Author Topic: New Forum Sections  (Read 111836 times)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Re: New Forum Sections
« Reply #60 on: 01/01/2016 04:37 pm »
I think we could move all the Mars robotic threads into there and make it a more general section for those threads?

That would actually work well.  Separate threads within a Science category would work fine for all the various planetary probes.  It's fine to have a live thread for the breaking main events, such as landing, orbital insertion, etc., but after that kind of major event, the Science category can be where such threads live -- they don't need their own categories indefinitely, IMHO.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #61 on: 01/01/2016 05:18 pm »
Should earth science missions such as Jason 2 & DSCOVR etc go in there as well?

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #62 on: 01/01/2016 08:05 pm »
Should earth science missions such as Jason 2 & DSCOVR etc go in there as well?

This sort of distinction is why I advocate a few different subforums for the Science/Robotic spaceflight section, just so things can have a bit more breathing room and be among threads of similar subjects. Or maybe broader groups "Planetary robotic missions" "Lunar robotic missions" "Earth orbiting science missions", or somesuch.

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2518
  • Likes Given: 2181
« Reply #63 on: 01/02/2016 12:24 pm »
Roll MSL section back into Space Science, then move Space Science under the General Discussion header? (Between Live Events and Historical?) Lose the separate RoboSC section header entirely.

Missions du jour will naturally float to the top anyway.

Offline francesco nicoli

• Amsterdam
    • About Crises
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #64 on: 01/02/2016 12:55 pm »
honestly I believe we need  a section on Space Economy, development and colonization.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #65 on: 01/02/2016 03:03 pm »

honestly I believe we need  a section on Space Economy, development and colonization.

You're about five to thirty years down the line with that kind of thing though, surely that would go under advanced concepts.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #66 on: 01/02/2016 04:47 pm »

You're about five to thirty years down the line with that kind of thing though, surely that would go under advanced concepts.

Well, yes and no.  There are legitimate business and policy issues that can usefully be discussed - I joined the Space Frontier Foundation back in 1995 (and outher advocacy groups before that) to work on things like that.  A lot of the policy work we did laid the groundwork for things like the X prize, "spaceflight participants" (the word "tourists" was strongly discouraged (although if *I* ever get to go, I'm wearing a hawaiian shirt ...)), commercial supply and commercial crew.  Policy work and regulatory regime development need to lead commercial activities by a good bit.

I'm not sure there's enough discussion here to warrant a separate section here ("General Discussion" works for now) - but fransesco is right in that there is currently no obvious section for policy development, regulatory environment, and the business / economic issues facing a permanent move off-planet...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #67 on: 01/02/2016 05:58 pm »
Yeah, the things to consider are:

1) Is a current section too fat. If so, 2 (like we did when we had one SpaceX section).
2) Is there enough specific threads to start a new section (30+ threads).
3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (thinking Starliner for example, out of Commercial Crew).
4) Not to have the forum menu too long.

4 will be helped by merging MSL into robotic, but that might make the latter a bit fat. Going to have a look at it tonight :)
« Last Edit: 01/02/2016 05:59 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #68 on: 01/04/2016 12:02 pm »

3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (Starliner).

Yes Please... Things will be going fast I think this year leading up to the first crewed flight in late 2017
« Last Edit: 01/04/2016 12:03 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #69 on: 01/04/2016 05:07 pm »

3) Is a new section required for a specific topic (Starliner).

Yes Please... Things will be going fast I think this year leading up to the first crewed flight in late 2017

We have an article to go on this week for Starliner, so I'll get that section sorted before then! :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #70 on: 01/04/2016 05:45 pm »
Given the number (20+) of Small LV in development how about dedicated section for them.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 01/05/2016 02:34 pm »
Given the number (20+) of Small LV in development how about dedicated section for them.

Yeah, there's a lot - thinking 39C....but do we have a lot of threads to require a section?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #72 on: 01/06/2016 01:25 pm »
CST-100 section is now up and running.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #73 on: 01/17/2016 02:10 am »
Are there any plans for a completed ULA missions/pre-ULA Legacy missions thread for ULA section as it now has a has a lot of threads and is somewhat messy and hard to find previous threads when people ask questions.
It might be time to move ULA/Legacy to a dedicated section/area like SpaceX. Also the other US launchers section needs to be cleaned out and reorganized better to adapt to the surrounding sections and areas

If yes, what about also adding this for SpaceX, China, Arianespace and Russian sections.
Many thanks RH117
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 02:16 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #74 on: 01/17/2016 02:11 am »

Yeah, there's a lot - thinking 39C....but do we have a lot of threads to require a section?
I looked and if you include attempts by previous companies then you have a good ton or so threads that qualify.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #75 on: 01/18/2016 12:35 pm »
Polite suggestion for removing a section:

With Dream Chaser now with its own section there is a lot of overlap between the content in the Commercial Space forum and the Commercial Crew Vehicles forum. Those two could probably be rolled together without losing anything.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #76 on: 02/25/2016 01:19 pm »
Is it an Idea to make a section for manned suborbital spaceflight:
All Blue Origin, Xcor_Lynx and VirginGalactic can go in this section.
Another idea is to make a separate section for BlueOrigin, or move all threads about blue more to one place.
Good luck organizing this. PS. sorry for the duplicate thread.   

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #77 on: 04/05/2016 11:44 am »
Possible! Let's see how many people like your suggestion as a test of that! :)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #78 on: 04/05/2016 01:52 pm »
Don't like it so much.  I agree, we get into some real diversions, here.  But that makes it fun.  As long as the forum is moderated to the extent it is, to avoid really bad off-ramps and personal attacks, etc., we can manage the way it is.

This reminds me of the old argument that some things shouldn't be shown on TV, when the ultimate argument is that if a discussion doesn't interest you, or has diverged to where you're frustrated or bored by it -- just change the channel.  Don't insist that, just because something is boring or non-useful to you, that no one else can have it, either.

Implement this kind of limitation and it's a first step down the road to a nice, controlled discussion -- where only four or five people make their points and have driven everyone else out to a forum where they can initiate their own thoughts and discussions without asking Mother-may-I...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #79 on: 04/05/2016 02:30 pm »
Initially I was tempted to like Mr. Scott's post, but....

Maintainance of such thread-to-start-a-thread system would not be simple task either.

If the topic is not suitable or does not fit under the forum name, then it should not be posted. There are corner cases, for which this system could work.

A two-week no new topics ban for new users would work against outright chinese spammers and other unwanted commercial stuff.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography