Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2  (Read 642837 times)

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #440 on: 06/24/2014 12:40 am »
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/2538/1

Good review of the latest CST-100 event and status of the program in general. Worth reading.

Assuming Boeing does win a contract from NASA to provide launch services for its astronauts and international crew members to the International Space Station, Boeing and ULA state the first launch (no crew) will take place early in 2017, with the first crewed mission commanded by Christopher Ferguson to take place mid-2017. Boeing’s goal is to have the first mission dock to the ISS, not merely make an approach.

-OPF-3 engine shop refurbishment complete, shuttle processing area still being renovated.
-Crew access tower design "96% complete"
-Confirms AV 422 (2 SRBs)
-Boeing wants to sell tourist excursions to ISS via Space Adventures.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #441 on: 06/24/2014 12:44 am »
“We’ve got a great relationship with Space Adventures,” John Mulholland told Space News in November of 2012. “I love the idea of flying people up to the International Space Station. It brings additional awareness to all the good things that are being done on the space station. You build advocacy. So we really hope to be able to partner with Space Adventures and NASA to fly customers in extra seats to the International Space Station.”

Good to hear. Shame we haven't heard it recently.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2014 12:55 am by QuantumG »
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 343
« Reply #442 on: 06/24/2014 01:04 am »

Good review of the latest CST-100 event and status of the program in general. Worth reading.

Assuming Boeing does win a contract from NASA to provide launch services for its astronauts and international crew members to the International Space Station, Boeing and ULA state the first launch (no crew) will take place early in 2017, with the first crewed mission commanded by Christopher Ferguson to take place mid-2017. Boeing’s goal is to have the first mission dock to the ISS, not merely make an approach.

-OPF-3 engine shop refurbishment complete, shuttle processing area still being renovated.

Nice find! Great info on a fairly reclusive program. I wish there was enough money for all 3 vendors because they are all pretty exciting.

Offline arachnitect

« Reply #443 on: 06/24/2014 01:16 am »
“We’ve got a great relationship with Space Adventures,” John Mulholland told Space News in November of 2012. “I love the idea of flying people up to the International Space Station. It brings additional awareness to all the good things that are being done on the space station. You build advocacy. So we really hope to be able to partner with Space Adventures and NASA to fly customers in extra seats to the International Space Station.”

Good to hear. Shame we haven't heard it recently.

References to a 5th seat in CST imply that Boeing is protecting the option.

Not only would a tourist seat require NASA's approval, on a $ per kg. basis NASA cargo is pretty lucrative.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8530
  • Likes Given: 1351
« Reply #444 on: 06/24/2014 02:11 am »
But wait.  Solid rocket motors are far too dangerous for human launches.  There will be vibrations that will shake the crew to death, and those motors are far too skinny (the rocket will surely tip over), and when the rocket blows up chucks of the solids will set the parachutes on fire.  This is all Griffin's fault.  Etc. ........ 

Appropriate metacommunicative pictorial representation of a facial expression goes here.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 06/24/2014 02:15 am by edkyle99 »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #445 on: 06/24/2014 02:27 am »

But wait.   ....snip...   There will be vibrations that will shake the crew to death, and......snip ......, and when the rocket blows up chucks of the solids will set the parachutes on fire.  This is all Griffin's fault.  Etc. ........ 

Those all happen to be true for a particular vehicle, so what is your point?

Online TrevorMonty

Thanks for the link.

Sounds like Boeing are in this for long haul,  especially as they are also targeting Bigelow's customers. Would be interesting to know how many commercial customers Bigelow has.

Offline happyflower

• Earth
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #447 on: 06/24/2014 03:08 am »
This really bothered me. I understand prepare for the worst hope for the best, but there is such a thing as crushing the spirit of the engineers.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2014/06/boeing-wont-bui.html

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #448 on: 06/24/2014 05:21 am »
Good article and this confirms that they are looking beyond ISS for commercial human space flight which some have doubted.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #449 on: 06/24/2014 02:38 pm »
This part bothers me a lot. Is the CST 100 really that heavy?

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #450 on: 06/24/2014 03:12 pm »

think 5-9 passengers
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #451 on: 06/24/2014 03:23 pm »

more interesting:

Senator Nelson spoke next. “This is a celebration of a public-private partnership. We are at the dawn of a new era,” he said. He suggested NASA could support more than one company in the next phase of the commercial crew program if it receives the $805 million proposed by the Senate. “That’s enough money for NASA to do the competition for at least two companies, and maybe more,” he said. “That, of course, is up to NASA as they evaluate all the proposals.”

down select to one would give you what?    A faster program, or a complete program?
Run some thinking SpaceX DV2 needs 4-500 million to complete with 80% paid by NASA
Boeing?
SNC ?
Would love to know the numbers.

Offline Malderi

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #452 on: 06/24/2014 04:16 pm »
Always thought originally baselining the Atlas 402 was a good idea. Gives you a lot of room for growth. A few years ago it was the 412, now the 422, and they've got an easy trade path (money for mass) if they need to grow more.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #453 on: 06/25/2014 04:08 pm »
This really bothered me. I understand prepare for the worst hope for the best, but there is such a thing as crushing the spirit of the engineers.

Of course there would be layoffs.  Outside of NASA, there is no commercially viable market to transport people to LEO for the reasonably foreseeable future.  Why spend money on a product with no near-term customers?  I really don't understand why people are shocked by this.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #454 on: 06/25/2014 06:23 pm »
A little less armwaving and chainyanking please. Trimmed.

A note: Disagreeing with mod actions is allowed. You do so by doing a "report to moderator" or by PMing Chris.... he holds all of our briefs and if he thinks one of us screwed up he lets us know in no uncertain terms....

You do NOT do so on forum, and especially not in a way that casts aspersions on others. Posts doing so get removed, usually with no explanation.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2014 06:46 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #455 on: 06/25/2014 07:21 pm »

Of course there would be layoffs.  Outside of NASA, there is no commercially viable market to transport people to LEO for the reasonably foreseeable future.  Why spend money on a product with no near-term customers?  I really don't understand why people are shocked by this.

No kidding.  Boeing is a big boy.  It's used to this game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-32

Fast forward to 1:47:00 if you want to watch the tears and cheers.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2014 07:23 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #456 on: 06/27/2014 12:33 pm »
Boeing has some flashy 3D printed rocket engine news to promote if they wished.  But mostly its not Boeing's style.   The story is still great!

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33141.msg1219927#msg1219927

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #457 on: 07/02/2014 05:50 pm »
Well, Boeing won $2 billion in F-18 derivative contracts and $2.8 billion for the center core of the SLS today.  I think they won't cry in their beer too loudly if they don't land commercial crew too.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/07/01/boeing-gets-contract-to-build-more-fighter-jets/11932069/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-boeing-gets-28-billion-nasa-contract-20140702,0,1896819.story
« Last Edit: 07/02/2014 05:51 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1061
« Reply #458 on: 07/03/2014 01:31 pm »

think 5-9 passengers
So assuming that they baselined for 5 passengers, then we still only have about 400kg more weight (assuming weight for people, extra chairs, spacesuits, etc) for 9 people. This still sounds to me like their capsule is very heavy for what it does (and compared to Dragon v2).

Offline arachnitect

« Reply #459 on: 07/03/2014 06:14 pm »

think 5-9 passengers
So assuming that they baselined for 5 passengers, then we still only have about 400kg more weight (assuming weight for people, extra chairs, spacesuits, etc) for 9 people. This still sounds to me like their capsule is very heavy for what it does (and compared to Dragon v2).

Do you have mass numbers for the two spacecraft, or are you going off LV performance?

F9 does far more kg to ISS orbit than AV421 (don't know how much extra performance the Dual Centaur adds, but I doubt it adds 3000kg).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography