Author Topic: Sierra Space Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread (was SNC)  (Read 740576 times)

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10198
  • Likes Given: 11927
Re: SNC Dream Chaser UPDATE Thread
« Reply #440 on: 05/20/2014 03:34 am »
I think if we were to ask "NASA" which of the Commercial Crew vehicles they'd prefer to fly, it would be the Dream Chaser.  Nothing against the two capsules, just that landing on a runway is so much more civilized.

Good job Sierra Nevada - keep up the good work!
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #441 on: 05/20/2014 12:57 pm »
Got a bit carried away with other stuff to flesh out the article, so it's also a commercial crew update, but mainly on DCSS

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/05/dream-chaser-wind-tunnel-tests-ccicap-milestone/

Delta Cryogenic Second Stage?  8)

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #442 on: 05/20/2014 01:43 pm »
I think if we were to ask "NASA" which of the Commercial Crew vehicles they'd prefer to fly, it would be the Dream Chaser.  Nothing against the two capsules, just that landing on a runway is so much more civilized.
When did the ISS get itself a runway? :P
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #443 on: 05/20/2014 02:41 pm »
Nothing against the two capsules, just that landing on a runway is so much more civilized.
I think that propulsive landing like the Dragon will have is pretty cool too and will allow for more choices for the landing. I guess it is a matter of taste. I do find the DC a lot more appealing than the CST100 though.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #444 on: 05/20/2014 02:43 pm »
Got a bit carried away with other stuff to flesh out the article, so it's also a commercial crew update, but mainly on DCSS

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/05/dream-chaser-wind-tunnel-tests-ccicap-milestone/
Great article Chris! I liked the phrase "Californian tumble"... sounds like a new dance step...  ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #445 on: 05/20/2014 03:08 pm »

I don't think of it as a detriment to the article that you were explicit in describing the situation as it stands, with the "competitors" battling out and the time constraints... it was a full and I believe accurate article.... one that needs to be published now, (for those that read only the articles) as we close in on the political (congress) encouraged down select... I am truly hopeful that all will eventually find a place in Space Transportation, regardless of the winner of the contract to ferry astronauts to the ISS...
     Thanks for the update, very encouraging....

Gramps
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline AngusJimiKeith

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #446 on: 05/20/2014 04:54 pm »
@jeff_foust
John Roth, Sierra Nevada Corp.: working w/U. Maryland, have a full-scale Dream Chaser model in their neutral buoyancy lab to simulate EVAs.
10:40am - 14 May 14

So these pics are of full scale pressure vessel: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29416.msg1189153#msg1189153

Post edited to reflect that. Not sure how they're going to simulate EVA, there is no hatch on the model. The only access is through the back, where the docking port will be...and it doesn't look like someone in full EVA gear is going to fit through that.
« Last Edit: 05/20/2014 04:55 pm by AngusJimiKeith »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #447 on: 05/20/2014 06:38 pm »

Delta Cryogenic Second Stage?  8)

Dream Chaser Space System :) Just a coincidence they both use that.

Great article Chris! I liked the phrase "Californian tumble"... sounds like a new dance step...  ;D

Thanks! ;D And to Gramps too.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #448 on: 05/20/2014 06:48 pm »
A LOVELY article. Shared to social media... [1]

GO Dream Chaser!

1- say, reader, have YOU shared some awesome NSF articles with your circle lately??... it's good for the site, and it's good for Space in general... propagate good info and drive out the bad.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
« Reply #449 on: 05/20/2014 09:17 pm »
A LOVELY article. Shared to social media... [1]

GO Dream Chaser!

1- say, reader, have YOU shared some awesome NSF articles with your circle lately??... it's good for the site, and it's good for Space in general... propagate good info and drive out the bad.

I shared. It's a good habit to get into.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
« Reply #450 on: 05/20/2014 11:53 pm »
From the article:

"The plan, according to SNC, is to fly an internally selected crew of astronauts on that vehicle at the end of 2016". 

So does this mean the first flight will be manned?  Or does this mean the above will happen only if they survive the down select, and there will be an unmanned orbital test flight prior regardless?

"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #451 on: 05/21/2014 01:50 am »

Great article Chris.

Things are certainly getting sporty!

Online adrianwyard

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 367
« Reply #452 on: 05/23/2014 11:24 pm »
SNC/VG are switching from HTPB to polyamide for the hybrid motors on SpaceShipTwo. I wonder if this will have any impact on the hybrid motors on DC.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/virgin-voyage/virgin-galactic-makes-switch-spaceshiptwos-rocket-motor-n113216

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #453 on: 05/25/2014 01:38 am »
SNC/VG are switching from HTPB to polyamide for the hybrid motors on SpaceShipTwo. I wonder if this will have any impact on the hybrid motors on DC.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/virgin-voyage/virgin-galactic-makes-switch-spaceshiptwos-rocket-motor-n113216
Why would it?

Online adrianwyard

« Reply #454 on: 05/25/2014 06:03 am »
Because rumor has it the HTPB-based SS2 motors had vibration and/or performance issues, and best guess is the DC motors are similar in size. DC has a carbon composite structure like SS2, and so could have similar vibration tolerances.

On the other hand SNC has already passed CC payment milestones for HTPB motor demonstrations. If these were instrumented for vibration, then there's no cause for concern...

Offline Elmar Moelzer

« Reply #455 on: 05/25/2014 09:33 pm »
Because rumor has it the HTPB-based SS2 motors had vibration and/or performance issues, and best guess is the DC motors are similar in size. DC has a carbon composite structure like SS2, and so could have similar vibration tolerances.

On the other hand SNC has already passed CC payment milestones for HTPB motor demonstrations. If these were instrumented for vibration, then there's no cause for concern...
No, they are different motors.

Online adrianwyard

« Reply #456 on: 05/25/2014 09:41 pm »
SS2 motor is ~60K lb, and best guess is DC motors are ~50K lb. Different? Yes. Similar? Also yes.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #457 on: 06/05/2014 10:10 am »
SNC Wind Tunnel test
Rick Hall inside the Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel adds the final touches before testing. The SNC Dream Chaser (DC) spacecraft is a lifting body design used to provide commercial crew services to the International Space Station. 3/12/14 photo taken by David C. Bowman, NASA Langley Research Center
Jacques :-)

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064

Online adrianwyard

« Reply #459 on: 06/10/2014 08:47 pm »
QinetiQ developing docking mechanism that may be used on Dream Chaser:

http://www.qinetiq.com/media/news/releases/Pages/qinetiq-space-wins-contract-with-european-space-agency-to-develop-international-berthing-docking-mechanism.aspx

"Farnborough, 3 June 2014: QinetiQ Space has won a contract with the European Space Agency (ESA) for the development of the International Berthing Docking Mechanism (IBDM), a unique soft docking system for use by spacecraft at the International Space Station (ISS)."

"ESA has started a cooperation with the American aerospace company, Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) which is developing the Dream Chaser, a small reusable spacecraft that is a candidate to transport astronauts to the ISS. The IBDM may potentially be used for attaching this new vehicle to the ISS in the future."

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography