Author Topic: Kuaizhou-2 (KZ-2) launch, Kuaizhou L/V, Jiuquan - November 21, 2014  (Read 23017 times)

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
A possible KZ failure in 2012?   I seem to have missed that.   Is there a link on here somewhere please?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
Thank you Anik!   Revived the thread started in 2012 because it's not clear whether there actually was a launch or not.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
I think that this launch marks the first time that the Chinese have had two launches from the same launch site (albeit, not the same pad) within 24 hours.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
It does imply a 24hs turnaround for the range, that's quite impressive, to say the least.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

I find the fact that they are being more open about the KZ-2 launch than the Yaogans on the LM rockets fascinating. Could this be some sort of an attempt by China at being more "transparent" regarding the KZ launch vehicle, which they know has generated a lot of concern in the US?

...or maybe it was more of a prototype project a la similar ideas funded by DARPA.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
Google translation of http://www.casic.com.cn/n103/n133/c2022698/content.html gives the following bit.

""fast boat" rocket is an important achievement "863 Program", a total of 132 patents, including 34
invention patents, with "more, faster, better and cheaper"".  (My underlining).

There is also mention of use of "grid rudder technology".  Looks like China's "Start 1" to me.

So, is it DF-21 or DF-31 based?  I'm leaning toward DF-21, based on the diameter which appears to be less than 5 feet (DF-31 is 6.56 feet diameter, DF-21 is 4.59 feet).

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 11/24/2014 03:04 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
DF-31 would be very unlikely; it's a product of CASIC's competitor CASC.

Online Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
It seems that this KZ launch inaugurated the western launch position. The eastern one was used in the 2012 attempt and the 2013 launch.

Here are two images from the 9ifly.cn forum and the Google Earth image attached. Photos were shot from the railway bridge in the left. One can easily see that the launch position is projected to the left position, not the right one.

« Last Edit: 12/16/2014 08:34 am by Liss »
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
It seems that this KZ launch inaugurated the western launch position. The eastern one was used in the 2012 attempt and the 2013 launch.

Here are two images from the 9ifly.cn forum and the Google Earth image attached. Photos were shot from the railway bridge in the left. One can easily see that the launch position is projected to the left position, not the right one.

Do you know the designation of the launch positions?

Online Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
Don't know.
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline weedenbc

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 0
Google translation of http://www.casic.com.cn/n103/n133/c2022698/content.html gives the following bit.

""fast boat" rocket is an important achievement "863 Program", a total of 132 patents, including 34
invention patents, with "more, faster, better and cheaper"".  (My underlining).

There is also mention of use of "grid rudder technology".  Looks like China's "Start 1" to me.

So, is it DF-21 or DF-31 based?  I'm leaning toward DF-21, based on the diameter which appears to be less than 5 feet (DF-31 is 6.56 feet diameter, DF-21 is 4.59 feet).

- Ed Kyle

Ed, in my analysis of the May 2013 ASAT test I reference a (now deleted) blog posting from kktt where he does a pretty convincing job of tracing the Kuaizhou launch vehicle back to the DF-21:

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2473/1

---
Brian Weeden

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
I found this illustration, which allegedly shows Kuaizhou-2.

The service module looks the same as the one shown on a Kuaizhou-1 illustration (see Kuazhou-1 thread), but the imaging payload looks different.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2015 08:22 am by Skyrocket »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography