Author Topic: Cygnus OA-9 - Antares - May 21, 2018  (Read 55770 times)

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Cygnus OA-9 - Antares - May 20, 2018
« Reply #20 on: 05/02/2018 05:21 pm »
https://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/feature-stories/OA9-Mission-Page/Documents/OA-9_FactSheet.pdf

Once Cygnus is unberthed, a NanoRacks deployer will release seven Cubesats.
Mission Duration: 2-4 days ascent and phasing
Up to 90 days berthed 
Up to 2 weeks post-ISS departure mission/experiment operations, descent and reentry

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #21 on: 05/07/2018 03:30 pm »
    May 07, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-074
NASA Highlights Science on Next Orbital ATK Mission to Space Station

NASA will host a media teleconference at 1 p.m. EDT Thursday, May 10, to discuss select science investigations and technology demonstrations launching on the next Orbital ATK commercial resupply flight to the International Space Station.

Orbital ATK is targeting Sunday, May 20, for the launch of its Cygnus spacecraft on an Antares rocket from pad 0A at Wallops Flight Facility in Wallops Island, Virginia.

The Cygnus spacecraft will carry crew supplies, scientific research and hardware to the orbiting laboratory to support the Expedition 55 and 56 crews for the ninth contracted mission by Orbital ATK under NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services contract.

To participate in the teleconference, media must contact Kathryn Hambleton at 202-358-1100 or [email protected] by 10 a.m. Thursday, for dial-in information.

Participants in Thursday’s briefing will be:

Sarah Wallace, microbiologist at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston and principal investigator for Biomolecule Extraction and Sequencing Technology (BEST), an investigation to identify unknown microbial organisms on the space station and understand how humans, plants and microbes adapt to living on the station
Robert Shotwell, chief engineer for Astronomy and Physics Directorate, at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, and manager for the Cold Atom Laboratory, a physics research facility used by scientists to explore how atoms interact when they have almost no motion due to extreme cold temperatures
Andrea Adamo, founder and CEO for Zaiput Flow Technologies, who will discuss plans to validate a unique liquid separation system that relies on surface forces, rather than gravity, to extract one liquid from another
Brandon Briggs, assistant professor at the University of Alaska Anchorage, who will discuss a payload that will evaluate the biological production of the biofuel isobutene using engineered E.coli under microgravity conditions
A representative from Space Applications Services for the Ice Cubes Facility, the first commercial European opportunity to conduct research in space, made possible through an agreement with ESA (European Space Agency)
Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live online at:

http://www.nasa.gov/live

For launch countdown coverage, NASA's launch blog, and more information about the mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/orbitalatk
Jacques :-)

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 2164
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #22 on: 05/08/2018 06:25 pm »
https://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/feature-stories/OA9-Mission-Page/

May 8, 2018

For each CRS mission, it is a tradition at Orbital ATK to name the Cygnus cargo spacecraft for an individual who has furthered our nation’s human spaceflight programs. For our OA-9 mission, we are proud to announce that the OA-9 spacecraft will be named after J.R. Thompson, a distinguished leader in the aerospace industry and a member of our Orbital ATK family. Throughout his life, J.R. held prominent positions at NASA, the Marshall Space Flight Center, and Orbital Sciences. We are honored to celebrate his life with the upcoming launch of the S.S. J.R. Thompson.

---
SMS ;-).

Offline SMS

• Regular
---
SMS ;-).

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #24 on: 05/08/2018 09:55 pm »
Heard during the evening DPC. One of items on board is different printer paper.  The paper on board is apparently hole-punched which is making the printer on board jam repeatedly.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #25 on: 05/09/2018 05:08 am »
https://www.orbitalatk.com/news-room/feature-stories/OA9-Mission-Page/Documents/OA-9_FactSheet.pdf

Once Cygnus is unberthed, a NanoRacks deployer will release seven Cubesats.
Mission Duration: 2-4 days ascent and phasing
Up to 90 days berthed 
Up to 2 weeks post-ISS departure mission/experiment operations, descent and reentry

We currently know of 13 cubesats on the mission. As far as I can tell the 9 ELaNa-23 satellites will use Kibo/NRCSD
(RainCube, SORTIE, TEMPEST-D, CubeRRT, CaNOP, RadSat-g, Equisat, MemSat, HaloSat)
which leaves Radix, Endurosat One, Aerocube 12A and 12B and 3 unknown cubesats for the external deployer.
Anyone got better info?
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81635
  • Likes Given: 36932
« Reply #26 on: 05/10/2018 05:31 pm »
#tbt to the mating of the #OA9 S.S. J.R. Thompson #Cygnus service module with the pressurized cargo module. Our OA-9 mission is set to launch aboard our #Antares rocket from @NASA_Wallops on May 20 at 5:04 a.m. EDT/9:04 a.m. UTC.

https://twitter.com/orbitalatk/status/994611064028499968

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #27 on: 05/12/2018 04:15 pm »
The @NASASocial attendees for this launch have been selected.  You can find the list of those who have Twitter accounts here:

https://twitter.com/NASASocial/lists/orbital-atk-9-nasa-social/members

Here's the original notice by NASA.

https://www.nasa.gov/social/witness-the-next-space-station-cargo-spacecraft-launch-from-virginia

April 24, 2018
Witness the Next Space Station Cargo Spacecraft Launch from Virginia
We are inviting social media users to apply for credentials to cover the launch for Orbital ATK's CRS-9 mission to the International Space Station. The Cygnus cargo spacecraft is scheduled to launch atop an Antares rocket at 5:04 a.m. EDT on May 20, from Pad 0A at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport at our Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

A maximum of 50 active social media users will be selected to attend the two-day event May 19-20, 2018 and will be given the same access as news media in an effort to align the experience of social media representatives with those of traditional media. Participants should be aware that due to the complexity of these launches, it is possible that Antares could launch at a later date within the May 20-25 window.

NASA Social participants will have the opportunity to:

View the launch of the Orbital ATK’s Antares rocket
Meet and interact with representatives from NASA and Orbital ATK
Tour Wallops Flight Facility
Meet fellow space enthusiasts who are active on social media
Meet members of NASA's social media teams

Registration opens on Wednesday, April 25. U.S. citizens active on social media must apply by 11:59 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 30, 2018. All social media accreditation applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

APPLY NOW

Do I need to have a social media account to register?
Yes. This event is designed for people who:

Actively use multiple social networking platforms and tools to disseminate information to a unique audience.
Regularly produce new content that features multimedia elements.
Have the potential to reach a large number of people using digital platforms.
Reach a unique audience, separate and distinctive from traditional news media and/or NASA audiences.
Must have an established history of posting content on social media platforms.
Have previous postings that are highly visible, respected and widely recognized.
Users on all social networks are encouraged to use the hashtag #NASASocial during their visit to Wallops Flight Facility.

Updates and information about the event will be shared on Twitter via @NASASocial and @NASA_Wallops, as well as posts to Facebook.

How do I register?
Registration opens on Wednesday, April 25. U.S. citizens active on social media must apply by the deadline, 11:59 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 30, 2018. All social media accreditation applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Can I register if I am not a U.S. citizen?
Because of the security deadlines, registration is limited to U.S. citizens. If you have a valid permanent resident card, you will be processed as a U.S. citizen. Those who are selected will need to complete an additional registration step to receive clearance to enter the secure areas. To be admitted, you will need to show two government-issued identifications (one with a photo) that match the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. All registrants must be at least 18 years old.

When will I know if I am selected?
After registrations have been received and processed, a notification email will be send out to inform you whether or not you have been selected for NASA social media accreditation. Those selected will be required to complete an additional step before being accredited. We expect to send notifications no later than May 11. If you do not make the registration list for accreditation, you can still attend the public viewing of the launch and participate in the conversation online.

What are the registration requirements?
Registration indicates your intent to travel to NASA's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia and attend the two-day event in person. You are responsible for your own expenses for travel, accommodation, food and other amenities.

Some events and participants scheduled to appear at the event are subject to change without notice. NASA and Orbital ATK are not responsible for loss or damage incurred as a result of attending. NASA and Orbital ATK, moreover, are not responsible for loss or damage incurred if the event is canceled with limited or no notice. Please plan accordingly.

Wallops is a government facility. Those who are selected will need to complete an additional registration step to receive clearance to enter the secure areas.

IMPORTANT: To be admitted, you will need to provide one form of unexpired government-issued identification; this identification must match the name provided on the registration. Those without proper identification cannot be admitted. For a complete list of acceptable forms of ID, please visit: http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/i-9_poster_acceptable_documents_2014_04_23.pdf

All registrants must be at least 18 years old.

What if the launch date changes?
Hundreds of different factors can cause a scheduled launch date to change multiple times. The targeted launch date will not be confirmed until after the Flight Readiness Review. If the launch date changes, NASA and Orbital ATK may adjust programming accordingly to coincide with the new target launch date. NASA will notify registrants of any changes by email.

Attendees are responsible for any additional costs they incur related to any launch delay. We strongly encourage participants to make travel arrangements that are refundable and/or flexible.

What if I cannot come to the event?
If you cannot come to event and attend in person, you should not register for the NASA Social. You can follow the conversation using the #NASASocial hashtag on Twitter. You can watch the event on NASA Television at www.nasa.gov/live

NASA will provide regular updates on @NASA and @NASASocial.

If you cannot make this NASA Social, don't worry; NASA is planning many other Socials in the near future at various locations! Check back on www.nasa.gov/social for updates.

Does registration for and/or attendance at this NASA Social qualify me for news media accreditation?
No, your registration and/or attendance does not qualify you for news media credentials at NASA now or in the future.

Offline spacepat_o

• Maryland, USA
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #28 on: 05/14/2018 01:28 am »
Does anyone have a list of backup launch times?

Offline spacepat_o

• Maryland, USA
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #29 on: 05/14/2018 03:14 pm »
Does anyone have a list of backup launch times?

May 21                 4:39 a.m.
May 22                 4:16
May 23                 3:53
May 24                 3:28
« Last Edit: 05/14/2018 03:15 pm by spacepat_o »

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #30 on: 05/14/2018 03:26 pm »
Hey everyone.  I'm interviewing Orbital ATK's Antares and Cygnus managers tomorrow, Tues. 15 May, at 12:00 EDT.

If anyone has any questions on the following, please PM me:
1) Cygnus for OA-9E (mission that launches on 20 May)
2) CRS2 contract Cygnus/Antares
3) Anything at all to do with Antares

Offline ethan829

« Reply #31 on: 05/15/2018 11:13 am »
Mission patch from the OA-9 fact sheet:

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #32 on: 05/15/2018 02:24 pm »
Hey everyone.  I'm interviewing Orbital ATK's Antares and Cygnus managers tomorrow, Tues. 15 May, at 12:00 EDT.

If anyone has any questions on the following, please PM me:
1) Cygnus for OA-9E (mission that launches on 20 May)
2) CRS2 contract Cygnus/Antares
3) Anything at all to do with Antares

Bumping this.  Any last question requests before 1200 EDT today?  If so, PM me.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
« Reply #33 on: 05/16/2018 03:02 pm »
Precise target launch time Sunday morning is Sunday, 20 May 2018 at 05:04:43 EDT (09:04:43 UTC) at this time.  The to-the-second time might move by a few seconds still as final orbital calculations of the ISS are determined.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #34 on: 05/16/2018 04:08 pm »
Any thoughts on weather? There's a pretty massive east coast system that seems intent on sticking around for a few days.

By the way, I'll be at the launch with the NASA folks. I'm wondering if Mr. Bridenstine will attend since it is close to DC.

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
« Reply #35 on: 05/16/2018 04:14 pm »
I'm on Long Island New York.  Will it be worth getting up at 5AM on Sunday if the skies are clear?

Around that time now the first hints of daylight are emerging.  I'm wondering if the plume will capture the light and it will be impressive.  For the VA launches, from here we can see the late First Stage flight, separation and Second stage light off events.

"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #36 on: 05/16/2018 04:43 pm »
It's too bad they don't launch to the north. You could watch her fly right by you!

For me, if I had a chance to watch it, even from far away, I'd still get up to see it. The big question is the weather right now. Low clouds could block your view completely.

Offline SMS

• Regular
« Reply #37 on: 05/16/2018 05:03 pm »
Inside look at yesterday's late cargo load of the S.S. J.R. Thompson #Cygnus. Today, crews will complete final cargo load and encapsulation of the #Antares fairing in preparation for roll out to @VCSFA_MARS Pad 0A at @NASA_Wallops late tomorrow. #OA9

https://twitter.com/OrbitalATK/status/996792962372816900

---
SMS ;-).

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #38 on: 05/16/2018 06:10 pm »
Any thoughts on weather? There's a pretty massive east coast system that seems intent on sticking around for a few days.

By the way, I'll be at the launch with the NASA folks. I'm wondering if Mr. Bridenstine will attend since it is close to DC.

Any Orbital friends willing to share their launch commit criteria, especially with respect to weather? :-)

Re our new Administrator, wonder when the last time was the senior person showed up at Wallops.  Hmm.

Offline SkipMorrow

« Reply #39 on: 05/16/2018 06:15 pm »
I have a picture of me with Mr. Bolden from ORB-2. He should definitely go!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography