Author Topic: 60 Day Exploration Systems Architecture Study latest  (Read 30582 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Information starting to leak out (leak not being the operative word). Here's a thread that we can update and link up news articles related to the Study.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

NASA to hold press conference on Monday or Tuesday to reveal details of a $100 billion plan to go back to the Moon.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
RE: 60 Day Exploration Systems Architecture Study latest
« Reply #2 on: 09/15/2005 06:30 pm »
Basically what will come out is more or less what you've see on the AIAA Document on the SDLV/CEV on the SDLV forum pages here. The costings are interesting and the timeline roadmap will be interesting.

Online Chris Bergin

Might be worth linking that section up here then.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=21

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: 09/15/2005 06:44 pm »
Personally, I think this is going to be a tough one to pull off. With the whole New Orleans thing, I really see people criticizing the VSE... "The governemtn can't plan how to respond to hurricane, but they can plan a Moon mission."
With the rising gas prices, and the $200 billion dollars it'll take to rebuild New Orleans, I don't think the public is ready to accept a return to the Moon.
I know I want to see us go back, and I'm sure there are many more people out there who would like to see the VSE succeed.  I remember when the VSE was first announced it became the laughing stock of late night TV. Maybe the 60 Day report will make people take it more seriously, but I really just can't see that happening.

Offline starhunter

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 09/15/2005 07:51 pm »

I agree this is probably bad timing for such announcing such a plan. NASA has two sites in the devastated area now (Michoud in New Orleans and Stennis in MS) and they will require over $1 billion to restore. Maybe if the plan can integrate the area workforces more, it will be a stronger sell......??

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: 09/15/2005 08:10 pm »
I honastly think it would be wiser to wait another month, maybe by then there will be a more concrete plan on how to begin helping New Orleans. Also, one month form now we'll have China up there. Comm on is it too much to ask for CNN and Fox News to start raising questions about what they are doing up there? The "secret payloads". People will eat that crap up, and want to go there before China does.

The common person doesn't know how advanced China's program is becoming. We're all space fans here and even we don't hear or know much about the Chinese program. I think if the news channels would pay attention to the Chinese mission, and start talking about China's goals (the Moon) then maybe people will become afraid. The whole idea that the public will support a Moon mission becausede and a sense of wonder, is a bunch of crap. You will not get widespread public support unless they feel threatened. Apollo happened because of the Soviet Union Our relations with China are not even close to as hot as they were with the Soviet Union, however, as spaceflight goes, they are our best competition right now. Russia is willing to climb on board anyones program, as long as they are getting what they want. The ESA has there thing going with Russia. Japan has relations with NASA and the ISS program. China is really the only space program that isn't trying to open relations with us.

And on that note, maybe China is smarter than NASA and Russia and the ESA. Look how screwed up the ISS situation has become. Russia builds hardware, now it looks like we won't even launch some of it. For awhile we were using the Soyuz for free. China is probably much better off alone, as international politics will not become involved.

Offline Shuttle Man

• Veteran
  • KSC
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #7 on: 09/15/2005 08:22 pm »
I have just seen some of the documents, shall I post them here?
Ex-Apollo, waiting for NASA to finish what we started.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #8 on: 09/15/2005 08:23 pm »
Shuttle Man - 15/9/2005  4:22 PM

I have just seen some of the documents, shall I post them here?

Please...

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #9 on: 09/15/2005 08:28 pm »
YES! please

Online Chris Bergin

I've mailed him as we can't put anything on here that is deemed part of information export law....we'll sort this out.

Offline Shuttle Man

• Veteran
  • KSC
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: 09/15/2005 09:10 pm »
I've mailed you it and you can see what can go on etc?
Ex-Apollo, waiting for NASA to finish what we started.

Online Chris Bergin

Ok. Some summary points:

CEV now 2011...not 2014. One year downtime between STS and CEV. (Guess the Russians were right about the reduction of the timeline between STS and CEV...ages ago).

NASA to spend $7 billion a year from 2011...rising year on year to $15 billion by 2018.

Why a load of cash going to the Russians?

Offline NASA_Twix_JSC

• Supporting FDOs since 1999
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #13 on: 09/15/2005 09:28 pm »
could be for the engines?

Offline Flightstar

• KSC, Florida
« Reply #14 on: 09/15/2005 09:29 pm »
Four year gap between the retirement of the STS and the CEV and SDLV never was viable.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #15 on: 09/15/2005 09:34 pm »
Anything about a cargo SRB SDV?

Online Chris Bergin

SDLV will cost between around $8 billion to design and build.

125 mt lifter. That's 15mt more than the Magnum and Longfellows???

Online Chris Bergin

Two CEVs: (Note, one is an actual CEV).

1) Six seater for manned missions.
2) Cargo (SRB stick).

I don't know if this is right, but sounds like the CEV Single Stick vehicle is the cargo...and the Lockheed Martin design for the Crew:

Online Chris Bergin

Although this:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=4

Ain't a six seater...maybe this is a different design altogether...but there's two types..one for payload and one (which IS the CEV) for crew.

Offline Flightstar

• KSC, Florida
« Reply #19 on: 09/15/2005 09:46 pm »
Simple rule to note here. We're not going to mix crew and cargo again.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography