Author Topic: Long March-11 first launch - Jiuquan - September 25, 2015 (01:41 UTC)  (Read 48472 times)

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Very fast development timeline -- I wouldn't be surprised if CZ-11 turns out to be a modification of an existing missile.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-03/02/c_132202656.htm

China's first solid-fuel rocket to debut before 2016: official
English.news.cn   
2013-03-02 11:03:34    

BEIJING, March 2 (Xinhua) -- China's first solid-fuel rocket Long March-11 is expected to make its first launch before 2016, a senior official of the rocket's designing institute said on Saturday.

Liang Xiaohong, deputy head of the China Academy of Launch Vehicle Technology, said the rocket will be easy to operate and cost-efficient to launch. It can remain in storage for long period and reliably launch on short notice.

"The development of the Long March-11 will greatly improve China's capabilities to rapidly enter the space and meet the emergency launching demand in case of disasters and emergencies," he told Xinhua.

The Long March-11 rocket system consists of a solid-fuel rocket and a launching support system. It will apply China's largest solid-fuel rocket engine, he said.

China has made more than 160 launching of liquid-fuel rockets successfully but is yet to make breakthrough on the development of the solid-fuel rockets.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 02:18 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Gerês - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156
Re: First CZ-11 launch expected before 2016
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2013 12:55 pm »
They are forgetting the KT-1 launch vehicle.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-03/02/c_132202656.htm

BEIJING, March 2 (Xinhua) -- China's first solid-fuel rocket Long March-11 is expected to make its first launch before 2016, a senior official of the rocket's designing institute said on Saturday.

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
Re: First CZ-11 launch expected before 2016
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2013 02:43 pm »
They are forgetting the KT-1 launch vehicle.

Speaking of that, could you recommend any good summary of what is known and speculated about the KT-1?  I tried to follow it for a while, but came away very confused.
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Bumping this thread as the Chinese apparently is going to sneak in this rocket's first flight late this month (info is from ham radio operators who have payloads on this flight)!  :o

The payload will apparently be 3 ham radio mini-satellites. I wonder which 3 will they be?  :-X
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Bumping this thread as the Chinese apparently is going to sneak in this rocket's first flight late this month (info is from ham radio operators who have payloads on this flight)!  :o

The payload will apparently be 3 ham radio mini-satellites. I wonder which 3 will they be?  :-X

It looks like that they might be TW-1A/B/C from CAS' Shanghai Micro-satellite Engineering Center. Previous reports stated that their planned orbit is a 481 km altitude SSO.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
Any information regarding the main characteristics of the CZ-11 would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
Can someone please help in translating this?

Thank you!

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
If CZ-11 will be really launched from Jiuquan, can it be from one of two Kuaizhou launch pads?
« Last Edit: 09/20/2015 11:56 am by anik »

Offline enix

• Liked: 0

Thank you!

Dear Editor:
   I am the leader of the R&D team of cube satellite in the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites. I read the news report “SECM-1 Mission in Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites: SkyNet No. 1 ABC satellite triplet” on your website in September 19th. Because of the content and unknown resource, I write this e-mail and hope that you will withdraw the report. Our main concern:

1.   While the report is about the research activities of our team, members of our team and the engineer center have never been contacted/interviewed.
2.   Part of the report will make bad influence and damage the public image of the engineer center.

Therefore, we hope that you can withdraw the report to avoid further damage. We will reserve the right to take legal action. Any report about us should ask our agreement first.

Shu-Fang Wu

Not a very precise translation. But you got the point.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

Thank you!

Dear Editor:
   I am the leader of the R&D team of cube satellite in the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites.

Not a very precise translation. But you got the point.

Thank you enix!

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
Using Google translation on a post on the 9ifly space forum, looks like the launch is schedule for 1455UTC.

Using Google translation on a post on the 9ifly space forum, looks like the launch is schedule for 1455UTC.

These are guesses which doesn't even have anything solid to base on....

No NOTAMs so far; hopefully they appear in the next 24 hours.  :-X

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

These are guesses which doesn't even have anything solid to base on....

No NOTAMs so far; hopefully they appear in the next 24 hours.  :-X

Ak, ok, thank you for the note!

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
Are any other payloads known besides the three Tianwang cubesats?

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
Are any other payloads known besides the three Tianwang cubesats?

Not that I'm aware of.

I was worrying that with zero information around that this launch might have slipped....but nope!

A2739/15 - A TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA ESTABLISHED BOUNDED BY:N374344E0990357-N384150E0991957-N383448E1000018-N373647E0994348 BACK TO START. VERTICAL LIMITS:GND-UNL. GND - UNL, 25 SEP 01:33 2015 UNTIL 25 SEP 01:53 2015. CREATED: 24 SEP 06:44 2015

So launch would be at around 01:45 UTC.

This prediction has been confirmed by one Weibo account (whose owner has provided good info on the final ramp up of LM-6's first flight last week), though he said there will be 4, not 3 satellites on board.  ;)

From the same Weibo account, this is apparently taken on site, but.....the left end doesn't look like an SRB nozzle. A Topol-type launch canister perhaps?  :P

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
From the same Weibo account, this is apparently taken on site, but.....the left end doesn't look like an SRB nozzle. A Topol-type launch canister perhaps?  :P
Yes looks indeed like a launch canister. The model shown of the CZ-11 looks certainly different.

Yes looks indeed like a launch canister. The model shown of the CZ-11 looks certainly different.

Yup!

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
I was worrying that with zero information around that this launch might have slipped....but nope!

A2739/15 - A TEMPORARY RESTRICTED AREA ESTABLISHED BOUNDED BY:N374344E0990357-N384150E0991957-N383448E1000018-N373647E0994348 BACK TO START. VERTICAL LIMITS:GND-UNL. GND - UNL, 25 SEP 01:33 2015 UNTIL 25 SEP 01:53 2015. CREATED: 24 SEP 06:44 2015

So launch would be at around 01:45 UTC.

This prediction has been confirmed by one Weibo account (whose owner has provided good info on the final ramp up of LM-6's first flight last week), though he said there will be 4, not 3 satellites on board.  ;)
A representation of the NOTAMed drop zone

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran

The fourth payload is not really unexpected, as the rocket reportedly has a performance of ~1000 kg to LEO and the three cubesats would use only a tiny fraction of this. So at least a larger dummy payload should be on board.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

The fourth payload is not really unexpected, as the rocket reportedly has a performance of ~1000 kg to LEO and the three cubesats would use only a tiny fraction of this. So at least a larger dummy payload should be on board.

The TW-1 was originally schedule as a secondary payload for a YG mission at the end of 2014.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
So, it is the launch pad where the second (third?) KZ-1 was launched from in November 2014.

Looks like some reporter tweeted on Weibo that it has successfully launched......before it could have happened! That tweet has now disappeared into deep space so yes, it's a false alarm.  :-X

The real launch should come in about 30 minutes.  ;)

Should have launched by now, but trying to confirm this on Chinese social media is difficult with all the previous "false alarm" tweets still floating around.  :P

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Should have launched by now, but trying to confirm this on Chinese social media is difficult with all the previous "false alarm" tweets still floating around.  :P
hopehully we can get abuilding number again as then we could find out the number of the LC

OK from tweets from apparently "insiders" it seems that this launch is a success after all. Will report when the "real" official news come out.  ;)

Online Chris Bergin

Really could use launch photos otherwise Rui's article will be text only, and that's no good.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Here's the confirmation from Xinhua: http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2015-09/25/c_1116676523.htm

3 satellites from the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites (the TW 1A/B/C previously mentioned) and a fourth from SAST themselves named Pujian-1.

Really could use launch photos otherwise Rui's article will be text only, and that's no good.

Still looking but haven't seen one yet.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 02:31 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

This photo is probably not the one everyone is looking for....but it's from the "insider" that I mentioned earlier.  ;)

Online Chris Bergin

So we have one crappy photo of this rocket and that's it. I hope Chinese people are more annoyed by that! ;D

Rui's article!
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/china-debuts-long-march-11-lofting-tianwang-1-trio/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
Here's the confirmation from Xinhua: http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2015-09/25/c_1116676523.htm

3 satellites from the Shanghai Engineering Center for Microsatellites (the TW 1A/B/C previously mentioned) and a fourth from SAST themselves named Pujian-1.

My attempt at understanding this article, mostly via google translate, suggests 6 satellites:

浦江一号卫星   Pujian 1, from SAST
上科大二号卫星  Shangkeda 2  from Shanghai Chinese Academy of Engineering (??)
"and four other small satellites"   (TW-1ABC plus one other I imagine?)

-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

My attempt at understanding this article, mostly via google translate, suggests 6 satellites:

Nah, it's "4 satellites including PJ-1 and SKD-2". I think SKD-2 = NJUST-2 = TW-1B, but I need more confirmation of that.

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
CZ-11: length - 20.8 m; diameter 2.0 m; launch mass: 58 t; liftoff thrust: 120 t; 350 kg to 700 km SSO; 700 kg to LEO (?)

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell

Nah, it's "4 satellites including PJ-1 and SKD-2". I think SKD-2 = NJUST-2 = TW-1B, but I need more confirmation of that.

OK, keep us posted! I wonder if SKD-2 is TW-1A since we think that's Shanghai, vs NJUST-2 and NJFA-1 which are Nanjing?

Jonathan McDowell

« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 04:58 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

About Pujiang-1:

- Small satellite to test various miniaturized satellite components (heat transfer pumps, microprocessors etc.)
- Utilizes standardized "plug-n-play" payload interfaces to able to carry wide range of instruments on board
- Have temperature sensors on board that uses WiFi to transmit data within the satellite
- Titanium antenna structure on the satellite was 3D-printed
- Was once planned to launch on the first LM-6 and the satellite even participated in the LM-6 GTV tests in November 2013 (before the 20 satellites mission ended up as its first flight). Later participated in the LM-11 GTV tests in July 2014.

Source
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 05:31 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Here are some screen captures from

http://tv.cntv.cn/video/C10601/0ce9d9c6698140eca259f761d50843c1

Looks like its carrying a big dummy payload, with the cubesats on top of the final stage around the payload adaptor.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 06:17 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Looks like its carrying a big dummy payload, with the cubesats on top of the final stage around the payload adaptor.

I think that's actually Pujiang-1.  ;)

Alas, it doesn't look like we will get any launch photos at all...

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
When was the last time that a major space power had two consecutive launches, each one being the debut of a different launch vehicle?   (I don't consider North Korea as a major space power!)
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
First three elsets arrived.

A -- 97.31°, 475.7 x 482.5 km, 94.21 min
B -- 97.31°, 474.0 x 482.2 km, 94.20 min
E -- 97.34°, 141.8 x 576.8 km, 91.75 min

This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567

C and D have arrived:
2015-051C/40927 in 466 x 486 km x 97.32°
2015-051D/40928 in 467 x 485 km x 97.30°

E could be CZ-11 upper stage

C and D have arrived:

Speaking of the CZ-11 4th stage....it looks like official reports are saying that it is a solid stage as well (specifically derived from GSO satellite apogee kick motors).

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell

C and D have arrived:

Speaking of the CZ-11 4th stage....it looks like official reports are saying that it is a solid stage as well (specifically derived from GSO satellite apogee kick motors).

The low perigee of E suggests that it also carries a liquid RCS system used for the disposal burn, at about 0153 UTC
The article I saw was comparing the launch technique (stage 1-3 sending stack to elliptical orbit, then coast to apogee
for stage 4 burn) to the GTO apogee kick motor technique. Can you point me to the bit where it's saying that the
actual hardware is derived from apogee motors?

Jonathan McDowell

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
TW-1A Tianwang-1A (aka Shangkeda-2 aka SECM-1) and TW-1B Tianwang-1B (aka NJUST-2) are 0.114 × 0.114 × 0.239 m, 1.7 kg. TW-1C Tianwang-1C (aka NJFA-1) is 0,114 × 0,114 × 0,3433 m, 2.9 kg.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
I saw reports with three stage solid with YF-50 powered orbital stage for maneuvering.
Certainly looks like Epsilon and Vega have 'fierce competition' now ..
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
TW-1A Tianwang-1A (aka Shangkeda-2 aka SECM-1) and TW-1B Tianwang-1B (aka NJUST-2) are 0.114 × 0.114 × 0.239 m, 1.7 kg. TW-1C Tianwang-1C (aka NJFA-1) is 0,114 × 0,114 × 0,3433 m, 2.9 kg.

i.e. TW-1A and 1B are 2U cubesats, while TW 1C is a 3U cubesat

Online Satori

• Global Moderator

i.e. TW-1A and 1B are 2U cubesats, while TW 1C is a 3U cubesat

Yes, that was already mentioned on the NSF article about the launch.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Is CZ-11 based on DF-31 or DF-41, or something else? Is it related to the Kuaizhou launch vehicle in any way?

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 09/26/2015 08:03 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
Is CZ-11 based on DF-31 or DF-41, or something else? Is it related to the Kuaizhou launch vehicle in any way?

- Ed Kyle
It's 2m in diameter, so it appears not. DF-31 and -41 are 1.7m, and Kuaizhou is 1.4m.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell

- Ed Kyle
It's 2m in diameter, so it appears not. DF-31 and -41 are 1.7m, and Kuaizhou is 1.4m.

I've seen a variety of claims for the diameter of DF-31/41: 1.7m, 2.0m, 2.25m as well as disagreement on whether the DF-41 and DF-31 have the same diameter or not.
What do you think is an authoritative source for the DF-31 and DF-41 diameters?

And the 2m diameter quoted for CZ-11 might be including some slop.

So I don't think we can rule out the identity, and my guess is that in fact CZ-11's lower stages are taken with minor mods
from DF-31 or 41, given the short development time and the fact that the diameter *might* be the same

Jonathan McDowell

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33

- Ed Kyle

I've seen a variety of claims for the diameter of DF-31/41: 1.7m, 2.0m, 2.25m as well as disagreement on whether the DF-41 and DF-31 have the same diameter or not.
What do you think is an authoritative source for the DF-31 and DF-41 diameters?
I'm just going off what Norbert Brügge has, but I don't see anything further on his site about where those figures are sourced from, or how he derived them if he came up with them himself.
« Last Edit: 09/27/2015 04:43 pm by Kryten »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
The DF-31 transporter erector launch tube has some similarities to the launch tube used by CZ-11.  The transporter itself is different and, of course, DF-31 only has three stages (reportedly).  The comparison becomes better if the CZ-11 image is stretched horizontally to a 4:3 format.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 09/27/2015 05:23 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Some linkage materials (info?) coming out of the 3D Printer interests.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33141.msg1430449#msg1430449

lots of models shown in Chinese.
« Last Edit: 09/30/2015 07:33 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline savuporo

Another video here, hot fire test and more complete animation. They show whats clearly a liquid engine which i'm assuming is the upper stage YF-50, but just guessing

http://v.ifeng.com/news/tech/201509/012d1da9-5081-4eab-964d-305ca0cc1a7b.shtml

Original thread:
http://lt.cjdby.net/thread-2079159-1-1.html

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Another video here, hot fire test and more complete animation. They show whats clearly a liquid engine which i'm assuming is the upper stage YF-50, but just guessing

That looks way too big to be an upper stage engine for a vehicle this size. Here's the payload fairing separation.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273

Original thread:
That looks to me like the totally unrelated YF-100. Which I guess an ENG editor might mix in the reel just because he had it. Specially if he was covering the LM-6 launch, too.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

Original thread:

sure these pics don't belong on the model 6?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline kaiser

• Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 24
So, does anyone know about this GAMANET protocol?  I have some S-Band stuff that should be able to pick it up.  But once it's picked up, I need to know how to process it into something meaningful  :D

Offline savuporo

So, does anyone know about this GAMANET protocol?  I have some S-Band stuff that should be able to pick it up.  But once it's picked up, I need to know how to process it into something meaningful  :D

http://gamalink.tekever.com/

See here : http://cordis.europa.eu/result/rcn/172006_en.html

I guess you'd need the exact spec, which doesnt seem to be open, but
https://iafastro.directory/iac/archive/tree/IAC-13/B4/6B/IAC-13,B4,6B,9,x19085.brief.pdf
« Last Edit: 10/01/2015 11:01 pm by savuporo »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report

Original thread:

sure these pics don't belong on the model 6?
The last simulated launch shown on the video was a CZ-6.  The other simulated launches looked like CZ-11.  There were also a couple of bits showing liquid engines or stages, but the opening test firing looked like a CZ-11 (DF-31?) solid motor first stage.  Similarities to Castor 120.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 10/03/2015 01:14 am by edkyle99 »

It seems like a good idea to post some shots of the 1st launch of the CZ-11 on the day the 2nd flies. These have been just dug up by one of the mods of that Chinese forum I visit frequently. ;)

Offline limen4

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 63
Images from a ground test of the CZ-11 show the designation WROII at the payload fairing. What does it mean? Maybe "II" stands for "11" but I have no idea for WRO.

Offline fs10inator

• Любитель говна.
  • Lahore
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 89
Bumped for a cold launch.

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92
Looks like there is a base charge to eject it from the canister, followed by ignition of the first stage motor at an altitude of about 10m.

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
The in-flight photo shows a CZ-4C rocket, not CZ-11

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
Thanks to tnt22 from Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, now we are knowing that it was Y20001401.

https://www.newscctv.net/219news/video.html?videoId=033CB9C9-28FD-3C49-C30A-3A24CEE13C4C

Online Satori

• Global Moderator
Thanks to tnt22 from Novosti kosmonavtiki forum, now we are knowing that it was Y20001401.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography