Author Topic: [Max-Q] "The Next Endeavour"  (Read 31237 times)

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 89
Re: [Max-Q] "The Next Endeavour"
« Reply #20 on: 05/18/2013 11:14 am »
Awesome video. That's better than a lot of actual TV movies with big productions.

Offline FransonUK

• Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me...don't ya
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 05/21/2013 12:31 pm »
Best Endeavour video ever!

Nathan, I want to marry you RIGHT NOW! ;D
« Last Edit: 05/21/2013 12:31 pm by FransonUK »
Don't ya wish your spaceship was hot like me

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 05/22/2013 12:53 am »
Thanks guys.  Being able to film these events ourselves makes a huge difference.  We have access to far more footage and can edit more selectively as far as video and audio are concerned (the latter was edited a lot more than you may think for this one).  Plus, the events are more personal when we're actually there, so we find a greater drive and ability to pay proper tribute to them, as our own memories and emotions work their way into the process.

Now, if you don't mind a personal story, you might like this -

This one was really special to me for a number of reasons.  In case it wasn't obvious, the middle-aged gentleman in the film helping with camera work is my dad.  In 1994, he sat me down with him to watch a Discovery Channel documentary about the space shuttle, which heavily featured Endeavour.  This was his very first encounter with an orbiter (as well as my last with one in transition), so it was very special to be able to share this with him.  We'd watched that documentary of Endeavour together, and suddenly, 18 years later, we were standing together beneath her.  It was great to be able to share it with my sweet wife, Allie, too, as she'd never seen one either.  You see her a couple of times during the evening viewing.

It also brought my shuttle chasing days to an end three years to the day after they began.  On September 20, 2009, I got an unexpected visit from Discovery when she landed in Amarillo (two hours north of where I was living at the time).  She was riding atop SCA 911 on her way back from Edwards after STS-128.  On September 20, 2012, I watched as Endeavour flew out of Houston atop SCA 905, bound again for California.

In between, I had seen the penultimate launch of Atlantis, the deliver of Discovery to the Smithsonian, stood beneath Enterprise on her final day at Udvar-Hazy and toured NASA's historic Shuttle Carrier Aircraft.  That's all four orbiters and both SCAs, bookended by mirror images - The oldest orbiter atop the youngest SCA going east, and the youngest orbiter atop the oldest SCA going west.  Both were the final flights of their kind, as 911 carried out the last ferry of an operational orbiter, while 905 carried out the last ferry of an orbiter, ever.

It's been an incredible journey, and I feel honored and blessed to have shared it with some of the neatest people I know.  I owe it all to NASASpaceflight.com, too, as much of this never would have happened without each and every one of you (especially you, Chris Bergin).  So, simply put, thank you all.
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography