Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 287741 times)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Re: SpaceX Falcon-9 - Thaicom-8 - May 27, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #260 on: 05/27/2016 09:54 pm »
The commentators were saying that it might have just been something getting on the camera window and it might clear off. Certainly you could see that the grid fins were starting to cook from re-entry.

I'm thinking it was SPAM combustion products (SPAM soot, in other words) from the grid fins coating the lens.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline jimbowman

• Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #261 on: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm »
So.... doesn't it look like the entire entry burn takes place before there is any heating type stuff happening? Does this mean that the whole "plasma shield thing" or whatever isn't happening?

It did look like the grid fins were on fire, or getting cooked. Way to go SpaceX.

Matthew

Could be perfectly normal given that was the first time we have seen onboard F9 reentry footage like that.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm by jimbowman »

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #262 on: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm »
Very cool - was that ablative stuff clogging the camera lens onboard stage 1? Wonder if there's a way to avoid that.

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
« Reply #263 on: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm »
Anyone notice on staging what appeared to be a large amount of pitch/yaw?  I saw a thruster firing and then it was corrected on S2 ignition.  I mean I don't remember the earth moving so much after staging.  Also did anyone here the SECO call?
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #264 on: 05/27/2016 09:55 pm »
Could mean it is happening. Saw some spots on the left grid fin start glowing just a couple seconds after engine shutdown. Happened pretty quick.

Yeah, it is interesting. I guess it didn't "look to me" (me knowing little) how I would have expected if there was some kind of "protective sheath". I would have expected the camera to probably not have been working for one thing, and a dramatic change as soon as the engines shut down. Instead it seemed like nothing at all was happening during the burn (perfect shield effect?) and then some time after the shutdown (not too long mind you) it started getting hot...
« Last Edit: 05/27/2016 09:56 pm by sewebster »

Offline Mike_1179

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #265 on: 05/27/2016 09:56 pm »
So.... doesn't it look like the entire entry burn takes place before there is any heating type stuff happening? Does this mean that the whole "plasma shield thing" or whatever isn't happening?

It did look like the grid fins were on fire, or getting cooked.

Matthew

Looked like the center of the grid fin, near the actuator - I thought we were looking at hydraulic fluid burning there.

Offline arsenal

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #266 on: 05/27/2016 09:56 pm »
It looks like the interstage camera clouded up and then cracked.
I saw one or two frames of what looked like a clear view before it froze. So at least it appeared to have cleared off a little bit. But yes it looked like it cracked again. Hopefully SpaceX can recover the video like they did for the CRS-8 mission and upload it to Youtube. The view we got before it froze was amazing though. Maybe they will be able to upload more than last time. A full onboard liftoff to landing video would be incredible.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #267 on: 05/27/2016 09:56 pm »
Looked to me on initial view that the fiery grid fin was the major contributor to the camera getting baked.

Probably wrong, but that was my first impression.

Baked... !?! 

EDIT: (based on many replies here) Geez, the number of people who think that they are image analysts never fails to astound.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2016 09:58 pm by Lars-J »

Offline whitelancer64

Very cool - was that ablative stuff clogging the camera lens onboard stage 1? Wonder if there's a way to avoid that.

No, it's condensation from the atmosphere.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1453
  • Likes Given: 2379
« Reply #269 on: 05/27/2016 09:57 pm »
It looks like the interstage camera clouded up and then cracked.

Cracked? Why do you think that?

Amazing footage S1 footage, though. A wonderful surprise!

It has cracked once before.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline Earendil

Consider what we are witnessing here.. A year ago there were so many sceptics landing this way was even possible..  Very very soon it will look trivial..
No need to speculate on every tiny detail.. these people in SX know what they're doing..
Great times to live in!

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Tapatalk

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
« Reply #271 on: 05/27/2016 09:57 pm »
Jaw on the floor at that onboard reentry footage

That was VERY cool.  They are starting to make this S1 landing thing look easy.

Routine, sure. Boring perhaps after a few more landings.
But easy... Then do it yourself.
If it was easy, all other launch providers would be doing it !
Sorry to be an ass. The last thing we'll ever be able to say is that rocket landings are easy.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline toruonu

Anyone notice on staging what appeared to be a large amount of pitch/yaw?  I saw a thruster firing and then it was corrected on S2 ignition.  I mean I don't remember the earth moving so much after staging.  Also did anyone here the SECO call?

Yeah, that got me worried too for a moment, thought there had been contact during separation and we might have LOM, but the thruster corrected the initial momentum and the engine the rest, but would be interesting to know what happened as it didn't quite look by plan...

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #273 on: 05/27/2016 09:58 pm »

Yeah, I noticed what I thought was a slow wobble right at the beginning of the stage 2 burn.  Seemed to dampen out after  a few seconds.
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Joffan

Yeah, it was odd -  I wondered it they (deliberately) started the S1 flip motion before stage separation, then corrected the S2 back into line when its engine started up.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #275 on: 05/27/2016 09:59 pm »
But easy... Then do it yourself.
If it was easy, all other launch providers would be doing it !
Sorry to be an ass. The last thing we'll ever be able to say is that rocket landings are easy.
"Make it look easy" usually implies the thing being done is complicated/hard, but it is pulled off so well that it "looks easy".  I think it is appropriate here...

Offline HarryM

• California
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #276 on: 05/27/2016 09:59 pm »

Seemed like that to me too.

Offline Greg Hullender

• Seattle
    • Rocket Stack Rank
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #277 on: 05/27/2016 10:00 pm »
Great to see!

I'd agree that it's still "experimental" until they refly one. We still don't know that they're in good enough condition to reuse without prohibitive amounts of refurbishing.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #278 on: 05/27/2016 10:00 pm »
Well if they were expecting to lose 30% of landed stages, they are quickly falling behind.  Typical.

#SpaceXNeverHitsItsNumbersOrSomething
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online mtakala24

Anyone know where spaceX is going to store this stage? LC-39A is getting full...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography