Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 2048450 times)

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1204
  • Likes Given: 598
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #8100 on: 01/12/2024 04:45 pm »
Hi, I put this decade old video here without any reason, throughput is now 5 times of that...

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #8101 on: 01/15/2024 02:46 am »
Internet went down again!

"Deployment of 23 @Starlink satellites confirmed"

You need Starlink Steven.   ;D

It sure is great watching a Starlink mission on Starlink Service lol

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9408
  • Likes Given: 8092
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9408
  • Likes Given: 8092
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1834
  • Likes Given: 8836
« Reply #8104 on: 01/19/2024 02:13 am »
Congratulations to SpaceX on the launch of Axiom-3 to the ISS!

SpaceX Dragon has now launched 46 people into orbit.

Boeing Starliner has launched 0.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1701
  • Likes Given: 2841
« Reply #8105 on: 01/19/2024 02:51 am »

OIG "NASA have not implemented our recommendations for managing the price of the Artemis program".
Gov response: Cancel SX and BO's contracts, because there is not a good mechanism for penalizing them if they are late on milestones, and fixed price is not a good way of contracting moon missions. Give the additional work and missions to the NASA Prime Contractors: Aerojet Rocketdyne, Boeing, Jacobs, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman.

Comment: "At least Boeing have extensive experience in working on problems, such as dangerous flight software, setting the clock, parachute errors, neglected corroded and jammed valves, and schedule slip. Addressing  these problems may eventually lead to solving some of them one day"
They have succeeded in being awarded extra funds for late milestones, on a fixed price contract. This shows astute management.
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #8106 on: 01/19/2024 02:34 pm »

OIG "NASA have not implemented our recommendations for managing the price of the Artemis program".
Gov semi-senile former NASA Administrator response: Cancel SX and BO's contracts, because there is not a good mechanism for penalizing them if they are late on milestones, and fixed price is not a good way of contracting moon missions. Give the additional work and missions to the NASA Prime Contractors: Aerojet Rocketdyne, Boeing, Jacobs, Lockheed Martin, and Northrop Grumman.

Comment: "At least Boeing have extensive experience in working on problems, such as dangerous flight software, setting the clock, parachute errors, neglected corroded and jammed valves, and schedule slip. Addressing  these problems may eventually lead to solving some of them one day"
They have succeeded in being awarded extra funds for late milestones, on a fixed price contract. This shows astute management.
Fixed that for you.  ;)

Said Administrator was the bottom of the barrel paraphasing @VSECOTSPE. Will added that he  is almost solely responsible for NASA inertia until the mid 2010s.

AFAIK the launch contractors with NASA except for the SLS/Orion/EGS mess are primaly the folks from Hawthorne, secondary the folks from Centennial and tertiary the folks from McLean. Also according to @Jim Boeing and LockMart are no longer in the commercial and military launch businesses, all assets was passed onto ULA.

Amusingly Aerojet Rocketdyne couldn't bid for anything now, since they are a division of L3 Harris.

Online Comga

• Liked: 4581
  • Likes Given: 5186
« Reply #8107 on: 01/23/2024 03:35 pm »
(Because this is the only joke thread....)

A half century ago, in a Penuts by Charles Shultz strip which I cannot find, (but JAFO did!) Charlie Brown Linus is blowing soap bubbles. 
Snoopy runs out, takes the bubble gingerly in his teeth, brings it all the way back to Linus, but at the last moment, steps on his own ear and smashes the soap bubble in his mouth.
The SLIM lunar landing seems a lot like that.
SLIM seemed to follow the designed path from halfway around the Moon at 600 km with orbital velocity to tens of meters above the surface with little residual velocity and lots of margin on fuel.
Then it flopped over and rolled on its side.
"so deft and clumsy at the same time" the comic strip said.
« Last Edit: 01/30/2024 10:11 pm by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7548
  • Likes Given: 73623
« Reply #8108 on: 01/24/2024 02:41 am »
Re: discussion in this thread:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=60253.0

The kids in the cartoon ads were cruel to Sonny and the Trix rabbit.  But, I still laugh.  ;D
« Last Edit: 01/24/2024 02:43 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline aero

• Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #8109 on: 01/30/2024 08:04 pm »
Just a thought. The 9 meter Starship booster is called the Super Heavy. What will they call the 12 meter booster if they ever make one?  The Super Duper Heavy?
And that gives a new acronym, the SDH!
Retired, working interesting problems

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 877
  • Likes Given: 974
« Reply #8110 on: 01/30/2024 08:43 pm »
(Because this is the only joke thread....)

A half century ago, in a Penuts by Charles Shultz strip which I cannot find, Linus is blowing soap bubbles. 
Snoopy runs out, takes the bubble gingerly in his teeth, brings it all the way back to Linus, but at the last moment, steps on his own ear and smashes the soap bubble in his mouth....
"so deft and clumsy at the same time" the comic strip said.

https://peanuts.fandom.com/wiki/July_1956_comic_strips

Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
Ernest K. Gann

Offline darkenfast

« Reply #8111 on: 01/31/2024 01:21 am »
Just a thought. The 9 meter Starship booster is called the Super Heavy. What will they call the 12 meter booster if they ever make one?  The Super Duper Heavy?

Naw, just call it the SpaceX Launch System (SLS). By then, those letters won't be in use for anything else flying.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #8112 on: 01/31/2024 02:29 am »

Naw, just call it the SpaceX Launch System (SLS). By then, those letters won't be in use for anything else flying.

Wrong. With the current chaotic nomenclature scheme for naming SpaceX vehicles, which is whatever takes Musk's fancy at naming time. A more likely name for a 12+ meter diameter booster is Ludicrous Heavy and of course there is only Plaid Heavy after Ludicrous Heavy for next bigger booster later on.

Musk already implemented the Spaceball movie naming scheme with Tesla.  :P

Think there will not likely to be a 12 meter diameter booster from SpaceX. More likely a 15 meter or even more likely a 18 meter diameter booster instead.  ;)

Offline HVM

• Finland

Offline HVM

• Finland
« Reply #8114 on: 02/15/2024 06:03 am »
Ooh, no ; P

Offline darkenfast

« Reply #8115 on: 02/16/2024 04:47 am »
Unfortunately, the military censors airbrushed out the fact that the disk is riding on four giant elephants, which in turn are atop the great Star-Turtle A'Tuin. The general population is just not ready...

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60459
  • Likes Given: 1309
« Reply #8116 on: 02/21/2024 10:40 am »
 When I carry a really full Guiness back in Brisbane, and try to set it down without spilling any, I picture an F9 landing on a rocking barge.

I really appreciate this place, where I don't have to feel like the craziest one in the room.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2024 09:55 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 1742
« Reply #8117 on: 02/21/2024 03:40 pm »
Crazy? Did anyone say crazy?  For your reading pleasure, three decades of the venerable newsgroup alt.sci.physics.new-theories to smile about. When I was a freshman student, I came across these posts in the sci.physics and alt.physics newsgroup hierarchies and said "huh?". Maybe such a historical reference helps to improve some conversation here on How >not< to approach 'New Physics' material to learn from. Initial link from 1992 and second link is today. Just scan a few pages :)
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sci.physics.new-theories/search?q=before%3A1992-02-18
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sci.physics.new-theories?pli=1
« Last Edit: 02/21/2024 03:41 pm by leovinus »

Online StraumliBlight

• UK
  • Liked: 568
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #8118 on: 02/26/2024 09:43 pm »
In light of today's IF-2 Starship update.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2024 09:44 pm by StraumliBlight »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60459
  • Likes Given: 1309
« Reply #8119 on: 03/01/2024 08:48 am »
 I'm sure this post in the Curiosity thread won't last long, so I thought I'd preserve it here. It's how I expect our future AI overlord to start talking about three days after It takes over.

"I recently started using CBD grease to resist direct my dread and  cbd infused honey rally my sleep quality. I be required to approximately, it's been a game-changer in place of me. The lubricator is comfortable to exercise, with lawful a not many drops directed the tongue, and it has a serene, enjoyable taste. Within a only one minutes, I can deem a sagacity of calm washing atop of me, which lasts instead of hours. My rest has improved significantly; I drop asleep faster and wake up compassion more rested. There's no grogginess or side effects, just a customary, relaxing effect. Favourably put forward quest of anyone looking to deal with note or overhaul their sleep."
« Last Edit: 03/01/2024 08:49 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Tags: SpaceX partythread 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography