Author Topic: ISS Bartolomeo - Additional External Payload Facilities  (Read 42222 times)

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
A little late, but I think it's about time to start this topic.
Airbus Defence & Space and Teledyne Brown Engineering have the ambition to add an external platform to the ISS, so more external payloads can be hosted.
The first time I read about this was in the slides from Nanoracks Workshop 2015 (europe). [Christian Steimle - Bartolomeo Concept]
Linked to the twitter accound of Christian Steimle are a Poster and a Presentation about the Bartolomeo platform.

The June 2th Airbus Defence & Space posted this press release; English PDF.
Airbus D&S and ESA signed the collaboration contract to start the development and planning for Bartolomeo.
Multiple Satellite and Space news outleads posted an article about this. Satnews; Satellite Today; Parabolic Arc; SpaceRef.

This topic is for news about Bartolomeo, and your oppinion about it.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: ISS Bartolomeo - Additional External Payload Facilities
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2016 04:39 pm »
A little late, but I think it's about time to start this topic.
Airbus Defence & Space and Teledyne Brown Engineering have the ambition to add an external platform to the ISS, so more external payloads can be hosted.
The first time I read about this was in the slides from Nanoracks Workshop 2015 (europe). [Christian Steimle - Bartolomeo Concept]
Linked to the twitter accound of Christian Steimle are a Poster and a Presentation about the Bartolomeo platform.

The June 2th Airbus Defence & Space posted this press release; English PDF.
Airbus D&S and ESA signed the collaboration contract to start the development and planning for Bartolomeo.
Multiple Satellite and Space news outleads posted an article about this. Satnews; Satellite Today; Parabolic Arc; SpaceRef.

This topic is for news about Bartolomeo, and your oppinion about it.

Well some of this is in L2.
I ve been waiting quite a while for this to pop out over into the public realm.

Offline Space Pete

Here's a look at the Bartolomeo concept!

Very cool idea - attaching it to COL via the trunnion/keel pins.

There are many of these now redundant pins all over the ISS (they were used to hold modules in the Shuttle's payload bay), and it's great to see them being re-purposed as structural attachment points for new hardware.

I hope to see some UK payloads on this!
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 01:32 am by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #3 on: 06/20/2016 01:51 pm »
quite a bit larger than I was expecting.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: 06/20/2016 05:50 pm »
Could bartolomeo be a major part of ESA's ISS contribution for the ISS exploitation 2020-2024 period?
Becides te ACLS-rack, and possibly a second Orion service module (not my favorite option).
I think it could also be mounted to PMM.

Bartolomeo can support 4 or 5 FRAM/ExPA |CEPF payloads and 8 CLPA (wedge) payloads. This will nearly double the external ESA and US payload locations. A EDRS transmitter/receiver could also be very useful to the ISS.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2016 05:49 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 987
« Reply #5 on: 06/20/2016 06:30 pm »
Will the existing Columbus external payload locations continue to be used?  I haven't heard of anything being mounted on them post-Shuttle, though I haven't been tracking them too closely.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #6 on: 06/20/2016 07:06 pm »
Will the existing Columbus external payload locations continue to be used?  I haven't heard of anything being mounted on them post-Shuttle, though I haven't been tracking them too closely.

HDEV was attached to SDN on 30.04.2014 (delivered by SpX-3)
RapidScat was attached to SDX on 30.09.2014 (delivered by SpX-4)

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 987
« Reply #7 on: 06/20/2016 07:39 pm »
What do SDN and SDX stand for?

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #8 on: 06/20/2016 09:16 pm »
What do SDN and SDX stand for?

Details of Columbus external cargo sites attached.
« Last Edit: 06/20/2016 09:19 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #9 on: 06/20/2016 09:59 pm »
Could bartolomeo be a major part of ESA's ISS contribution for the ISS exploitation 2020-2024 period?
Becides te ACLS-rack, and possibly a second Orion service modue (not my favorite option).
I think it could also be mounted to PMM.

Bartolomeo can support 4 or 5 FRAM /EPF payloads and 8 CLPA (wedge) payloads. This will nearly double the external ESA and US payload locations. A EDRS transmitter/receiver could also be very usefull to the ISS.
If there wasn't Keep out zones on certain modules these platforms would be most effective if deployed on both sides of Destiny, Leonardo, Kibo, and Columbus. Nanoracks LLC's European division and its ADS (Airbus DS) and TAS (Thales Alenia Space) design and manufacturing partners is presently working with ESA to develop further expansion options if ISS is further extended to 2028 or later. The design team also involves some major US and Russian companies heritage in  Shuttle and ISS expertise in unpressurised platforms and carriers.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #10 on: 06/21/2016 11:44 am »
The Japanese airlock is only certified to do 12 airlock cycles per year. So for Bartolomeo to work efficiently, the NanoRacks Bishop airlock is required. Most CLPA payloads will be launched internally and brought outside with one of the airlocks. (It uses the same coupling interface as the Kaber deployer). Also the MISSE-X and MUSES payload facilities will require the airlock to exchange payloads.

The CEPF facilities will continue to be used when Bartolomeo is connected to the ISS.   
Two European external payloads (CEPF); ACES (Atomic Clock Ensemble in Space) and ASIM (Atmosphere-Space Interactions Monitor), are still planned to launch. SOLAR has been on the ISS for much longer than initially planned.
Launch opportunities as external payloads are a scarce resource. 

If I'm not mistaken, by 2018 all external FRAM and EPF locations will be occupied. JEM-EF also fills up fast so around 2020 there would be a requirement for Bartolomeo.
I prefer a contribution like this much more than a Orion service module, but we shall see what is decided at the European ministerial conference. The ESA memberstates have not even committed fully to ISS exploitation until 2020. For system development planning they need to look to live extension beyond 2024, the time Russia will stop supporting the ISS. But in Europe first the decision has to be made to support the program to 2020 and later 2024.
The ESA memberstates want to supply hardware and services to the ISS program. And I think Bartolomeo would be a nice hardware contribution to the ISS program along with data downloading service via EDRS. I think the EDRS communications terminal might be showed in some pictures.         

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: 07/27/2016 03:48 pm »
There is a new Bartolomeo presentation given at the ISS R&D 2016 conference.
Link: ISS R&D_Tuesday_2016A LEO Commerce Overview_Bartolomeo...  (Direct)

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #12 on: 07/31/2016 05:26 am »
I wonder if this would get in the way of VV.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #13 on: 09/23/2016 12:30 am »
Coming Soon: Bartolomeo

Airbus Defence and Space

Published on Sep 22, 2016
Bartolomeo enables the hosting of external payloads in low-Earth orbit, on-board the International Space Station ISS. Application areas include (but are not limited to) Earth observation, robotics, material science or astrophysics; payloads can be hosted for institutional and private organizations alike.

Named after the younger brother of Christopher Columbus, the Bartolomeo platform is attached to the European Columbus Module and operated by Airbus Defence and Space. With its All-in-One Mission Service, the company provides all mission-related elements and can even assist when it comes to building the actual payload

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #14 on: 09/30/2016 01:22 pm »
http://www.space-airbusds.com/en/news2/airbus-defence-and-space-and-australia-s-neumann-space-sign-first-payload.html

http://neumannspace.com/fast/

Just signed a contract with the first Bartolemeo customer. Neumann Space of Australia will be sending up a multi-user facility (insert Yo Dawg meme...) supporting payloads between 1 and 50 kg. Launch is planned for late 2018

Offline markde

• Boston
    • MKI
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: 10/03/2016 04:15 am »
What I want to know is how much it costs, and what do I get? Are launch costs included in the service? For how long can I rent it?

Offline markde

• Boston
    • MKI
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: 10/03/2016 04:23 am »
The links above say USD$50,000 per kilo, up to twelve months, and all launch costs, power, etc. are handled by Airbus.

1 kg mass will be sent together with our Neumann Drive to be operated in space for up to twelve months. We are glad to rely on Airbus Defence and Space to handle launch, power, in-orbit installation, communications down from the ISS and all the other bits

Interesting. A little more than $20k /lb, so like every other launch service. Except this also includes power and comm for a year. So it costs roughly the same as a cubesat but you don't need to develop a comm or battery/solar array subsystem, you're promised it will stay alive for 1 year and will have access to more power than cubesats ever could, and you have about 18 months to develop and prepare it. As icing on the cake you don't have to waste any time with space rating requirements. Interesting possibilities. Makes me want to talk to coworkers tomorrow about ideas.

« Last Edit: 10/03/2016 04:30 am by markde »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #17 on: 10/15/2017 09:27 pm »
Airbus has a Bartolomeo page inside it's website.
http://www.airbus.com/space/human-spaceflight/bartolomeo.html (changed)

(It's low quality info)

And a Bartolomeo status update presentation was given at the ISS R&D 2017 conference.
Conference Abstracts; Bartolomeo
The design of Bartolomeo has changed.
« Last Edit: 12/19/2017 07:51 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #18 on: 10/19/2017 12:50 pm »
Airbus has a Bartolomeo page inside it's website.
http://space.airbus.com/portfolio/human-spaceflight/bartolomeo/

(It's low quality info)

And a Bartolomeo status update presentation was given at the ISS R&D 2017 conference.
Conference Abstracts; Bartolomeo
The design of Bartolomeo has changed.

Here's the 2017 presented update.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement