Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424060 times)

Offline Bubbinski

Saw Alicia Murphy's Periscope and there was a big thing covered with tarp on the barge. Possibly octaweb/engines?
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
Saw Alicia Murphy's Periscope and there was a big thing covered with tarp on the barge. Possibly octaweb/engines?

Probably similar to the Jason-3 debris, strongest parts (engines & inter-stage) survived.

Here's pictures of the pieces from Jason-3 for comparison

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Anyone going to be down by the Port today for debris pics?
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline MarekCyzio

Not much left

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Could be most of the stage... someone just let the air out.

Engines/octoweb are still in the center of the target circle, which would put most of the horizontal stage on board.
« Last Edit: 06/19/2016 04:54 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Thanks for grabbing the snap.

Looks far worse than the Jason-3 core, in terms of any sort of octaweb salvage.
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
Looks surprisingly intact for a tip-over. Previously internal pressure blew chunks of the tank skin all over the place and shredded it pretty thoroughly. This looks more like it just laid down and collapsed under it's own weight. The flattened-out section looks like it's still attached to the thrust structure/motors, Just with the uppermost part of torn off and collapsed flat on the deck. Could there be a fast pressure vent set to dump the tank pressure at touchdown down to limit flying debris or something?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
Looks surprisingly intact for a tip-over. Previously internal pressure blew chunks of the tank skin all over the place and shredded it pretty thoroughly. This looks more like it just laid down and collapsed under it's own weight. The flattened-out section looks like it's still attached to the thrust structure/motors, Just with the uppermost part of torn off and collapsed flat on the deck. Could there be a fast pressure vent set to dump the tank pressure at touchdown down to limit flying debris or something?
It's called the legs poking holes in the side :)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
SpaceX - Booster Remains In Port - Eutelsat-ABS - 06-19-2016

USLaunchReport

Published on Jun 19, 2016
Today the wind blew off part of the tarps covering what is left of Eutelsat-ABS booster.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
It's called the legs poking holes in the side :)

Yeah, that was probably what did it. I'd just assumed it was the result of something intentional. Almost better it could work out that way -  It's free, completely automatic and can't unintentionally vent the tank if the stage lands undamaged.*

*Because tanks with big holes punched in them are pretty much by definition damaged.  :P It's not a bug, It's an undocumented zero-mass feature!

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Could be most of the stage... someone just let the air out.

Engines/octoweb are still in the center of the target circle, which would put most of the horizontal stage on board.

Well, that's one stage that won't need refurbishing. :)

Not that I'd expect there to be anything more than a few dents, but I do hope the deck isn't too badly damaged.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline CorvusCorax

• Germany
  • Liked: 4009
  • Likes Given: 2738
Sadly, I fear the interstage didn't make it on board. That all looks like crumpled tankage to me.

Would have been useful to salvage the log files from the stage.

Is there any hints that they managed to retrieve the interstage? I thought the white thing on the sat image was it, but now it looks more like that was a piece of LOX tank.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
Florida Today is reporting that Port Canaveral is looking to charge SpaceX $15,000 per returned core. SpaceX isn't happy. As had been mentioned, rocket cores are not a new thing at Port Canaveral (Shuttle SRB's, ULA stages) so its hard to see this as anything other than a bit of money grab... http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/spacex/2016/06/20/spacex-may-face-port-canaveral-fee-booster-return/86135670/

Offline JMS

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 78
Wow... floridatoday has a popup ridden obnoxious site.
« Last Edit: 06/21/2016 12:27 am by JMS »

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
Florida Today is reporting that Port Canaveral is looking to charge SpaceX $15,000 per returned core. SpaceX isn't happy. As had been mentioned, rocket cores are not a new thing at Port Canaveral (Shuttle SRB's, ULA stages) so its hard to see this as anything other than a bit of money grab... http://www.floridatoday.com/story/tech/science/space/spacex/2016/06/20/spacex-may-face-port-canaveral-fee-booster-return/86135670/

They key sticking factor seems to be that the proposed port fee is 7x what anyone else pays
and the port isn't providing any special services or even the crane!
« Last Edit: 06/21/2016 02:00 am by OpelGT »

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
Florida Today is reporting that Port Canaveral is looking to charge SpaceX $15,000 per returned core. SpaceX isn't happy. As had been mentioned, rocket cores are not a new thing at Port Canaveral (Shuttle SRB's, ULA stages) so its hard to see this as anything other than a bit of money grab...

So they want to charge $500/ton for a 30-ton rocket stage 12' in diameter secured on 4 stands certainly spreading the load over a 20' square?   

Meanwhile for comparison, a single 20' Standard Cargo Container can hold 25-tons and wharfage is $28/ton.

18x does seem quite unrelated to the actual wear and tear on the port.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
Elon Musk -- sighing -- "Okay, how much will it cost to build our own little port just off Complex 39 on Merritt Island?  And will NASA lease the beachfront for the purpose?"

Don't tell me, I know, you can't just dredge a port out of a beachfront... sigh...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Florida Today is reporting that Port Canaveral is looking to charge SpaceX $15,000 per returned core. SpaceX isn't happy. As had been mentioned, rocket cores are not a new thing at Port Canaveral (Shuttle SRB's, ULA stages) so its hard to see this as anything other than a bit of money grab...

So they want to charge $500/ton for a 30-ton rocket stage 12' in diameter secured on 4 stands certainly spreading the load over a 20' square?   

Meanwhile for comparison, a single 20' Standard Cargo Container can hold 25-tons and wharfage is $28/ton.

Wouldn't surprise me that San Pedro and Brownsville will jump on the bandwagon will do the same (IMHO).
« Last Edit: 06/21/2016 04:14 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA

They're acting like it's gonna crush the wharf, but what do you know
the rocket weighs a little more than a cargo container and is legally transported on the road from coast to coast.

*** Never pick a fight with a stubborn billionaire  ;) ***
« Last Edit: 06/21/2016 04:19 am by OpelGT »

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
The value of the 1st stage is what $20-$30 Million.  The harbor wants to charge $15k to un-load it from the drone ship.  Is this really a fight that SpaceX wants to have?  Pay the damn fee and move onto more important things.   
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography