Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Iridium NEXT - Jan 14, 2017 (17:54 UTC)- UPDATES  (Read 221629 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
Congrats to SpaceX on their successful Return to Flight.....and here's to hoping I NEVER have to type "Return to Flight" again!!

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Congrats SpaceX. Hoping for a boring year without surprises from you.

Offline ehb

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 563
Congratulations all involved with this launch. A special thank you to SpaceX for making my childhood Sci-Fi dreams into reality.  Amazing landing footage, don't know if I can take a triple landing, but bring it on, hopefully this year!

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Falcon 9 Launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base

AiirSource Military

Published on Jan 14, 2017
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with an Iridium NEXT satellite launches from Space Launch Complex-4, Jan. 14, 2017, Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. Iridium NEXT will replace the world’s largest commercial satellite network of low-earth orbit satellites in what will be one of the largest “tech upgrades” in history.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Flying Beaver

NUMBERED CORES ARE REAL!!!!!!!

First flight of '29 today, wont be the last xD.

« Last Edit: 01/15/2017 04:46 am by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81624
  • Likes Given: 36932
Matt Desch ‏@IridiumBoss  7h7 hours ago
Great picture of our launch today.  Next time (April) they'll make sure Iridium NEXT logo on fairing pointed my way!

https://twitter.com/IridiumBoss/status/820422206228340736

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
A few more launch photos from SpaceX

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch - Vandenberg - Iridium NEXT

AIRBOYD

Published on Jan 14, 2017
"Today is a landmark moment in history for global air traffic surveillance, air traffic safety and the aviation industry as a whole," said Don Thoma, CEO, Aireon. "This successful first launch brings us one step closer to changing the way the world flies by enabling the ability to track aircraft anywhere on the planet. Once our global ADS-B surveillance service is fully deployed, every ADS-B equipped aircraft can have its precise location accounted for 24/7."

Satellite based ADS-B http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/aireon-announces-successful-first-launch-for-space-based-ads-b-network-300391110.html

Iridium NEXT https://www.iridium.com/network/iridiumnext

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket with an Iridium NEXT satellite launches from Space Launch Complex-4, Jan. 14, 2017, Vandenberg Air Force Base Calif. Iridium NEXT will replace the world’s largest commercial satellite network of low-earth orbit satellites in what will be one of the largest “tech upgrades” in history. With multiple organizations working toward the same goal of mission success, strong working relationships among organizations are paramount.

Video by Jan Jones, Staff Sgt. Kaleb Mayfield and Tech. Sgt. Kurt Villavicencio 30th Space Wing

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline moralec

Congratulations to SpaceX! Flawless mission!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Falcon 9 launches from Vandenberg

By Staff Sgt. Shane M. Phipps, 30th Space Wing Public Affairs / Published January 14, 2017

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- 
Team Vandenberg, alongside SpaceX and Iridium partners, recently launched the Iridium NEXT satellite on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex-4, here, Jan. 14.

Iridium NEXT will replace the world’s largest commercial satellite network of low-earth orbit satellites in what will be one of the largest “tech upgrades” in history. With multiple organizations working toward the same goal of mission success, strong working relationships among organizations are paramount.

“The strong relationship that SpaceX has with the Air Force is incredibly important to shared mission success,” said Lars Hoffman, SpaceX Senior Director of Government Sales. “The SpaceX team is made stronger by our partnership with the Air Force. As one of two launch providers certified by the Air Force for national security space missions, SpaceX is greatly appreciative of the confidence that the Air Force has placed in us to support efforts to deliver critical national security payloads to space, and our strong partnership is essential in doing so.”

Vandenberg Airmen agree fostering strong relationships with all partners, including SpaceX, is critical in the launch business.

“SpaceX is a valued partner and we look forward to their continued success moving forward, beginning with this successful launch,” said Lt. Col. Jarod Martin, 1st Air and Space Test Squadron commander.

With Col. J. Christopher Moss, 30th Space Wing commander, acting as the launch decision authority, the Air Force supported and enabled the launch from start to finish.

“From launch scheduling to range support, SpaceX works closely with the Air Force on preparations for the execution of every mission,” said Hoffman. “The Air Force also performs fleet surveillance as part of SpaceX’s (Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle) certification.”

Working closely with SpaceX during preparation of the launch, Vandenberg’s 1st Air and Space Test Squadron Airmen witnessed SpaceX personnel’s dedication and determination first-hand.

“The tireless efforts of SpaceX culminated in a successful static fire on Jan. 5, demonstrating the F9-30 rocket’s ability to put the Iridium-1 payload into orbit,” said Capt. Nathan Snow, 1st ASTS mission integrator for SpaceX. “The 1st ASTS launch team was highly motivated to support this launch.”

Iridium has partnered with Thales Alenia Space for the manufacturing, assembly and testing of 81 Iridium NEXT satellites, at least 70 of which will be launched by SpaceX. The process of replacing the satellites one-by-one in a constellation of this size and scale has never been completed before.

“All launches are important to SpaceX,” said Hoffman. “The payloads for this return-to-flight launch are the first 10 of at least 70 Iridium NEXT satellites that SpaceX will be launching for Iridium’s next generation global satellite constellation by early 2018. As the world’s only global satellite constellation reliably covering 100 percent of the Earth’s surface, the implementation of the Iridium NEXT satellites will mark a significant achievement in mobile satellite communications, and SpaceX is looking forward to helping make it happen. Iridium-1 is also SpaceX’s first mission since the anomaly on Sept. 1. Getting back to flight safely and reliably has been our top priority, and the data gathered from our investigation, which included participation from the Air Force, NASA, and the FAA, will result in an even safer and more reliable vehicle for our customers and partners. We’re looking forward to fulfilling our manifest for them in 2017 and beyond.”
« Last Edit: 01/15/2017 01:46 pm by jacqmans »
Jacques :-)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Congrats to SpaceX, thanks for continuing to improve the coverage, this was a picture perfect launch and the rocket cam was amazing. Loved seeing the droneship get bigger and bigger...

Congrats to everyone else involved too. So glad the RTF went so well.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline subzero788

• Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 108
Congrats Elon and team!

Offline Raul

• Ústí nad Orlicí, CZECH
  • Liked: 1188
  • Likes Given: 99
Mission patch by Iridium.
https://twitter.com/IridiumBoss/status/820739797849346050
Iridium launch #1 patches, pins etc available now - there will be at least 7... http://www.iridium.com/store . Collect them all!

Offline rpapo

Just spotted this on the net, and I don't remember seeing anybody posting it on NSF yet.

Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Congrats SpaceX and Iridium on a great first launch of the NEXT constellation!  Special congratulations to the SpaceX teams which worked on designing and building the new dispensers.  Great to demonstrate new capabilities!

Thanks to Steven, Zach, and Chris for posting your updates.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
Reminder to all that we are watching the Long Beach dock operations in this thread:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42052.40
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online Chris Bergin

Holy moly!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex

Photos now they've got the reel of film back from the ASDS:

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
We are ahead of schedule w/ testing of #IridiumNEXT sats. We will start ascending them into storage orbit by tmrw 2 complete payload testing

https://twitter.com/iridiumcomm/status/821843609821605888

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
One week since Launch 1. Over 100 orbits and >27 million miles already - and IoT testing complete. 1st orbit raise to payload test underway!

https://twitter.com/iridiumboss/status/822788898740899840

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography