Author Topic: STS-135: Personal Photos (Pre-launch to post-landing) Thread  (Read 164876 times)

Offline janmb

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
This almost has to be taken from the same weather station my wife and I watched from this morning.  The only place elevated to see above the trees during landing and see the shuttle backlit against the building sunrise.

Indeed it was... We we're parked on top of that hill (red camaro)

And I'd like to echo the thanks for the tip on that viewing location - it was great!

One could always wish for less vegetation and an even better view, but as it turned out, this was as good as it gets without VIP/employee access
Jan M Berg
Software Engineer
Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace
Norway

Offline OpsAnalyst

I'm posting photos and notes on STS135 - will update with additional links as each Part goes up.

Blog Post: Atlantis Journal (Part 1) features "insider" photos of Atlantis and the STS135 crew on Launch Day -1 . 

http://ow.ly/5RuKO

Cheers,

MLD

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
I'm posting photos and notes on STS135 - will update with additional links as each Part goes up.

Blog Post: Atlantis Journal (Part 1) features "insider" photos of Atlantis and the STS135 crew on Launch Day -1 . 

http://ow.ly/5RuKO

Cheers,

MLD
Thanks; interesting stuff.

Offline 20vturbo

finally finished putting together what I had...what a fun launch to re-live!!

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
Very well done. Many thanks.

Offline MadameConcorde

• The sky is my home
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 5
finally finished putting together what I had...what a fun launch to re-live!!

I had the exact same experience, same busses, going to the same place, witnessing the very last Space Shuttle launch with Endeavour's launch some weeks before, again from the same spot.

Thank you for the good memories.

I will always miss them.

:-(
For once you have tasted Concorde you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde

Offline 20vturbo

Thanks guys! I'll sure miss it too but at least we have a reply button in our heads!! (occasionally helped by a few images and sounds) :)
« Last Edit: 08/14/2011 12:39 pm by 20vturbo »

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
Thanks guys! I'll sure miss it too but at least we have a reply button in our heads!! (occasionally helped by a few images and sounds) :)

Enjoyed it, very well put together!

Offline 20vturbo

Enjoyed it, very well put together!

Thanks it was fun to shoot and put together (for the most part!  ;) )

Offline DrGuano

• Minnesota
Very nice!

Offline 20vturbo

Thanks! :)

Offline gchockry

• San Jose, CA
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 970
"Don't cry because it is over. Smile because it happened."
- STS-135 Crew quoting Dr. Seuss

After getting through the Stages of Grief for the Space Shuttle Program ending and over a serious bout of Procrastination, I pulled together my YouTube video of the STS-135 Atlantis launch. Just in time for Holiday sharing!

I wanted to capture the launch and mission experience. With the unexpected Hold at the T minus 31 second count and with extra story content, the video ended up at 22 minutes!

If you wish to jump ahead, select "Show More" of the "Description" and click on the [min:sec] timestamps. Resolutions for 720p HD and 1080p HD are available, but you may have to buffer to keep the playback smooth.

I will post the shorter scenes early in the New Year. I have already posted the shorter scenes from my STS-133 Discovery and STS-134 Endeavour launch videos. Find them on my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/gchockry

The vantage point for those were from the East Causeway with the general public (tour operators and LTT access). I was fortunate to be invited to view the STS-135 launch from the West Causeway with friends who are NASA employees / affiliated.

Offline crowe-t

• Satellite Of Love
  • Liked: 2
Hi, I'm new here and just found this thread.  There are some beautiful pictures posted here from the launch.

Here are some pictures I took from the Causeway of the STS-135 launch.  This was my first Shuttle Launch and I still can't get the image out of my mind. 

Mike.

« Last Edit: 12/24/2011 12:16 am by crowe-t »

Online JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
I think these were my two favorite images from Lift and Mate.

-No matter how much we talk about the machines, the people who did the work are the ones were really were the heart and soul of the Shuttle.

-What the Shuttle symbolized to me: The United States was the only country to operate a winged spacecraft.
« Last Edit: 12/24/2011 02:11 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline NGCHunter

• Liked: 187
Better late than never, they say?  Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I wanted to add my small contribution to this archive.  I wasn't about to attend the STS-135 launch or landing due to my work schedule, but I could not pass up the opportunity to see Atlantis in person at some point during her mission.  I have experience tracking ISS in orbit using my telescope and some software, but unfortunately there were no appropriate evening opportunities during 135 from my location in Florida.  So I did what I had to do, track it in broad daylight.  I knew it could be done in theory, ISS is bright enough to be seen in broad daylight, but I had never successfully done it with the telescope during the day.  1.25 hours after sunrise on July 17th, I took my shot. 

I had aligned the telescope prior to dawn early that morning.  That was the key to success.  You can sync the telescope on a bright object during the day like the moon or a planet, but it's not as accurate as a proper 2 star alignment.  The telescope performed brilliantly, it put ISS right in the field of view of the viewfinder camera, and within seconds I was able to adjust the tracking to put it in the field of view of the main camera (which is what I recorded with).  I took 11 frames from the peak of the pass at the end of the video to stack with Registax and create this still image of Atlantis docked to ISS:

Here's the raw video:

Last summer I attended the grand opening of the new Atlantis exhibit at KSC.  I met commander Chris Ferguson during the autograph signing and he kindly autographed a print of my photo of his mission.  He was rather shocked I was able to get a photo with that much detail.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img690/9141/fz0s.jpg
« Last Edit: 05/09/2014 06:27 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

No apologies necessary, NGCHunter--that is stunning!  Would love to meet you at Onizuka Center at Mauna Kea some time!

Offline NGCHunter

• Liked: 187
Thank you PahTo!  If I ever make it over there I'll be sure to stop in.  The farthest west I ever seem to get is San Diego for Neuroscience conventions.  One day though I'd love to see Mauna Kea, it's on the bucket list.

Offline chrisking0997

• NASA Langley
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 317
amazing!!  thanks for sharing
Tried to tell you, we did.  Listen, you did not.  Now, screwed we all are.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Awesome photo!  Glad you shared it because this thread needed a bump for me to find it!

Offline OV104

3 years ago today...

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography