Author Topic: Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion  (Read 295778 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Re: Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion
« Reply #1040 on: 03/30/2018 07:38 pm »
2018 March: dip update 9/n
March 30, 2018
[Orig: March 30, 2018]

Hi everyone,

New data taken the past couple days show that the brightness is back to normal, or perhaps just below normal. 

Have a great weekend!

~Tabby and team

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2018/03/30/2018-March-dip-update-9n

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 837
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #1041 on: 03/31/2018 10:41 pm »

So, with the red flux back to normal and the overall magnitude in the visible range going down ever faster, is the evaporating gas giant hypothesis looking ever more likely? am I correct that it explains all observations?

- A gas giant migrating too close to its star probably won't simmer away calmly. Instead it will occasionally and irregularly have massive reactions in the core as tidal forces, mass, temperature and pressure pass certain thresholds. These would increase the density of the "accretion disk" left behind in the wake of the planet, resulting in the big drops in flux as these regions, and not necessarily the planet itself, pass in front of the star. They also never have the same shape because these denser regions are themselves dispersed by the star's radiation.

- A solar storm or increased stellar activity could temporarily blow the "accretion disk" away, causing the brightening effect seen in Fredric Parker's videos.

- As the planet spirals inward, the evaporation effect will become ever stronger, explaining the long term dimming effect.

-The gases coming off the gas giant only absorb higher frequencies, and expand rather than heating up. They are blown away by the star, but are replenished even faster by the planet. So no IR excess

- While we have seen other gas giants close to their star, catching them in the final phase (last few years/decades?) of being ripped apart by their star is probably quite rare. which explains why this star is the only one we've seen so far with this behavior.

Anyone agree with me, or am I missing something that doesn't quite fit this explanation? Or have I not been paying attention in the last few months and is this the current hypothesis?

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #1042 on: 03/31/2018 10:51 pm »
I asked about that somewhere else, and from what I understand, the rayleigh scattering wavelength for molecular hydrogen and helium is much too high for the observed dimming.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1043 on: 03/31/2018 10:59 pm »
I asked about that somewhere else, and from what I understand, the rayleigh scattering wavelength for molecular hydrogen and helium is much too high for the observed dimming.

You are correct in that this theory was discarded some time ago.

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #1044 on: 04/01/2018 03:59 pm »
A giant planet that close would cause a dimming every few days.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Last Edit: 04/03/2018 08:29 am by Star One »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1046 on: 04/03/2018 08:15 pm »
Via Reddit.

Tabby's latest kickstarter e-mail shares that the latest observations from ELP in West Texas have brightness back up to normal.

Apparently, Tabby and Team are treating the March 2018 sequence as two dips, and each will have its own name.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1047 on: 04/06/2018 06:51 am »
Announcing: Caral-Supe!
April 5, 2018
[Orig: April 5, 2018]

Hi everyone,

"Caral-Supe" is now the name for the first dip in March 2018!!  It is now labeled on the latest light curve (see below).

More on "Caral-Supe": Sticking with the archaeological theme, the ancient city Caral-Supe is one of the earliest sites in the Americas - well over 4000 years old. Also notable is the large number of musical instruments found at the site, and almost no evidence of warfare or human sacrifice.

The name of the 2nd dip will be announced early next week, so stay tuned!

Best,

~Tabby and team

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2018/04/05/Announcing-Caral-Supe

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1048 on: 04/21/2018 09:38 am »
From what I’ve read online it seems the betting is on Gaia DR 2 showing this star as being closer to Earth than previously estimated.

Offline as58

• Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 186
« Reply #1049 on: 04/22/2018 06:00 am »
From what I’ve read online it seems the betting is on Gaia DR 2 showing this star as being closer to Earth than previously estimated.

I don't see why. The star was already included in DR 1 parallax catalogue, which showed that it's about as far as expected based on its brightness. It would be surprising if DR 2 changed the distance estimate significantly in either direction and I'm not expecting that Gaia DR2 will help very much in solving the mystery of this star. My feeling from what I've read online is that some people have rather unrealistic expectations about what Gaia can do.

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #1050 on: 04/22/2018 06:20 am »

I don't see why. The star was already included in DR 1 parallax catalogue, which showed that it's about as far as expected based on its brightness. It would be surprising if DR 2 changed the distance estimate significantly in either direction and I'm not expecting that Gaia DR2 will help very much in solving the mystery of this star. My feeling from what I've read online is that some people have rather unrealistic expectations about what Gaia can do.

The initial release put KIC8462852 significantly but not dramatically closer than the previous estimates.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1051 on: 04/22/2018 08:13 am »

The initial release put KIC8462852 significantly but not dramatically closer than the previous estimates.

Precisely. And within the error bars of the original release the talk is of it being closer still.

Offline Star One

• UK
Boyajians Star Updates And Discussion
« Reply #1052 on: 04/25/2018 12:38 pm »
https://twitter.com/tsboyajian/status/989083597058527235?s=20

450pc for #BoyajiansStar from #GaiaDR2

https://twitter.com/tsboyajian/status/989085877501603840?s=20

just 4 pc from our spectroscopic plx here (link: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622.pdf) arxiv.org/pdf/1509.03622…
« Last Edit: 04/25/2018 12:39 pm by Star One »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1053 on: 04/25/2018 05:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/benmontet/status/989160328935215111?s=20

The WTF paper used an estimate of the line of sight extinction from the colors of the spectrum vs what's expected for an F3 star to get to 450 pc. If there's a 100-year dimming due to line of sight dust (including circumstellar) that should be accounted for in the estimate!

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1054 on: 06/01/2018 07:45 pm »
https://twitter.com/gdsacco/status/1002228695560605696?s=20

Excited to announce that our paper (1574-day orbit at Boyajian"s Star) was accepted / published at JAAVSO! (link: https://www.aavso.org/apps/jaavso/article/3327/) aavso.org/apps/jaavso/ar…
@BoyajiansStar @tsboyajian @Astro_Wright

Abstract
Observations of the main sequence F3V star KIC 8462852 (also known as Boyajian’s star) revealed extreme aperiodic dips in flux up to 20% during the four years of the Kepler mission. Smaller dips (< 3%) were also observed with ground-based telescopes between May 2017 and May 2018. We investigated possible correlation between recent dips and the major dips in the last 100 days of the Kepler mission. We compared Kepler light curve data, 2017 data from two observatories (TFN, OGG) which are part of the Las Cumbres Observatory (LCO) network, as well as archival data from the Harvard College Observatory (HCO), Sonneberg Observatory, and Sternberg Observatory, and determined that observations appear consistent with a 1,574-day (4.31-year) periodicity of a transit (or group of transits) orbiting Boyajian’s star within the habitable zone. Comparison with future observations is required to validate this hypothesis. Furthermore, it is unknown if transits that have produced other major dips as observed during the Kepler mission (e.g. D792) share the same orbital period. Nevertheless, the proposed periodicity is a step forward in guiding future observation efforts.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2018 07:49 pm by Star One »

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #1055 on: 06/04/2018 05:11 pm »
We know from the spectrum seen during the last few dips that the dimming is caused by fine dust. As mentioned in the Deeg et. al. paper the dust particles are too small to resist being blown away by the radiation pressure of the star's light. Whatever is causing the dust needs to be replenishing it on a timescale of days.

If the 1574 day period is confirmed to be statistically significant then it is likely that whatever is generating the dust is in that orbit. Assuming that the orbit is somewhat circular the object or objects would be nice and warm most or all of the time. What sort of object can produce that much dust while being in a relatively stable orbit at a distance of 3au? I'd think that even if it was a comet swarm the comets would have shed all the volatiles and become inert long ago.

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1056 on: 06/04/2018 05:59 pm »
We know from the spectrum seen during the last few dips that the dimming is caused by fine dust. As mentioned in the Deeg et. al. paper the dust particles are too small to resist being blown away by the radiation pressure of the star's light. Whatever is causing the dust needs to be replenishing it on a timescale of days.

If the 1574 day period is confirmed to be statistically significant then it is likely that whatever is generating the dust is in that orbit. Assuming that the orbit is somewhat circular the object or objects would be nice and warm most or all of the time. What sort of object can produce that much dust while being in a relatively stable orbit at a distance of 3au? I'd think that even if it was a comet swarm the comets would have shed all the volatiles and become inert long ago.

Did you spot the reference to a secondary closer orbit to the star? This matter is still being looked into at this time.

https://twitter.com/tsboyajian/status/1002954026600861697?s=20

“Stars that make you say #WTF “ (link: https://aas.org/media-press/archived-aas-press-conference-webcasts#.WxLInAeWOvI.twitter) aas.org/media-press/ar… @AAS_Press
5:44 pm · 2 Jun 2018
« Last Edit: 06/04/2018 06:17 pm by Star One »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1057 on: 06/05/2018 07:42 pm »
https://twitter.com/LSUResearch/status/1004034059541065728?s=20

California high school students from @CdeP will present new data on #TabbysStar at the #aas232 press conference today.

Tune in at 11am MDT/12pm CDT:
(link: https://aas.org/media-press/aas-press-conference-webcasts) aas.org/media-press/aa…

@tsboyajian @LSUphysastro

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #1058 on: 06/06/2018 11:19 am »
Newly published paper on a 1574-day periodicity

I know so many want to know in plain English what all this means.  If confirmed, a 1574-day periodicity further constrains several potential long-standing causes of the ongoing dips, such as intrinsic variation or dust in the interstellar medium. Simply put, it means there is something in orbit around the star at about 3 AU (within the habitability zone assuming a circular orbit).  Furthermore, this paper may lend support to the Boyajian et al. (2018) paper, in which fine dust was identified as a possible cause of the dips.  It also adds intrigue to the Boyajian et al. (2016) paper with respect to the observation that many dip separations are multiples of 24.2 days.  Interestingly, a 1574-day period is equivalent to 65 even periods of 24.2 days.  Furthermore, when you combine orbiting material with century-long dimming and no detected IR excess, it adds more mystery to this star….not less.  The fact is, we still don’t know what the source is of such dust. Perhaps a ring of broken comets that are slowly moving into our line of sight thereby dimming the star over decades or even centuries.  Or maybe, just maybe, something unnatural.  In any case, whatever the cause, this paper should make you want to say "WTF" even more so!

http://www.wherestheflux.com/single-post/2018/06/04/Guest-Post-Newly-published-paper-on-a-1574-day-periodicity
« Last Edit: 06/06/2018 01:42 pm by Star One »

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #1059 on: 06/27/2018 06:37 am »
New paper from Schaefer coauthors. They tie together data from a whole bunch of sources and conclude that the "dips" and long term "dimming" are actually one phenomena that happens on timescales from days to centuries, all produced by dust. A mechanism to explain the production of the dust remains elusive.

The KIC 8462852 Light Curve From 2015.75 to 2018.18 Shows a Variable Secular Decline
The star KIC 8462852 (Boyajian's Star) displays both fast dips of up to 20% on time scales of days, plus long-term secular fading by up to 19% on time scales from a year to a century. We report on CCD photometry of KIC 8462852 from 2015.75 to 2018.18, with 19,176 images making for 1,866 nightly magnitudes in BVRI. Our light curves show a continuing secular decline (by 0.023 +- 0.003 mags in the B-band) with three superposed dips with duration 120-180 days. This demonstrates that there is a continuum of dip durations from a day to a century, so that the secular fading is seen to be by the same physical mechanism as the short-duration Kepler dips. The BVRI light curves all have the same shape, with the slopes and amplitudes for VRI being systematically smaller than in the B-band by factors of 0.77 +- 0.05, 0.50 +- 0.05, and 0.31 +- 0.05. We rule out any hypothesis involving occultation of the primary star by any star, planet, solid body, or optically thick cloud. But these ratios are the same as that expected for ordinary extinction by dust clouds. This chromatic extinction implies dust particle sizes going down to ~0.1 micron, suggesting that this dust will be rapidly blown away by stellar radiation pressure, so the dust clouds must have formed within months. The modern infrared observations were taken at a time when there was at least 12.4% +- 1.3% dust coverage (as part of the secular dimming), and this is consistent with dimming originating in circumstellar dust.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography