Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169700 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #120 on: 04/30/2018 06:22 pm »
Chris I notice that the little box beside your name is green and says you are online.
But the little box beside my name is white and says I am offline.
Obviously that's wrong because here I am talking to you :)

Under your account settings see if the "Show others my online status" is checked?

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #121 on: 04/30/2018 11:47 pm »
Chris I notice that the little box beside your name is green and says you are online.
But the little box beside my name is white and says I am offline.
Obviously that's wrong because here I am talking to you :)

Under your account settings see if the "Show others my online status" is checked?

It was not. Now it is. Thanks.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline lamontagne

• Otterburn Park, Quebec,Canada
  • Liked: 3835
  • Likes Given: 716
« Reply #122 on: 05/01/2018 12:05 pm »
My notification system does not seem to work anymore  :'(

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

You're in the right thread.

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.
Thanks for the reply!
Nope, not going to spam in Gmail.  But perhaps my internet provider is blocking you at a higher level (my mail is redirected from another account).  Will check them out as well.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #123 on: 05/01/2018 01:17 pm »
My notification system does not seem to work anymore  :'(

And I notice there seem to be no place to notify for technical problems, such as the above?  No way to write to the admin?

Regards,

ML

You're in the right thread.

Yeah, over the years, it seems to be groups of people, likely on ISPs and servers, where the notification e-mails go into your junk folder. I had a month of it late last year, but after a fair amount of "mark as not junk" it all sorted itself out and now they are all back to normal.

So it's not the site, it's mail servers seeing auto e-mails from forums as spam.
Thanks for the reply!
Nope, not going to spam in Gmail.  But perhaps my internet provider is blocking you at a higher level (my mail is redirected from another account).  Will check them out as well.

I can't get emails from NSF on my bellsouth.net accounts, they seem to block some random assortment of sites. Switching my NSF account to my Gmail address allowed me to finally get emails.

Offline WBailey

• Planet Earth
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #124 on: 05/02/2018 05:51 pm »
I noticed the buddies/ignore list has a few obsolete fields. AIM was discontinued last December, and MSN messenger was discontinued back in 2013.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #125 on: 05/02/2018 05:53 pm »
I noticed the buddies/ignore list has a few obsolete fields. AIM was discontinued last December, and MSN messenger was discontinued back in 2013.

Yep. I thought I had managed to remove the option of adding them, as they displayed as broken icons. Will see if there's a way to completely irradicate them, so we can all focus on posting links to your Myspace pages. ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline cosmicvoid

• Seattle 'ish
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #126 on: 05/30/2018 05:52 am »
In the NSF fora, topics with new posts have an orange "NEW" button. Previously, clicking on this NEW button caused it to have a dotted box around it which would show until some other link was clicked. In the past few weeks, this button highlighting stopped happening, making it hard to remember which topic was last visited.

I'm trying to determine whether this is a browser issue (FF52) or a NSF site change. Anyone else experiencing this?
Infiinity or bust.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #127 on: 06/01/2018 03:26 pm »
Weird interaction this morning as I signed in. Seems related to the banner ad at bottom of the screen "your template finder"
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #128 on: 06/03/2018 04:04 am »
The General Discussion - Live Event section is showing a last post date of May 14th.  Has that section been shut down?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #129 on: 06/03/2018 08:43 am »
The General Discussion - Live Event section is showing a last post date of May 14th.  Has that section been shut down?

The Live event threads have been moved back to their respective forums sections, and there hasn't been any "uncategorized" live events recently.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #130 on: 06/03/2018 09:42 am »
We need to revamp that live events section as with so many specific sections that now host live events.....it needs some better role. I'll have a think :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #131 on: 06/09/2018 11:20 pm »
L2 Orbital ATK Section needs a new name with the merger now complete.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #132 on: 06/10/2018 11:23 am »
L2 Orbital ATK Section needs a new name with the merger now complete.

Ah yes, I changed the public section but not the L2 section! That's now complete, thanks!

Offline cosmicvoid

• Seattle 'ish
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #133 on: 06/21/2018 06:12 am »
The video clip in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45879.msg1832067#msg1832067

does NOT show up in FireFox 60; it shows up ok in Chrome 67.
Infiinity or bust.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #134 on: 06/21/2018 11:44 am »
The video clip in this post:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45879.msg1832067#msg1832067

does NOT show up in FireFox 60; it shows up ok in Chrome 67.

All fine here via a Firefox test....

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #135 on: 08/26/2018 02:03 am »
Where in the forum setup can one go to block specific forum users? 

I found it a long time ago, but for the life of me cannot locate it now.
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #136 on: 08/26/2018 02:20 am »
Where in the forum setup can one go to block specific forum users? 

I found it a long time ago, but for the life of me cannot locate it now.

Profile -> Buddies/Ignore List -> Edit Ignore List

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #137 on: 08/28/2018 03:58 pm »
I would like to propose a forum enhancement:

Add a "Quote to Discussion Thread" button. If the mods ensured a common naming convention for thread titles - OR if the forum accepts metadata / tags this should be fairly straightforward to implement. This would allow for easily responding to an UPDATE post in the associated DISCUSSION thread. This button could be enabled only for UPDATE threads that have a corresponding DISCUSSION thread - or conversely if there is no related DISCUSSION thread then the button behaves as a normal Quote button.

Side note: I think by convention there should never be an UPDATE thread without a corresponding DISCUSSION thread.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #138 on: 08/28/2018 07:38 pm »
This was mooted before IIRC and it's an awesome idea. Issue is that it takes a fair bit of internal work I think. Not sure where it went.

I would totally love this and use it all the time.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #139 on: 08/28/2018 07:39 pm »
This was mooted before IIRC and it's an awesome idea. Issue is that it takes a fair bit of internal work I think. Not sure where it went.

I would totally love this and use it all the time.

Yeah, the update/discussion thing is something we can do. The rest is programming. I'm taking most things suggested for the next evolution of the forum (which will be pretty much the same, but with more cowbell.....no one likes major changes!)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography