Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2  (Read 642818 times)

Offline thomson

• Gdansk, PL
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 49
New Update and Discussion Thread for Boeing's CST-100.

Previous thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22125.0

News articles:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/cst-100/

L2 Master Thread:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29664.0

Remember to stay on topic.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #1 on: 07/25/2013 12:48 am »
Liked the mike too. The interior looks neat and spacious until you remember the power of wide angle lenses. The Ars Technica author commented on how crowded it would be with a full crew (but in zero G for 6 hours, not a big deal.)

Yep, all of the prospective commercial crew vehicles will get quite packed with a crew of seven. I have attached an image which shows how 7 would be seated: (top row of 3, then 4 below their feet) The wider diameter of the CST-100 compared to Dragon allows this kind of seating, whereas the Dragon cabin compensates by being taller, thus two levels. (bottom image)

Both seating arrangements have their pros/cons, so it will be interesting to see more final/complete mockups with all seats in place to judge how much space there is left.

Interior volume won't be a big issue with a day one docking:

Boeing is planning a flight day one rendezvous and docking capability with the space station, rather than the shuttle’s day-three berthing.

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_07_24_2013_p01-02-599911.xml&p=2

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: 07/25/2013 01:27 am »
day one docking

Even more precisely, docking within 12 hours, per Chris Ferguson:

"We're going to dock within 24 hours on a normal mission and six hours after undock, we are going to be on the ground... If everything goes well, you're not going to be a passenger in this vehicle in flight for more than 18 hours."

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-072313a.html

Offline justineet

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: 07/25/2013 02:10 am »
It probably has more room than SpaceX's capsule because it doesn't contain self-contained boosters like the Dragon....which I assume take some room...

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #4 on: 07/25/2013 06:33 am »
It probably has more room than SpaceX's capsule because it doesn't contain self-contained boosters like the Dragon....which I assume take some room...

They may not take up any room at all inside the pressurized cabin. The boosters/thrusters will share propellant with the regular Draco thrusters, and the thruster pods are located on the outside of the pressurized cabin - if the recent mock ups are accurate.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #5 on: 07/25/2013 09:51 am »
Is there anywhere more information about the SIMAC docking system? Tried searching the site and googling, no pdfs no diagrams no images of mockups, nothing. Can't even find what the acronym stand for  :-\
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #6 on: 07/25/2013 10:21 am »
Is there anywhere more information about the SIMAC docking system? Tried searching the site and googling, no pdfs no diagrams no images of mockups, nothing. Can't even find what the acronym stand for  :-\

Not sure this will be of any help with your searching, but my understanding is that SIMAC is an acronym for Soft Impact Mating Attenuation Concept
« Last Edit: 07/25/2013 10:21 am by AnalogMan »

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #7 on: 07/25/2013 11:42 am »
Is there anywhere more information about the SIMAC docking system? Tried searching the site and googling, no pdfs no diagrams no images of mockups, nothing.
There's not even anything on L2. I don't get why it seems like there's an embargo on SIMAC info.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4204
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 07/25/2013 02:07 pm »
Is there anywhere more information about the SIMAC docking system? Tried searching the site and googling, no pdfs no diagrams no images of mockups, nothing.
There's not even anything on L2. I don't get why it seems like there's an embargo on SIMAC info.

Intellectual property (Boeing) / ITAR issues?
DM

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #9 on: 07/25/2013 02:10 pm »
The overall design inside is very Star Trek voyager like.   Looks comfortable, futuristic, and use of space.  My well done to the team that produced this design.

;)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #10 on: 07/25/2013 02:36 pm »

Intellectual property (Boeing) / ITAR issues?
Aviation Week called it a "non-proprietary system" and stated it's supposed to be part of an international docking standard. Prior to SIMAC NASA published a plethora of knowledge on the NDS (they even let you download some STL files of it), so I'm not sure why ITAR would now prevent them now from posting some basic info.

I've recently contacted the International Docking Standard website and NASA PAO to see if I could get any info on the project, I'll post an update when they email back.
« Last Edit: 07/25/2013 03:01 pm by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #11 on: 07/25/2013 02:37 pm »
SIMAC is an acronym for Soft Impact Mating Attenuation Concept

Thanks, got a bit more hits with that but any kind of image or diagram still eludes searches.

The vague descriptions give impression of mechanized iLIDS sans the magnets ... which would be pretty much APAS clone.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #12 on: 07/25/2013 02:52 pm »
SIMAC is an acronym for Soft Impact Mating Attenuation Concept

Thanks, got a bit more hits with that but any kind of image or diagram still eludes searches.

The vague descriptions give impression of mechanized iLIDS sans the magnets ... which would be pretty much APAS clone.
The impression I got was that it would be an APAS clone with different dimensions and resource connections (which is why the IDA adapters are required).

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #13 on: 07/27/2013 06:56 am »
NASA Astronauts Demonstrate Operations in Boeing CST-100 Spacecraft

HOUSTON, July 24, 2013 – Two NASA astronauts evaluated communications, ergonomics and crew-interface aspects of the Boeing [NYSE: BA] Crew Space Transportation-100 capsule on July 22, showing how future astronauts will operate in the spacecraft as it transports them to the International Space Station and other low Earth orbit destinations.

In this photo, astronaut Serena Aunon prepares to enter the CST-100 mockup for flight-suit evaluations.

###

Photo credit: NASA photo
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #14 on: 07/28/2013 10:59 am »
Boeing Defense ‏@BoeingDefense 

PHOTO: @NASA's Randy Bresnik prepares to evaluate #Boeing CST-100 capsule http://flic.kr/p/feTNgu  @Commercial_Crew #CCDev @NASA_Astronauts

Jacques :-)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #15 on: 07/30/2013 04:42 pm »
At NewSpace 2013 I related my dismay at this comment:

“Crew safety is our top priority,” said Alex Diaz, Boeing director for the testing.

in the Boeing press release, http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2743

In the group of people was two Boeing employees who looked at each other, looked at me, and said "the mission is our top priority, safety is second, but boy oh boy do some people not understand that."

I think they get it.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: 07/30/2013 04:52 pm »
At NewSpace 2013 I related my dismay at this comment:

“Crew safety is our top priority,” said Alex Diaz, Boeing director for the testing.

in the Boeing press release, http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2743

In the group of people was two Boeing employees who looked at each other, looked at me, and said "the mission is our top priority, safety is second, but boy oh boy do some people not understand that."

I think they get it.

I assume the "Mission" is to transport the passengers on the CST-100 to their destination safely. If the passengers do not arrive at the destination safe and sound, then the mission is a failure.

What did the Boeing employees think the mission was ?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #17 on: 07/30/2013 04:55 pm »
I assume the "Mission" is to transport the passengers on the CST-100 to their destination safely. If the passengers do not arrive at the destination safe and sound, then the mission is a failure.

What did the Boeing employees think the mission was ?

That.. what you're missing is that Alex Diaz didn't say that. He said safety is the top priority, in which case you can easily achieve that by just not flying anyone. That's what makes it an incredibly stupid statement and yet people keep making it.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8575
  • Likes Given: 7674
« Reply #18 on: 07/31/2013 03:08 pm »
Engineers Test CST-100 Water Recovery Techniques

Published on Jul 31, 2013
The Boeing Company evaluated tools, equipment and procedures it could use if the CST-100 spacecraft is required to make a water landing. The testing included a full-scale mockup of the spacecraft floating in a specialized facility operated by Bigelow Aerospace near Las Vegas. The CST-100 is one of three spacecraft under development in partnership with NASA's Commercial Crew Program. The others are the SpaceX Dragon and Sierra Nevada Corporation Dream Chaser.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #19 on: 08/11/2013 01:21 pm »
So do I understand this correctly?    In the Boeing design the landing airbags (designed for land operations), also can be used as floatation in water landings?
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography