Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5  (Read 338480 times)

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5
« Reply #560 on: 10/03/2017 09:29 pm »
Boca Chica can support suborbital test flights under the current EIS, BTW.

Yes, but the EIS specifically mentions Grasshopper in connection with suborbital test flights.

Remember, when the EIS was originally written back in 2013, SpaceX had not yet even attempted to recover a first stage, and no plans for BFR had been released.

So I believe it's extremely unlikely that the FAA would allow SpaceX to do BFR testing at Boca Chica without amending the EIS.

Offline Req

• Liked: 434
  • Likes Given: 2580
« Reply #561 on: 10/04/2017 09:27 pm »
Boca Chica can support suborbital test flights under the current EIS, BTW.

Yes, but the EIS specifically mentions Grasshopper in connection with suborbital test flights.

Remember, when the EIS was originally written back in 2013, SpaceX had not yet even attempted to recover a first stage, and no plans for BFR had been released.

So I believe it's extremely unlikely that the FAA would allow SpaceX to do BFR testing at Boca Chica without amending the EIS.

I don't think most people are envisioning the booster being involved in any initial suborbital BFS testing, probably for quite some time.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #562 on: 10/05/2017 10:31 pm »
Careers take the spotlight during annual Fall Career Expo in Brownsville
http://www.utrgv.edu/en-us/about-utrgv/news/press-releases/2017/october-04-careers-take-the-spotlight-during-annual-fall-career-expo-in-brownsville/index.htm

Luis Mireles (at right), a UTRGV sophomore majoring in Business Administration, talks with SpaceX representatives during UTRGV’s annual Fall Career Expo about opportunities in Elon Musk’s visionary company, which currently is building a rocket launch site at Boca Chica Beach.

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #563 on: 10/07/2017 09:59 pm »
Any idea how we could find out if BFR can launch from Boca Chica or not? I am looking for clues here that could disprove one of the two hypotehsis:

1. BFR will launch from the Boca Chica facilities SpaceX is currently building
2. BFR will launch from a sea platform near Boca Chica

What action we can see would indicate one or the other?

I want to add an other hypothesis:
3. F9 will launch from Boca Chica

Thinking about this. Sorry to quote my self but I want to find some indicators for the hypothesis. Whether Boca Chica is BFR only or mixed pad or F9 only, we probably will not know until the pad is almost finished. So thats not a good indicator. Unless all work on the pad stops, which would indicate that the launch site development is cancelled but does not indicate how BFR launches.

How would we know BFR will launch from a sea-platform?
* SpaceX buys oil rigs or even larger barges. Not sure we would see any of this even if it happens
* SpaceX hires people with oil rig experience
* SpaceX is taking up shop at the harbour with way more equipment than would be needed for F9 first stages processing

How would we know BFR launches from the launch pad?
* We see the horizontal integration facility with 9m tall and 14m wide doors.
* We see the a new environmentalism analysis for BFR sized rockets
* SpaceX asks the residents of Boca Chica kindly to agree they leave their houses during launch operations
* They try to buy all the houses for double or tripple the normal prices to compensate residents for moving away
* We see a CH4 pipeline from the new refinery to the launch complex
* We see CH4 equipment like additional CH4 liquidization, sub-cooling and storage tanks

How do we know if F9 will launch from Boca Chica?:
* There need to be RP1 equipment, not sure if that is easily identifiable though
* Helium tanks, pipes and cooling facilities. This one might be the most telling if the launch platform is dual use or BFR only if BFR launches from land. If there is helium equipment, there is F9.
* A TEL is constructed that matches the one on 39A

Are there any more ideas?

The BC TEL will be heavily similar to the majority of 39A TEL with changes.

If true, this confirms at least the existence of F9 in Boca Chica and disproves the hypothesis that the pad will be for BFR alone. Of course, plans can change but I didnt have the TEL on my list above.

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #564 on: 10/08/2017 02:02 am »
Unless there are two different pads on the same flame trench. The BFR being closer to the exit, and a movable barrier to block off the F9/FH pads throat during BFR launches.
DM

Offline Dave G

« Reply #565 on: 10/08/2017 02:30 pm »
For the property where the antenna dish sits, it looks like Cameron County re-platted 32 small lots into 1 large lot.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36931
« Reply #566 on: 10/12/2017 09:07 am »
Cross-posting with my emphasis (also suspect auto-correct issue - BFF clearly should be BFR):

Straight from Shotwell to me tonight. BFF is too expensive to road transport from Hawthorne to the port. New factory to be built in LA port for BFF. More production sites later near launch facilities. Texas is a definite BFF launch site.

In addition various reddit comments from Gwynne Shotwell's talk and Q&A last night say that the Boca Chica site is now specifically for BFR.

Edit: typo correction
« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 09:29 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #567 on: 10/12/2017 01:25 pm »
More then ever... I'm convinced Texas will be BFR only as built...  :o

Would I bet money... not yet... but I am getting much closer to that point...  ;)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ehhh, check again. There was a ton of very new information. Vague speculation on NSF does not equal straight-from-Shotwell info.

General sampling:
-larger Raptor currently under construction
-hope is for manufacturing facilities at all BFR launch pads
-confirmed that Boca is explicitly for BFR
-suggested that SpaceX could fund BFR and Starlink simultaneously, albeit with a bit longer timeline
-reiterated December for FH and possibly LC-40
-BFR P2P wouldn't be economical for short trips, but could be cheaper than economy flights for long trips
-fairings to be regularly reused by H2 2018
-S2 recovery will not actually attempt recovery, more just explore the orbital reentry regime
-confident that SpaceX can make carbon composite prop tanks operational, BFR could be ready before the stuff needed to live on Mars
-SpaceX will build the Martian infrastructure if they have to, would prefer other companies to start work on it
-not likely a coincidence that Musk started TBC, tunnels will be crucial until domes and terraforming on Mars

And much more.

:o  :o  :o... (Falls off couch)...  :P  ???  ;D
« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 01:25 pm by John Alan »

Offline John Alan

« Reply #568 on: 10/12/2017 02:44 pm »
If I understand correctly, the Boca Chica site will be BFR only? I guess that means they will be filing a new or amended EIS sometime?

Matthew
AFAIK, Falcon 9 will launch from Boca Chica NET later 2019

And in my opinion...
There will never be any RP-1 tank farms, or Falcon 9 GSE, HIF's, T/E's, or F9 hardware ever seen at Boca Chica for all eternity...
Yes... I am of the opinion a new EIS is in the works...
I also opine that the first BFR (the booster) static fire will be over that trench in Boca Chica on the actual Launch Mount...
Not 39a...Or anywhere else
My 2 cents on subtopic...  ;)

On edit... I am willing now to wager $$$ on this opinion with any one thinking otherwise... :)
Reference Texas launch pad thread... and suggest we take further talk of this over there...

Quoting subtopic and moving discussion on it here... JA

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #569 on: 10/12/2017 03:04 pm »
And in my opinion...
There will never be any RP-1 tank farms, or Falcon 9 GSE, HIF's, T/E's, or F9 hardware ever seen at Boca Chica for all eternity...
Yes... I am of the opinion a new EIS is in the works...
I also opine that the first BFR (the booster) static fire will be over that trench in Boca Chica on the actual Launch Mount...
Not 39a...Or anywhere else
My 2 cents on subtopic...  ;)

On edit... I am willing now to wager $$$ on this opinion with any one thinking otherwise... :)
Reference Texas launch pad thread... and suggest we take further talk of this over there...

Quoting subtopic and moving discussion on it here... JA
I don't think anyone would be wise to take you up on that bet. I just saw another interview with a senior director of SpaceX. Here is the relevant quote:
You have two pads in Florida, pus Vandenberg. Is it fair to say that given what you can do from your current locations, you don’t need one in Texas?

Yes, that’s correct. We have demonstrated we can launch at least twice from each of these pads. We’re talking about being able to do at least six launches a month if we wanted to. It is not our intention to do so.

What we have manifested in customer commitments are not bottlenecked by the lack of a fourth launch site. We can manage with the three. Between upgrading our production capability, having the pads — and most importantly, the visibility — between the balance of those three we don’t foresee not being able to meet customer commitments. I am happy to take on more launch commitments right now.

6*12 = 72 launches per year. It sounds like SpaceX would consider developing Boca Chica for anything other than BFR would be a waste of money, and that does not sound like something they would do.

Offline hkultala

• Liked: 748
  • Likes Given: 945
« Reply #570 on: 10/12/2017 03:48 pm »
6*12 = 72 launches per year. It sounds like SpaceX would consider developing Boca Chica for anything other than BFR would be a waste of money, and that does not sound like something they would do.

Cannot just calculate sum of all and use it for anything reasonable.

Vandenberg does not work for GTO or ISS launches and Florida does does not work for polar orbit launches.

If they need 28 launches/year to polar orbits, current pads are not enough.
If they need 28 (manned + heavy, iss + gto) launches/year, current pads are not enough (as SLC-40 is only F9 unmanned)

And if they start converting any of their pads from F9/FH to BFR, that pad is out of action during the conversion.

« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 03:48 pm by hkultala »

Offline John Alan

« Reply #571 on: 10/12/2017 04:10 pm »
To clarify my position on the timeline... BFR launchpads
Boca Chica will be the first... but not the last or only BFR able pad...
Next in my honest opinion... They will mod or greenfield one somewhere on the Vandenberg Range...
for Starlink launches... and other polar orbit payloads...

After that it gets much more Murky... Depends on other outside factors...
Greenfield site or sites (pl) yet TBD
Is STS mothballed at some point?... Lease and mod 39b is a possibility...
As speculated... make 39a dual use...

Just clarifying...  ;)
« Last Edit: 10/12/2017 04:14 pm by John Alan »

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #572 on: 10/12/2017 04:27 pm »

Cannot just calculate sum of all and use it for anything reasonable.

Vandenberg does not work for GTO or ISS launches and Florida does does not work for polar orbit launches.

If they need 28 launches/year to polar orbits, current pads are not enough.
If they need 28 (manned + heavy, iss + gto) launches/year, current pads are not enough (as SLC-40 is only F9 unmanned)

And if they start converting any of their pads from F9/FH to BFR, that pad is out of action during the conversion.
I am well aware of that, the number was just to express what 6 launches per month would mean. We are talking about something approaching the current global number of annual launches. Boca Chica can't help with the polar orbits. Manned launches and Falcon Heavy launches combined is quite unlikely to reach greater than 24 per year before BFR flies, at which point demand for them should rapidly drop. By the time they need a second BFR pad, there shouldn't be a problem shutting down 39A for a while.

Offline rsdavis9

I think the BFS will static fire and do suborbital flights from boca chica. BFR will do static fire and suborbital. But I think the first BFR/BFS flight will be from 39a. They need 39a to populate their com satellite orbits. boca chica has a very narrow launch azimuth. (unless they can get that changed?)
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #574 on: 10/12/2017 04:47 pm »
I think the BFS will static fire and do suborbital flights from boca chica. BFR will do static fire and suborbital. But I think the first BFR/BFS flight will be from 39a. They need 39a to populate their com satellite orbits. boca chica has a very narrow launch azimuth. (unless they can get that changed?)
Boca Chica is now "officially" for BFR:
Ehhh, check again. There was a ton of very new information. Vague speculation on NSF does not equal straight-from-Shotwell info.

General sampling:
-confirmed that Boca is explicitly for BFR
And much more.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #575 on: 10/12/2017 04:48 pm »
Thought experiment: If the BFR is as reliable as hoped, at what point would it be allowed to over fly land? On a nominal launch it will be 100% reusable so won't drop anything intentionally. I drive under low flying A380s and 747s regularly, as do millions, but if one of those fell out of the sky things would dramatic fast. If allowed to fly over land then the need for multiple launch sites, and multiple boosters recedes. 

Thoughts?

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #576 on: 10/12/2017 04:52 pm »
From https://mainenginecutoff.com/blog/2017/10/shotwell-at-stanford, this seems reasonable:

And thinking about it more, Boca Chica is the perfect place to work out landings back on the launch mount. Trying to pull that initial testing off at 39A would be a non-starter as far as NASA is concerned.

--- Tony

Offline rsdavis9

Thought experiment: If the BFR is as reliable as hoped, at what point would it be allowed to over fly land? On a nominal launch it will be 100% reusable so won't drop anything intentionally. I drive under low flying A380s and 747s regularly, as do millions, but if one of those fell out of the sky things would dramatic fast. If allowed to fly over land then the need for multiple launch sites, and multiple boosters recedes. 

Thoughts?

If they allow for overflight of cuba and the yucatan they can get a wide range of azimuths. It looks like 0 deg for straight east and maybe 60 degrees for southeast.
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #578 on: 10/12/2017 05:39 pm »

Thoughts?

There are numerous BFR threads.  They would be a more appropriate place for that thought.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #579 on: 10/12/2017 05:55 pm »

Thoughts?

If they allow for overflight of cuba and the yucatan they can get a wide range of azimuths. It looks like 0 deg for straight east and maybe 60 degrees for southeast.
Would they be over the Kármán line at this point? Otherwise they would enter Cuban or Mexican air space...
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography