Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-16 - August 14, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 122939 times)

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 - JCSAT-16 - August 14, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #220 on: 10/01/2016 10:03 am »

No they cannot change the reentry profile. The upper stage was left in geostationary transfer orbit, they had no control over its reentry. It could have fall anywhere on Earth between 28 deg N and 28 deg S.

That would be true for the parking orbit. But for GTO, the perigee is always close to the equator which is where you would expect entry as the orbit decays. So it's not surprising that the debris was found in Indonesia.
Douglas Clark

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #221 on: 10/19/2016 08:19 pm »
Does anyone know if this sat has been renamed when becoming operational ?

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #222 on: 10/19/2016 08:47 pm »
Does anyone know if this sat has been renamed when becoming operational ?

It has apparently not yet been renamed.

Offline Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 248
« Reply #223 on: 10/19/2016 08:58 pm »
Thanks Gunter !  :)

Offline inonepiece

• Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #224 on: 12/02/2016 08:30 pm »
Is there a scheduled time of day for this launch yet?  Even a very approximate / preliminary one?

I think you're missing the first post in this thread, the news articles and the update thread, which is some achievement of internet lazyness! ;)

That's rather harsh. Not everyone lives and breathes for every post on NSF, nor may they be aware of Chris's usual modus operandi of putting such details in that first post. It's common on many other internet fora for details to be edited into the title of the thread.

For that matter, there are some NSF common practices that don't even seem to apply to the SpaceX-specific forums, which can cause confusion for newbies. For instance, every other launch even on NSF is covered in the Live Events forum hidden away in the General category. Except SpaceX launches, which get their own coverage in the Update thread here in this forum. I'm sure there are a few other inconsistencies I could point out if I had my second cup of coffee.

So tl;dr - go easy on the newbies, why don't you?
Thank you Herb -- I think your advice is good, though I'm quite sure SpaceXfan was just giving me a lighthearted and justified prod, no offence taken.

I do also agree the update thread first post might benefit from being written in a more standard format, which would make the information one is after quicker to find and so reduce posts like mine -- I would certainly have looked there but evidently missed it.  Maybe the top of update first posts should have a simple standard-ish list of the things that apply to most missions and are commonly looked for?  Something like that below?  Other people will know better than me what people want to see, but for my own purposes I think I'm most often looking for these details (plus of course wordier discussion of things like possible technical problems etc):

NET: 2016-12-15 23:03 UTC, launch window ends 2016-12-16 03:14
Pad: Vandenberg AFB
Orbit: LEO
Landing?: RTLS
Customer: Megaspacecorp

I realise there's also the first post of the manifest updates thread, which is great to get an overview, but that seems to be updated a little more conservatively than the individual update threads so I tend to look in those as launch dates approach.

Edit: The Iridium next update thread already looks like an improvement in this direction, though hard to tell with only one update thread around at the moment...

Maybe this post is now in the wrong place...
« Last Edit: 12/02/2016 09:04 pm by inonepiece »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #225 on: 12/04/2016 03:56 pm »
I like the idea of standardizing first posts to certain kinds of threads. That's probably off topic to discuss here, but could be discussed in this section perhaps  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=50
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography