Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2  (Read 642843 times)

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #360 on: 06/17/2014 06:50 pm »
Boeing has always been pretty honest about their bleak assessment of the business case without NASA. They are in it for the money, nothing more. That isn't a bad thing either. If we are going to have commercial space flight than companies need to be motivated for commercial and not ideological reasons.

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 968
« Reply #361 on: 06/17/2014 07:02 pm »
Interesting that the crew access tower was only designed for CST. Although I suspect if DC is chosen, then design mods will commence soon thereafter.

Boeing has been consistent wrt their business case or lack thereof without NASA. They have always expressed skepticism of achieving commercial operations without NASA

NASA needs to down-select sooner rather then later to provide some clarity. Clearly, no immediate business case is evident that will support all 3 systems.

Full up fund 2 competitors and let's get this done.
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #362 on: 06/17/2014 07:15 pm »
Boeing has always been pretty honest about their bleak assessment of the business case without NASA. They are in it for the money, nothing more. That isn't a bad thing either. If we are going to have commercial space flight than companies need to be motivated for commercial and not ideological reasons.

Would Boeing notice as much as a company  if they lost out here compared to say Space X?
« Last Edit: 06/17/2014 07:16 pm by Star One »

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #363 on: 06/17/2014 07:16 pm »
I disagree. One could say that SpaceX are in the game for ideological reasons.. Colonize Mars. Of course they have to make commercial sense as an ongoing business.
That is the way we are going to have commercial spaceflight, by cutting costs to get towards their eventual goal.
Boeing needs to spend less on lobbyists and less time gouging the American people and more time putting it's fine engineers to the task of expanding humanity's reach.
IMHO of course!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8531
  • Likes Given: 1351
« Reply #364 on: 06/17/2014 07:33 pm »
Surely the other competitors will be issuing similar notices to employees.  Can NASA fund more than one after this down select and still gain a crew taxi in a timely manner?

- Ed Kyle

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #365 on: 06/17/2014 07:49 pm »

Boeing needs to spend less on lobbyists and less time gouging the American people and more time putting it's fine engineers to the task of expanding humanity's reach.

All points are nonsense.   How is Boeing gouging the American people on CST-100 or 787?   Why should they be putting it's fine engineers to the task of expanding humanity's reach?  Why should any company?

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #366 on: 06/17/2014 07:59 pm »
One could say that SpaceX are in the game for ideological reasons.. Colonize Mars.

SpaceX is in the game because Elon has a boatload of money so he can build cool toys and fly rockets. Boeing is a commercial company. Since when does either have a mandate to save humanity?

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
« Reply #367 on: 06/17/2014 08:00 pm »
I didn't mention the 787. Maybe because of its great cost is why Boeing wants to gouge the USG (and hence people) for HSF and launches.
Jim, if I found you injured in the road I would help you. It would be of no benefit to me, however it would be the right thing to do. More so, we would both benefit subsequently.
That is why Boeing should grow a pair. Dare I say it, like SpaceX.
As always IMHO.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #368 on: 06/17/2014 08:02 pm »
Don’t hold the wake just yet folks... Boeing and its acquired companies have built every human rated spacecraft in US history... Being selected for full and SNC for partial wouldn’t be a bad thing. SpaceX will still go on to develop Dragon and Falcon will have more launches under its belt from cargo...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
« Reply #369 on: 06/17/2014 08:04 pm »
One could say that SpaceX are in the game for ideological reasons.. Colonize Mars.

SpaceX is in the game because Elon has a boatload of money so he can build cool toys and fly rockets. Boeing is a commercial company. Since when does either have a mandate to save humanity?
Who said anything about saving humanity? Or mandates?
SpaceX is a commercial company as is Boeing. One has a vision, one is about shareholders dividends.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #370 on: 06/17/2014 08:08 pm »
Jim, if I found you injured in the road I would help you. It would be of no benefit to me, however it would be the right thing to do. More so, we would both benefit subsequently.
That is why Boeing should grow a pair. Dare I say it, like SpaceX.
As always IMHO.

There is no one injured and hence Boeing has no obligation to help anyone.  Furthermore, it is wrong for you to say that they should and impose your beliefs on them.  They are free to do what they want and pursue the projects they want.

I didn't mention the 787. Maybe because of its great cost is why Boeing wants to gouge the USG (and hence people) for HSF and launches.

How is Boeing gouging the USG for HSF?
Also, HSF doesn't make enough money compared to commercial airplanes to matter.
More nonsense.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2014 08:11 pm by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #371 on: 06/17/2014 08:11 pm »
one is about shareholders dividends.

That is what most companies care about.

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
« Reply #372 on: 06/17/2014 08:17 pm »
New Space and Old Space...
It's pretty obvious you Old Space guys don't like the prospect of the status-quo being disturbed.
I don't know much about US politics, but it seems like there is a similar 'battle'/discussion going on there.
I enjoy our exchanges, but as my old gran used to say 'Out with the old, in with the new.'
I'm just rocket mad. I want to see new rockets and lots of them.
For that failing, you have my apologies.

Offline enkarha

• Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #373 on: 06/17/2014 08:23 pm »
Don’t hold the wake just yet folks... Boeing and its acquired companies have built every human rated spacecraft in US history.

Except the Lunar module (Grumman) and now, Orion(LM).
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars ♪

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #374 on: 06/17/2014 08:28 pm »
Don’t hold the wake just yet folks... Boeing and its acquired companies have built every human rated spacecraft in US history.

Except the Lunar module (Grumman) and now, Orion(LM).
Good point, I was thinking LEO ops...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #375 on: 06/17/2014 09:17 pm »
I don't think too much can be read into the WARN notices except that the people working on the CST-100 don't have immediate alternative internal job opportunities if they aren't awarded a CCtCap contract.

you can read into it the truth, the program was built on sandy soil.    Remember "commercial" was to be a partner in the costs, and help carry the program.  When SpaceX says the taxpayer is covering 80% of the costs of Dragon, & this announcement it just goes show the programs problems.  Just saying

It also shows Boeing has little faith in Bigelow and is unwilling to continue development on the CST-100 on it's own dime.  Both SpaceX and SNC have stated they will keep development going.

just posted an interview taken the last hr with Elon its in the DV2 section.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #376 on: 06/17/2014 09:33 pm »

Would Boeing notice as much as a company  if they lost out here compared to say Space X?
Boeing's space operations make up less than 1% of the company's revenue. And that includes CST-100, rockets, satellites, etc.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #377 on: 06/17/2014 09:51 pm »
It's pretty obvious you Old Space guys don't like the prospect of the status-quo being disturbed.

It has nothing to do with New Space and Old Space.   Spacex is an exception but all New Space companies are looking to make a buck and not expanding humanity's reach.

Offline IslandPlaya

• Outer Hebrides
« Reply #378 on: 06/17/2014 09:52 pm »

It has nothing to do with New Space and Old Space.   Spacex is an exception but all New Space companies are looking to make a buck and not expanding humanity's reach.
You are correct.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3968
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #379 on: 06/18/2014 06:26 am »

Boeing's space operations make up less than 1% of the company's revenue. And that includes CST-100, rockets, satellites, etc.

Thanks for that, I don't think that's any bad thing here that are so diversified.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography