Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Discussion Thread  (Read 262015 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 4968
  • Likes Given: 44921
Re: SpaceX Manifest Discussion Thread
« Reply #600 on: 02/28/2022 09:48 pm »
Could this be Transporter 4?
Given the fact that Ben Cooper lists Transporter 4 as being early April and doesn't mention LZ landing, I'd say it's most likely the case that one is T-4.
April; no mention of early April on his website, most recent update dated Feb 24.
A Falcon 9 from pad 40 will launch the Transporter-4 smallsat rideshare mission on April.

Nextspaceflight lists as "NET April."
« Last Edit: 02/28/2022 09:50 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.)
My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!"

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1456
  • Likes Given: 1122
« Reply #601 on: 03/01/2022 08:50 am »
https://techcrunch.com/2022/02/28/nasa-extends-spacexs-commercial-crew-contract-by-three-missions-for-900-million

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-awards-spacex-additional-crew-flights-to-space-station
NASA has awarded three additional missions to Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) of Hawthorne, California, for crew transportation services to the International Space Station as part of its Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) contract. The CCtCap modification, following the agency’s notice of intent to procure the flights in December 2021, brings the total missions for SpaceX to nine and allows NASA to maintain an uninterrupted U.S. capability for human access to the space station.

This is a firm fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract modification for the Crew-7, Crew-8, and Crew-9 missions, bringing the total contract value to $3,490,872,904. The period of performance runs through March 31, 2028. The current sole source modification does not preclude NASA from seeking additional contract modifications in the future for additional transportation services as needed.

In 2014, NASA awarded the CCtCap contracts to Boeing and SpaceX through a public-private partnership as part of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program. Under CCtCap, NASA certifies that a provider’s space transportation system meets the agency’s requirements prior to flying missions with astronauts.

SpaceX was certified by NASA for crew transportation in November 2020, and currently its third crew rotation mission for the agency is in orbit. As part of the missions, SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft and Falcon 9 rocket transport up to four astronauts along with critical cargo to the space station.

For information about NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/crew.

Guessing based on recent contract totals, looks like maybe around $755 million for the three flights?

The original contract was 2.6B so that would suggest 900M difference. Or were there some adjustments made to the contract before this? I seem to recall something about additional parachute testing that NASA ended up paying for, but I'm not sure where to look for this information.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11545
  • Likes Given: 5161
« Reply #602 on: 03/01/2022 01:28 pm »
Guessing based on recent contract totals, looks like maybe around $755 million for the three flights?

The original contract was 2.6B so that would suggest 900M difference. Or were there some adjustments made to the contract before this? I seem to recall something about additional parachute testing that NASA ended up paying for, but I'm not sure where to look for this information.

Last total I see for the contract in FPDS (early February) is $2.735B.  Unless NASA actually says the amount of this extension it's hard to figure out the real number.

Offline soltasto

• Italy, Earth
  • Liked: 938
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #603 on: 03/01/2022 09:59 pm »

The number I came up with is $755,125,510.00

Offline vaporcobra

• Tacoma, WA
  • Liked: 7559
  • Likes Given: 8701
« Reply #604 on: 03/01/2022 10:07 pm »

Just for reference, that equates to about $63M per seat instead of the ~$55M NASA is paying for the first six.

« Reply #605 on: 03/04/2022 02:08 pm »
0168-EX-ST-2022
This application uses information from previous grant 1994-EX-ST-2021. This STA is necessary to authorize launch vehicle communications for Mission 1724 Starlink Group 4-12 from Cape Canaveral FL at LC-40 CCAFS or LC-39a at KSC, and the experimental recovery operation following the Falcon 9 launch. Includes sub-orbital first stage, and orbital second stage.

ASDS North  32  37  20   West  75  49  44

0447-EX-ST-2022

This application uses information from previous grant 0155-EX-ST-2022. This STA is necessary to authorize launch vehicle communications for Mission 1739 Starlink Group 4-14 from Cape Canaveral FL at LC-40 CCAFS or LC-39a at KSC, and the experimental recovery operation following the Falcon 9 launch. Includes sub-orbital first stage, and orbital second stage.

ASDS    North  32  37  20   West  75  49  44

Starlink 4-12 & 4-14 FCC applications indicate a return to northeast trajectories
« Last Edit: 03/04/2022 05:20 pm by realnouns »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: 03/04/2022 03:10 pm »
Starlink 4-13 not yet announced.  Perhaps it will be the next Vandenberg Starlink, which is not expected until NET May?
0447-EX-ST-2022

This application uses information from previous grant 0155-EX-ST-2022. This STA is necessary to authorize launch vehicle communications for Mission 1739 Starlink Group 4-14 from Cape Canaveral FL at LC-40 CCAFS or LC-39a at KSC, and the experimental recovery operation following the Falcon 9 launch. Includes sub-orbital first stage, and orbital second stage. Trajectory data will be provided directly to NTIA, USAF, and NASA. All downrange Earth stations are receive-only. The recovery portion is limited to two functions: 1) pre-launch checkout test of the command uplink from an onshore station at launch site, and 2) command of landed stage from recovery boat. Launch licensing authority is FAA Office of Commercial Space Transportation.

ASDS    North  32  37  20   West  75  49  44

Offline Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1446
  • Likes Given: 1347
« Reply #607 on: 03/08/2022 04:02 am »
0450-EX-ST-2022, Mission 1581   NET Apr. 22
From Florida
ASDS  North  27  46  48  West  73  38  10

Looks like a GTO mission - Nilesat-301 perhaps?
Astronomer & launch photographer

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #608 on: 03/08/2022 04:49 am »
0450-EX-ST-2022, Mission 1581   NET Apr. 22
From Florida
ASDS  North  27  46  48  West  73  38  10
Looks like a GTO mission - Nilesat-301 perhaps?
Or SES-22.

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 4054
  • Likes Given: 845
« Reply #609 on: 03/08/2022 07:43 am »
With landing at that place it could be any GTO sat or even the O3b mPOWER mission 1 which is supposedly not expendable and needs low inclination so a launch straight out to the east would also be needed.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: 03/08/2022 08:30 pm »
With landing at that place it could be any GTO sat or even the O3b mPOWER mission 1 which is supposedly not expendable and needs low inclination so a launch straight out to the east would also be needed.
Nilesat-301, SES-22, and the first mPower launch are the only Falcon 9 launches that fit the bill for April/second annual quarter, according to our current NSF launch schedule.

The first two will be overseas deliveries from Thales Alenia, and the third will be delivered from Boeing.

If there are no corporate announcements, then watching for heavy cargo aircraft landing at one of the Space Coast airports would be an option.
« Last Edit: 03/08/2022 08:49 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online jpo234

• Liked: 2110
  • Likes Given: 1792
« Reply #611 on: 03/08/2022 09:04 pm »

Just for reference, that equates to about $63M per seat instead of the ~$55M NASA is paying for the first six.
That's pretty close to the inflation adjustment from 2014.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Online Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 4054
  • Likes Given: 845
« Reply #612 on: 03/08/2022 09:54 pm »

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 1957
  • Likes Given: 1831
« Reply #613 on: 03/09/2022 04:59 pm »
Can SpaceX launch other payloads besides Starlink?

There’s too many Starlink missions for me to count, unless there’s a demand to get all those sats up in record time.

How many Starlink missions do they have planned anyway?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2558
  • Likes Given: 3259
« Reply #614 on: 03/09/2022 05:21 pm »
Can SpaceX launch other payloads besides Starlink?

There’s too many Starlink missions for me to count, unless there’s a demand to get all those sats up in record time.

How many Starlink missions do they have planned anyway?

If Starship was delayed or to never come on line the F9 would be flying endless missions to build, renew and replenish Starlink.

They can fly 50 times a year for many years to come in that case. 

One fact that many people miss is that yes Starlink was created as a service to make money to fund Mars ambitions.  However, an unmentioned purpose is to keep the F9 busy.  It has long been studied that reuseable rockets only make sense at a higher flight rate.  Elon knew that and that's why they launched Starlink after they had booster reuse established.  Both reasons compliment and require each other.
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 20411
  • Likes Given: 10594
« Reply #615 on: 03/09/2022 05:41 pm »
It’s not quite necessary for F9 to launch 50 times per year, though. Probably viable at just 10-15 per year.

If Starship is delayed, I could see SpaceX attempting fully reuse again. Falcon 9 is such a dang workhorse. Multiple stages have more than 10 flights already, no reason they couldn’t do 20-30 launches per core. They’ve done 10 launches in 10 weeks and there might be sufficient demand for over 100 launches per year.

But I think they’ll get Starship going soon.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2558
  • Likes Given: 3259
« Reply #616 on: 03/09/2022 08:39 pm »
It’s not quite necessary for F9 to launch 50 times per year, though. Probably viable at just 10-15 per year.

If Starship is delayed, I could see SpaceX attempting fully reuse again. Falcon 9 is such a dang workhorse. Multiple stages have more than 10 flights already, no reason they couldn’t do 20-30 launches per core. They’ve done 10 launches in 10 weeks and there might be sufficient demand for over 100 launches per year.

But I think they’ll get Starship going soon.

They could do 10-15 flights a year and would only need 3 cores to do.  Wouldn't that be something to see?

I've wondered what a fully reuseable vehicle would look like that is smaller than Starship.  They could combine the Merlin with the stainless steel construction and have something flying quickly.  Whether Merlin or Raptor, it would be interesting vehicle.   (Maybe Blue Origin will spend a decade developing that capability)

But like you said, Starship will be flying soon enough. 
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Online jpo234

• Liked: 2110
  • Likes Given: 1792
« Reply #617 on: 03/22/2022 07:44 am »
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1505879400641871872

Notable: Important space officials in Germany say the best course for Europe, in the near term, would be to move six stranded Galileo satellites, which had been due to fly on Soyuz, to three Falcon 9 rockets.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 791
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #618 on: 03/23/2022 12:34 am »
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1505879400641871872

Notable: Important space officials in Germany say the best course for Europe, in the near term, would be to move six stranded Galileo satellites, which had been due to fly on Soyuz, to three Falcon 9 rockets.

Considering the likely fate of Sentinel 1-B, Sentinel 1-C and 1-D launch may be moved up, necessitating a SpaceX launch as well...

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2530
  • Likes Given: 8044
« Reply #619 on: 03/23/2022 01:24 am »
[...]

Considering the likely fate of Sentinel 1-B, Sentinel 1-C and 1-D launch may be moved up, necessitating a SpaceX launch as well...

I'm wondering if the current circumstances won't be used by many users to "Oh! Regrettably we are forced to launch on F9", which was probably what they would have chosen had they be free to do so.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography