Author Topic: Apollo CM interior lights  (Read 7436 times)

Offline SpaceSim

• Space Simulator
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Apollo CM interior lights
« on: 07/01/2013 07:39 pm »
I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Apollo Command Module had any interior lights, and if so, what kind of lights they were.

We're currently making an ultra-realistic apollo missions simulator and we want to get the color and tone of the lighting inside the CM just right as it will be one of the focus points of the gameplay. From the films and video footage it's not immediately apparent whether there were any sources of light other than from outside and from the indicators.

Would anyone have any idea about this?
« Last Edit: 07/01/2013 07:44 pm by SpaceSim »
Realistic physics, space simulator for iPad, Android and PS3. The ultimate ultra-realistic space simulator.
Visit us at www.space-simulator.com

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Apollo CM interior lights
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2013 07:53 pm »
There were many lights.  The Apollo Operations Handbook provides the detail on the locations of the floodlights.

Offline joema

• Regular
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2013 08:56 pm »

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Apollo Command Module had any interior lights, and if so, what kind of lights they were...We're currently making an ultra-realistic apollo missions simulator and we want to get the color and tone of the lighting inside the CM just right...

Besides interior flood lights, Apollo spacecraft used back-lit electroluminescent panel lighting. The lettering itself glowed. This was promoted by astronaut Pete Conrad when working on the LM at Grumman, and was later adopted in the Block II Command Module.

If you want true realism, you'll need to have this or a reasonable facsimile.

Apollo Experience Report -- Lighting Considerations:  http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/tnD7290Lighting.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroluminescence

This is the LM panel, but the CM looked similar. However CM interior lighting was fluorescent, whereas the LM was incandescent. I don't know the color temperature: http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/Documents/LM-Panel-Sept1968.jpg
« Last Edit: 07/01/2013 08:58 pm by joema »

Offline drpepper

• The land of 10,000 bars, WI
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2013 12:47 am »
My memory is that the climax of the movie Apollo 13 also includes several closeup shots of the lights coming on as the CM was powered up; in addition to the more general shots seen throughout the rest of the movie.

Due to the nature of Hollywood, I'm sure they took some liberties with the design, but it may be close enough for your purposes.

Offline seshagirib

• terra firma
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #4 on: 07/03/2013 05:47 pm »
My memory is that the climax of the movie Apollo 13 also includes several closeup shots of the lights coming on as the CM was powered up; in addition to the more general shots seen throughout the rest of the movie.

Due to the nature of Hollywood, I'm sure they took some liberties with the design, but it may be close enough for your purposes.

In the movie, likely they were also liberal with the number of lights that were switched on.
 I would expect that minimum number of lights were switched on to conserve power.
astronaut on space ship earth

Offline SpaceSim

• Space Simulator
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: 07/03/2013 08:15 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

The manual can tell me where the lights are, but I'd really like to find out how the light appeared, eg, its tint. I didn't want to rely too much on the movie but I guess it'll have to do.
Realistic physics, space simulator for iPad, Android and PS3. The ultimate ultra-realistic space simulator.
Visit us at www.space-simulator.com

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #6 on: 07/03/2013 09:23 pm »
« Last Edit: 07/03/2013 09:25 pm by Jester »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman