Author Topic: 60 Day Exploration Systems Architecture Study latest  (Read 30584 times)

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
RE: 60 Day Exploration Systems Architecture Study latest
« Reply #40 on: 09/16/2005 02:48 pm »
The inline SDLV will probably be the only launcher with the size and power capable to launch them. For the truss structures and larger modules a support structure would need to be pretty big and massive to limit the loads and vibrations (plus include a number of batteries or a fuel cell for power), not to mention the 5 meter or more required diameter. You're talking as much as 4 to 5 tons or more of extra 'dead' mass as well as the mass of the ISS component.

Online Chris Bergin

I'm thinking about the sidemounted SDLV which is basically an Orbiter Payload on the side of an ET.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Sergi Manstov

• NSF Russian Editor
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: 09/16/2005 10:56 pm »
The money for Russia has a lot to do with the real possiblilty that the Shuttle will not make the grade on the next flight. One more problem that grounds will see the US need Russian help on requirements.

Offline SRBseparama

« Reply #43 on: 09/17/2005 01:37 pm »
So the Russians are our back up plan?

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #44 on: 09/18/2005 01:41 am »
MKremer - 16/9/2005  10:48 AM

The inline SDLV will probably be the only launcher with the size and power capable to launch them. For the truss structures and larger modules a support structure would need to be pretty big and massive to limit the loads and vibrations (plus include a number of batteries or a fuel cell for power), not to mention the 5 meter or more required diameter. You're talking as much as 4 to 5 tons or more of extra 'dead' mass as well as the mass of the ISS component.

I was thinking along those lines as well, are we saying here, that there is no way to build the support structure, with all the power, and I guess some form of orbital tug to make sure that launched ISS segments don't go wondering off. Making use of Russian launch vehicles?

Offline Space101

• Leeds, England
« Reply #45 on: 09/18/2005 03:29 am »
Doesn't the US have a law where they can't use Russian stuff?
Let's go and explore space.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #46 on: 09/18/2005 01:49 pm »
I just hope it looks more interesting than an SRB with a bucket on top.
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Online Chris Bergin

I just want to give a media angle on this (and we've all seen what power the media has over the general public when it comes to the STS!). I personally love what I saw on the AIAA plans.

Already there's headlines like "US to go back to the moon using 1960s parts". "NASA rummages around the old shed for Moon parts". There's some surprisingly negative media on this.

Graphics like the one posted from the Orlando Sentinal do not inspire the public and they are voters and they could become 'bored' with this. You don't want uninterested voters when it comes to the White House.

I keep seeing it time and time again that people get interested in NASA because of the Shuttle. It's a great looking space plane, that produces amazing images during a mission from launch to landing...that works with the public as they aren't going to read in-depth about it's shortcomings (see recent poll results, USA Today).

I've even seen it by way of what picture you put with a story. You put an image of a Delta on, it gets half as much interest by way of readership than one with a Shuttle or an Orbiter on it - regardless of the story, and we're talking a space flight related site!

While I know people on here are obviously correct in the "so long as it works....we get out of LEO etc,etc." but it HAS to be presented as "exciting and cool" because the media does not find it viable to serve the 'space geek' element and I personally believe that the general public need to be interested or politicians will start to wonder in terms of voters interest.

I know they are working on Monday's presentation big time, so hopes are high that we'll get the images that will work for the media, like on the AIAA PDFs.

Once again, I agree with the people on here that the plan should be great, because it's a plan. It just needs to be sold as "Manned missions to the Moon and Mars" rather than "NASA to place an Apollo on top of a SRB stick as its 2010's manned space flight program."
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Colby

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: 09/18/2005 02:19 pm »

I wonder if a grass-roots effort will do any good?  I know that from where I come from there are many people who could care less about the space program, and my own grandfather *cough cough* is against it.  There is very little media attention in local newspapers, and when it comes right down to it, those issues that are talked about in those local papers are the issues that the general public are concerned with!

So, I was going to create an article that was going to paint a great picture of the future of NASA space exploration, and send it to the two local newspapers in my county. We'll see what good it will do. I'm hoping it gets some response...

Colby

Online Chris Bergin

If you want me to give it a readover, I'd be happy to help.

Offline Colby

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 09/18/2005 02:25 pm »
Well, its not done yet, but when it is, I'll definately let you take a look at it first. :)
Colby

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #51 on: 09/18/2005 05:27 pm »
Chris Bergin - 18/9/2005  9:55 AM
Graphics like the one posted from the Orlando Sentinal do not inspire the public and they are voters and they could become 'bored' with this. You don't want uninterested voters when it comes to the White House.
I think the White House is the least of NASA's worries.  It's the "let's fix everything here on earth first" crowd we have to worry about.  Ironically my own party, the Democrats, are the ones most infected with that stupid idea.

I've even seen it by way of what picture you put with a story. You put an image of a Delta on, it gets half as much interest by way of readership than one with a Shuttle or an Orbiter on it - regardless of the story, and we're talking a space flight related site!
Could also be because there are no humans on board.  Point taken, though.  Wings are cool.  Capsules are boring.

While I know people on here are obviously correct in the "so long as it works....we get out of LEO etc,etc." but it HAS to be presented as "exciting and cool" because the media does not find it viable to serve the 'space geek' element and I personally believe that the general public need to be interested or politicians will start to wonder in terms of voters interest.
Absolutely.  NASA needs a PR department that could sell shoes to a snake -- a snake with A.D.D.  

It might help if they could draw the little guys into the fold more, t/Space, etc.  It would make NASA seem like less of an exclusive entitlement program for Lockmart and Boeing.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #52 on: 09/18/2005 06:46 pm »
realtime - 18/9/2005  1:27 PM

Absolutely.  NASA needs a PR department that could sell shoes to a snake -- a snake with A.D.D.  

I'm amazed NASA doesn't make more use of NASA-TV.   They have their own TV station for pete's sake, and they still seem boring and institutional.   Sheesh.

I have a solution:

Approach Tom Hanks, Ron Howard, James Cameron and John Travolta.   They are some of the bigger names in Hollywood who are also space buffs.   Offer them this deal:

NASA will go back to the moon in 13 years time.   Once we've done a couple of test flights and made sure its safe - we will fly each of you on a different mission to the moon, to document and tell the story in-person.

In return, you will take the reigns of NASA-TV, take the current (small) budget and make us look good from now until then.   And you guys will fund the programming from your own pockets.   That's the "fee" for the flights.

Sounds like a damned good deal to me.   NASA gets some real talent on ithe PR job for no additional cost, the famous fans get a trip to the moon, and the rest of us get to have some really awesome films and programs about it all.   Win-win situation for all IMHO.

Just my 2c.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Colby

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 09/18/2005 07:45 pm »
THAT IS A GOOD IDEA!!! I agree, NASA TV is so boring when they aren't launching something, and they have so much they could show! Ho hum...
Colby

Online Chris Bergin

11am EST (4pm UK time) is when the conference/presentation starts...on NASA TV. We'll do a thread with images and updates for those unable to get the feed (or are at work etc.)

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #55 on: 09/19/2005 02:13 am »
I'll deffinatly have to make my way down to the library at some point tomorrow during school. Otherwise from 11 AM on I'll be thinking about what I'm missing out on with the ESAS, rather than paying attention in class.

Online Chris Bergin

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography