Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - ORBCOMM-2 - Dec. 21, 2015 (Return To Flight) DISCUSSION  (Read 1340997 times)

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
A launch rate that allows them to "clear the field" of ready payloads will cut the comment about not supporting the launch date will be highly diminished.

As a business manage things such that cost impacts are minimized (such as producing as normal all parts not requiring rework or engineering changes) even if you have to purchase some short term industrial storage. This is a private business not a government contractor who would have to stop all work during an investigation.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
When helium expands, it heats.

I don't think so. I think you are confusing the fact that if you heat a gas, it expands. But the converse is when it expands it absorbs heat.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428

I don't think so. I think you are confusing the fact that if you heat a gas, it expands. But the converse is when it expands it absorbs heat.

Not with He

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 2542
Elon Musk was today in Berlin at an event with Sigmar Garbiel, German Minister of Economics and Energy.

http://www.bmwi.de/DE/Mediathek/videos,did=727262.html

There he mentioned that the next launch should be in 68 days from today.
They should provide a video of that livestream in a short time for those who want to watch it.

« Last Edit: 09/24/2015 02:03 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163

Not with He

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule–Thomson_effect

Well, I learned something to-day.

"Helium has a negative Joule-Thomson coefficient at normal ambient temperatures, meaning it heats up when allowed to freely expand. Only below its Joule-Thomson inversion temperature (of about 32 to 50 K at 1 atmosphere) does it cool upon free expansion.[10] Once precooled below this temperature, helium can be liquefied through expansion cooling."
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Joaosg

Elon Musk was today in Berlin at an event with Sigmar Garbiel, German Minister of Economics and Energy.

They should provide a video of that livestream in a short time for those who want to watch it.

December 1st? With such a precise number like 68 days, looks like they finally are getting that schedule fixed and very well defined..
« Last Edit: 09/24/2015 02:03 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

December 1st? With such a precise number like 68 days, looks like they finally are getting that schedule fixed and very well defined..

Strange he can be so precise when you can't be that specific even in a nominal flow so far out, nevermind RTF. Anyway!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
This 1 Dec date makes me think they did a testing survey of other critical parts from vendors that they did not normally test to see if any other parts supplies had similar quality problems. I wonder if they found any other vendor part quality problems?

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
I listened to the stream and he said:
We will launch again in a couple of month, maybe 6 to 8 weeks. If all goes well, we will be able to land the rocket. .. ohh.. although we will be happy if just gets to orbit of course. but hopefully it can come back and land as well.

Offline Shanuson

• Liked: 327
  • Likes Given: 2542

Strange he can be so precise when you can't be that specific even in a nominal flow so far out, nevermind RTF. Anyway!

Well the 68 days was a quote from a summary on another forum, I was to late to see the beginning live, rewatched that now,
he starts to talk about space at minute 14.
For RTF he actually said couple of month, 6-8 weeks.
I don't know how that other person comes to the idea that it is 68 days from now. Sry to have reported that wrong.

Offline Blizzzard

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 292

6-8 weeks is still in line with what we were expecting for SES-9, right?

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539

Yes.

Offline Chris Bergin

Yep. That's more like it.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline John Santos

• Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 143

Yep. That's more like it.

6-8 weeks is Nov 5 to Nov 19.  Current NET date for SES 9 (according to another site) is Nov 17, so this sounds more like a move left than right on RTF.

Maybe someone heard "6 to 8" as "sixty-eight", and thought "68 weeks can't be right, he must have said 68 days."  If you listen in on EVAs and other activities where numbers are important, they always repeat numbers and units very carefully for exactly this reason.  I wish people did the same in press conferences and reporting.

My guess on the pressure back to normal is

Bottle breaks free and helium leaks(a lot, very high pressure) Part of the pipe still attached, hit the top of the lox tank and pipe bend and seal the tank.  Like if you try to bend a straw it will not make a U it will make a V and seal.

Hugo

liked the interview in Berlin today. And since i also speak german i get all of the conversation.

Offline Chris Bergin

Current NET date for SES 9 (according to another site) is Nov 17

Oh yeah, NASASpaceflight.com. I go on that site often ;)

Offline WindyCity

He wasn't so precise. I just watched the video, published on 9/24/15. Musk said, "We hope to launch again in a couple of months, uh, so I guess maybe in six or eight weeks from now."

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Yeah Baby!!

« Last Edit: 09/25/2015 01:40 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Awesome.

... but I can't help but notice the logo is covered in a sheet of ice, thanks to the chilled RP1  :P

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Also our first view of the new (in-ground) test stand in action!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography