01-11-%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC.htm
« Last Edit: 03/18/2011 05:28 pm by patchfree »
http://kosmosnews.fr l'actualité spatiale russe en français

Offline Dmitry_V_home

« Reply #55 on: 03/19/2011 06:33 pm »
Two variants of Khrunuchev's PTK NP for Moon

Offline zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #56 on: 03/24/2011 05:19 pm »
From NK forums, picture of the mainline entry (with which the picture that Dmitry posted above competes).

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 03/24/2011 05:31 pm »
Although this is the Khrunichev entry, the cargo version looks very similar to Energia's concept of a Russian ATV.

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #58 on: 04/10/2011 09:14 am »
Khrunichev Vision of the Manned Lunar program from Russian Nauka i Zhizn' April 2011 Magazine:
« Last Edit: 06/27/2011 01:46 am by Ronsmytheiii »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #59 on: 04/10/2011 11:06 am »
Khrunichev Vision of the Manned Lunar program from Russian Nauka i Zhizn' April 2011 Magazine:

Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, my Russian is very bad, but this is interesting. So, they are considering an 18mT lunar orbital outpost?

And, hey, look, it's the Russian Altair! Wondering how they will get that through TLI...
« Last Edit: 04/10/2011 11:07 am by aquanaut99 »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography