Author Topic: Modelling Mars  (Read 221411 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Re: Modelling Mars
« Reply #20 on: 09/28/2014 02:57 am »
I just found out that this book was adapted as a radio play by the BBC back in 1999!  I can't find a download for it anywhere, unfortunately.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #21 on: 09/28/2014 03:05 am »
I have it in mp3 form, taken from the audio cassette version I purchased from Amazon uk some years back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0563552417/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #22 on: 09/28/2014 04:09 am »
"The logo was a disk circled by "Ares" and their three surnames.  The circle contained a stylised, pencil-shaped Ares cluster blasting towards a red star; the ships exhaust billowed out to become the stars and stripes wing of an American eagle, peering sternly at the departing spacecraft.... It was a clumsy, cluttered design... kitsch and embarrassing...."
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #23 on: 09/28/2014 01:03 pm »
That is pretty close to what they show in the picture above. (Except it is a Saturn V and not Ares and Mars is a planet and not a red star)
« Last Edit: 09/28/2014 02:09 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #24 on: 09/30/2014 03:10 am »
I have build the main parts of Moonlab.   The S-IVb Wet Workshop, Apollo, Lem and Soyuz without an orbital module.  I still need to make a docking module for the Soyuz.  I have to hit the hobby store for some strip styrene for the solar panels Tuesday.  I also want to get some ivory paint, so I can make this spacecraft look like it has been in space for years at the time of the Apollo Soyuz flight.  The Ares stack is describe as that color once it reached Mars from being in flight for a year.  And then maybe some black window tint to make the black portions look faded.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #25 on: 09/30/2014 03:33 am »
Moving right along there.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #26 on: 09/30/2014 06:22 pm »
Something different before I get back to work on the model.  The sign from the entrance to KSC that I wish I remembered when I went there the first time in 1988:

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #27 on: 09/30/2014 09:17 pm »
I added the fittings for the solar panels to Moonlab.  I wanted to do something besides a copy of Skylab, so I made them rotate.  The panels will stick straight out from those.  The docking adapter has been painted black, and when that dries, I will add some gold foil panels to it.  The main workshop has been painted ivory, so it looks "spaceworn"!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #28 on: 09/30/2014 09:26 pm »
I also did some work on Saturn VB.  The SRBs have had their attach points modified and fixed so they can be removed.  I put the bottom of the skirts level with the engine fairings.  That puts the aft attach points in the middle of the fuel tank.  I will add a strip of plastic around the tank there so it looks like the tank is built to support the thrust.

It looks like I am further along than I am because I am reusing parts that have been painted and decals applied.  I will rotate the flags on the final paint scheme so they are visible between the SRBs.  I am thinking of continuing the black roll patterns onto the SRBs.

As you can tell by the gate sign I made up, I want to use the "worm" logo for the booster, but not sure where I am going to place that, maybe the Hab module.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
« Reply #29 on: 09/30/2014 10:13 pm »
Think about painting the SRBs in a Titan III Roll pattern.  ??

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #30 on: 10/01/2014 02:13 am »
Think about painting the SRBs in a Titan III Roll pattern.  ??

I like that!

I just finished listening to the audio version of this story.  Hearing Natalie York's voice while I build the model is fun!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #31 on: 10/02/2014 01:32 am »
I have made a little more progress on Moonlab tonight. I first attached the workshop solar arrays.  I gave them a different orientation than Skylab, something I saw on one of the wet workshop models.  I made the array for the LEM mount.  I don't know how I am going to finish this module.  Maybe silver ascent stage and gold landing stage.  I thought of putting the telescope from my broken Pilgrim on top of it....maybe.  I also finished the multiple docking module in black and gold foil.  Since it is a Lunar mission, I wanted it to have some elements of a LEM, gold and black.  The Soyuz has it's basic structure done.  I have to make it's docking collar still.  I made a little ASTP docking adapter for the front of the Moonlab for Soyuz to dock to. 

Since this is Moonlab near the end of it's mission, I thought about making tiny experiment packages, antennas and things strapped to the outside of the lab, items clearly not there the entire time. 

Saturn VB is in the painting closet, white paint is drying.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2014 01:32 am by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #32 on: 10/04/2014 01:06 am »
I received an Apollo Spacecraft from Realspace Models that I will use for my Moonlab.  I drilled out the docking hatch so I could put a plastic tube into it so I can dock it to the side hatch of the docking module.  I added the solar arrays to the LEM module and a bottom of a Soyuz to represent some instruments.  I built some docking petals on the nose of the Soyuz and applied the green paint to it.  I want to add the "high gain antenna" to the lab, but I haven't decided how I want to do it yet.  It is another spare part from my damaged Pilgrim 1. 

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #33 on: 10/04/2014 01:19 am »
My logo for Moonlab.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
« Reply #34 on: 10/05/2014 12:26 am »
OK Ron, you made me do it.  I am working on my Shuttle SRBs for a new Saturn Model using them.  I don't think it would have worked out so well moving it from the VAB to the Pad.  It would have been heavier then snot with 4 SRBs plus the Saturn.

I also haven't yet found my old Pilgrim Observer Nerva.  Grrr.  I found all the other pieces though.

Edit.  Found it.  In the box with the new one and its lighting kit.  ")
« Last Edit: 10/05/2014 12:58 am by mike robel »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #35 on: 10/05/2014 11:47 am »
Yes, I don't think the old MLP could hold all of that mass.  I also have been thinking of the flight rate, with 9 Saturn VBs needed to assemble and fuel Ares, and the 10th crew launch with the MEM.  Even with Pad 39C, that would be a chore to pull off. 

The shuttle SRBs may be impractical, but they sure do look impressive!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #36 on: 10/07/2014 04:13 pm »
While the painting dries on Moonlab and the Saturn VB, I went back to the Ares stack.  I have now built all of the connections to attach, remove, and reposition the various elements of the stack to represent the various flight modes of Voyage. 

First up is the Earth-Mars translation phase, easily the longest of the mission. The CSM (Discovery) on top, followed by the habitat S-IVB (Endeavour) stage, the MEM garage (housing Challenger), MS-IVB propulsion stage and the MS-II propulsion stage. 

Next, after ariving in Mars orbit, the Discovery undocks and watches as Endeavour undocks and flips. Then Discovery redocks to a side port on the Hab.

After the return to orbit of Challeneger, the Endeavour again flips and Discovery redocks to the axial port of the Hab.  The MS-II stage then fires to send the Ares on it's way home.

Finally, the MS-IVB stage is used to slow the Ares into Earth orbit, so the crew can return to Earth.

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
« Reply #37 on: 10/08/2014 01:37 am »
I don't understand the set up in the 2nd picture.  Is the CSM just resting on a support that goes into the body of the thing or do you have it standing off so far from the hab module/docking adapter for a reason?

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #38 on: 10/08/2014 01:56 am »
Yes, I just haven't cut it yet! LOL  It is just on approach now, that's it!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #39 on: 10/08/2014 02:21 am »
Here is a new picture to show it properly.  I wrapped both "M" stages in foil tape, and painted it white for the MS-II and left it silver for the MS-IVB.  I think I like the silver better.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography