Author Topic: Flight crew assignments  (Read 1898112 times)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Flight crew assignments
« Reply #2720 on: 01/18/2018 02:40 pm »
Are there any information about a crew change on Soyuz MS-09?
According to the pictures and the text in this pages http://www.gctc.ru/main.php?id=4060 and http://www.gctc.ru/main.php?id=4064 it looks like Serena Auñón-Chancellor is the third member of this crew instead of Jeanette Epps.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #2721 on: 01/18/2018 05:00 pm »
Yes Epps was replaced.

Jacques :-)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2722 on: 01/18/2018 05:04 pm »
Yes Epps was replaced.
Thank you. Can you tell us more changes?

Offline tonyq

• Isle of Man
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2723 on: 01/18/2018 07:30 pm »
Yes Epps was replaced.

Does she drop to the back-up crew, and then prime crew for MS-11, or is she out of the crew flow entirely?

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2724 on: 01/18/2018 10:51 pm »
Astronaut set to be first African American on space station crew removed from flight
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-011818a-nasa-astronaut-jeanette-epps-removed.html

...NASA announced the crew change on Thursday (Jan. 18), stating that Epps will assume duties in the Astronaut Office at Johnson Space Center in Houston, and "be considered for assignment to future missions."

The reason for Epps' removal was not given. Brandi Dean, a NASA spokesperson, said that a number of factors were considered.

"These decisions are personnel matters for which NASA doesn't provide information," Dean told collectSPACE.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #2725 on: 01/18/2018 10:53 pm »
Here is the actual NASA press release

January 18, 2018
RELEASE 18-004
NASA Announces Updated Crew Assignments for Space Station Missions
International Space Station Solar Panels
Credits: NASA

NASA is announcing an addition to the NASA lineup for upcoming launches, and making changes to some assignments for International Space Station missions in 2018.

Serena Auñón-Chancellor, who previously was assigned to Expedition 58/59, has been reassigned to the Expedition 56/57 crew, launching in June. She is taking the place of astronaut Jeanette Epps, who will return to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston to assume duties in the Astronaut Office and be considered for assignment to future missions. Anne McClain, a member of the 2013 astronaut class, will fly on the Expedition 58/59 crew, launching in November.

Auñón-Chancellor, from Fort Collins, Colorado, joined the astronaut corps in 2009 and has been at NASA since 2006, when she became a flight surgeon. Before being selected as an astronaut, she spent more than nine months in Russia supporting medical operations for space station crew members, including water survival training in the Ukraine, and served as the deputy lead for medical operations for NASA’s Orion spacecraft.

In addition to a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from George Washington University, Auñón-Chancellor holds a doctorate in medicine from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, is board certified in internal and aerospace medicine, and earned a master’s degree in public health from the University of Texas Medical Branch.

McClain is from Spokane, Washington. She earned a bachelor’s degree in mechanical and aeronautical engineering from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 2002. She then went on to the University of Bath in England for a master’s degree in aerospace engineering, followed by the University of Bristol in England for a master’s degree in international relations.

She was commissioned as an officer in the U.S. Army in 2002, and earned her wings as a Kiowa Warrior pilot in 2005. She served 15 months in Operation Iraqi Freedom, flying more than 800 combat hours. McClain graduated from the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School in June 2013. She has over 2,000 flight hours in more than 20 rotary- and fixed-wing aircraft, and has logged time as a pilot in command, air mission commander, instructor pilot and test pilot.

Follow Serena Auñón-Chancellor on Twitter at:

https://twitter.com/AstroSerena

Follow Anne McClain on Twitter at:

http://www.twitter.com/AstroAnnimal
« Last Edit: 01/18/2018 10:54 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2726 on: 01/19/2018 05:44 am »
Is there any word on NASA crew assignments for 2019? A one-year training flow for ISS expeditions seems extremely short. Unless there's astros already in training, but not publicly announced yet?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2727 on: 01/19/2018 08:02 am »
Is there any word on NASA crew assignments for 2019? A one-year training flow for ISS expeditions seems extremely short. Unless there's astros already in training, but not publicly announced yet?
Christina H. Koch is good candidate. She will take part in winter survival training in Russia next month.
https://twitter.com/Astro_Christina/status/951975197292326912
Today's lesson: Opening the front door on the Soyuz descent module. For winter survival training next month, nobody's gonna open that hatch but us!

And of course Shannon Walker, who is member of the back-up crew of Soyuz MS-10, so in line for Soyuz MS-12 and commander of EC-60.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2018 08:37 am by Olaf »

Online Delta7

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2728 on: 01/19/2018 01:27 pm »

For all we know it could be Epps. Her removal could stem from a temporary medical condition or personal situation. Alexander Skvortsov was replaced by Anton Shkaplerov on Expeditions 54/55 for what was described as a temporary medical condition but is now assigned to Expeditions 58/59.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #2729 on: 01/19/2018 02:33 pm »
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Zyklotrop

• Germany
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2730 on: 01/19/2018 02:42 pm »
I know it sounds odd, but Epps removal could be linked to the recent ZUMA failure. Epps is one of two group 20 astronauts with connections to the intelligence community. The other is Fisher, who just happened to be on board the ISS when USA 276 (NROL-76) made its unusual close approach to the station. USA 276 in turn has been associated with ZUMA by several observers, mostly due to their similar (target) orbits.

Admittedly, such a speculation might not be the best subject for a first post  ;) But be assured, that I normally stay away from such topics. My interest for the upcoming ISS expedition 56/57 is most and for all due to my fellow-countryman Alexander Gerst.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2731 on: 01/19/2018 09:57 pm »
https://twitter.com/waynehale/status/954462259832639488
Just saw the announcement that Ellen Ochoa, JSC Center Director, is retiring.
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/000705.html
Ellen Ochoa will retire from NASA as center director of Johnson Space Center in May. From a memo she sent to center employees:
Earlier today at the All Hands, I let people know that I am going to retire from NASA at the end of May. It's a really tough decision to determine when to make that transition; for me, it comes down to my personal situation. I reach 30 years at NASA, and my younger son turns 18, so this summer is a natural point for our family in which to move on to the next phase. We'll be moving to Boise, ID, and I intend to be involved with a number of activities that interest me (including getting back to playing flute, which I once considered for a career!). Of course, I'll continue — always — to be a strong proponent of NASA and STEM activities in general.
We're fortunate to have a team of excellent leaders here at JSC, so I know I'll be leaving JSC in good hands. You'll hear more about JSC leadership plans from Robert Lightfoot later in the spring. In the meantime, I have several months to go as Center Director, and you can count on me to continue to be fully committed to our mission and our people here.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2018 11:04 am by Olaf »

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #2732 on: 01/20/2018 02:54 am »
I know it sounds odd, but Epps removal could be linked to the recent ZUMA failure. Epps is one of two group 20 astronauts with connections to the intelligence community. The other is Fisher, who just happened to be on board the ISS when USA 276 (NROL-76) made its unusual close approach to the station. USA 276 in turn has been associated with ZUMA by several observers, mostly due to their similar (target) orbits.

Admittedly, such a speculation might not be the best subject for a first post  ;) But be assured, that I normally stay away from such topics. My interest for the upcoming ISS expedition 56/57 is most and for all due to my fellow-countryman Alexander Gerst.

Welcome to the forum, Zyklotrop!

Even though most speculations turn out to be false, I'm impressed by your opinion.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #2733 on: 01/20/2018 05:27 am »

Such speculation was due to the expected inclination of Zuma.  But, subsequent viewing of the upper stage over Sudan indicated that the stage was at a much higher altitude than the station (i.e. ~900-1000km).  So, there is less reason to speculate a possible connection between Zuma and ISS.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #2734 on: 01/21/2018 08:49 pm »

Absolutely not related.  Only trying to read too much into things.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2735 on: 01/21/2018 08:52 pm »

That is absurd.  There is no such connection
« Last Edit: 01/21/2018 09:57 pm by gongora »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #2736 on: 01/22/2018 12:49 pm »
NASA astronaut Jessica Meir started training in the CPC

January 22, 2018

In the Center for Cosmonaut Training named after Yu.A.  Gagarin held a presentation to the leadership and staff of the CPC NASA astronaut Jessica Meir, who from January 22 starts training as a flight engineer of the transport manned spacecraft (TPK) Soyuz MS and the ISS flight engineer as part of the ISS-60/61 backup crew.

http://www.gctc.ru/main.php?id=4067
« Last Edit: 01/22/2018 12:50 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2737 on: 01/22/2018 01:56 pm »
The first picture above suggest, that Daniel Burbank is back on duty in StarCity.
Does anyone know, if this is correct, and if yes, when he started again this job?

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 2164
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #2738 on: 01/22/2018 04:18 pm »
https://twitter.com/Astro_Soichi/status/954483256551907328

Soichi Noguchi 野口 聡 @Astro_Soichi

Let's get serious with #EVA power tools! My good friend & training mate Drew Morgan on the left.
---
SMS ;-).

Offline kevind

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2739 on: 01/22/2018 04:38 pm »
This post states Jessica Meir was beginning her training as a member of the Expedition 60/61 backup crew.  I have never seen who is training as backup for 58/59 or 59/60.  Anyone know who they might be?

Tags: Crew 9 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography