Author Topic: Blue Origin continuing work on New Glenn launch complex, support facilities  (Read 115464 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81689
  • Likes Given: 36943
https://twitter.com/blueorigin/status/1364969291746074628

Historic Launch Complex 36 is being built from the ground up and we have invested $1 billion in the project. Here’s a first look at the pad – including the “Road to Space” #NewGlenn will travel on prior to flight.

Edit to add:

« Last Edit: 02/25/2021 03:37 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1954
  • Likes Given: 1144
It's good to see Blue Origin starting to become more transparent about what they are doing.  I hope it continues.

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
Garry Gleckel, Launch site director, stated at 1:27 into the video, that vehicle access tower at LC-36 can support human spaceflight. That statement may have spoken volumes about an unannounced spacecraft, or perhaps, just stating it could support some unplanned human spaceflight or perhaps from another spacecraft maker.

Stay tuned.

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596
Garry Gleckel, Launch site director, stated at 1:27 into the video, that vehicle access tower at LC-36 can support human spaceflight. That statement may have spoken volumes about an unannounced spacecraft, or perhaps, just stating it could support some unplanned human spaceflight or perhaps from another spacecraft maker.

Stay tuned.

I know it's probably a capsule with regular second stage, but what would look cool too: A winged reusable space plane that works as a second stage too, top of the NG booster...

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
Weren’t there concepts of a biconic crewed spacecraft in the earlier days of Blue Origin?

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29

I know it's probably a capsule with regular second stage, but what would look cool too: A winged reusable space plane that works as a second stage too, top of the NG booster...

The Shuttle Orbiter does fit on top pretty well.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759

Graphic seems to check out so... ship it?  :-X

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14047
  • Likes Given: 1392

You're missing the hole for the wind-up key..
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1203
  • Likes Given: 596

You're missing the hole for the wind-up key..
Does this look better?
« Last Edit: 02/25/2021 08:12 pm by HVM »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Here are the Blue Origin videos as posted on You Tube:

« Last Edit: 02/26/2021 08:09 am by Star One »

Offline w9gb

• Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 2
Weren’t there concepts of a biconic crewed spacecraft in the earlier days of Blue Origin?
Yes.
==
Re-read the NASA Marshall Earth Orbit Rendezvous (EOR) designs from 60 years ago.

1. Saturn C-3 was planned launch vehicle, in that time period (1961)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_C-3

2. New Glenn matches the Saturn C-3 payload capacity (with partial reusability)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glenn

3. Human Landing System (Altair) National Team (Blue Origin, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, and Draper)
could use New Glenn to launch their lunar landing components to LEO or TLI.
https://www.blueorigin.com/blue-moon/national-team

4. IF Space Launch System (SLS) is terminated,
THEN New Glenn (maybe Vulcan) are only human-rated launchers for Lockheed’s Orion capsule.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2021 08:28 pm by w9gb »

Offline bombyx

• France
  • Liked: 160
  • Likes Given: 126
You can see two flare stacks in the last Blue's video.  I presume that there is one for LNG and one for Hydrogen.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2021 03:00 am by bombyx »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1368213905533771781

Blue Origin's LC-36, nothing big new, but a few smaller poles have been put up in the last month or so. #BlueOrgin #LC36

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1368214040363859969

The first photo is the poles I'm referring to and second is from January 25 before they were put up

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/julia_bergeron/status/1372203697984446468

I found the transporter that I saw on the causeway a few weeks ago. It did, indeed, end up at @blueorigin

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/tgmetsfan98/status/1378077522898866176

Blue Origin's expansive Launch Complex 36 will now not host a New Glenn launch until at least Q4 2022.

Joseph Navin (@josephanavin) and Lee Kanayama (@Falcon_1e) have an extensive history of LC-36 and the current status of Blue Origin's preparation work:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2021/04/blue-origin-complex-progress-new-glenn/

Blue Origin Continues to Make Launch Complex Progress for the Eventual Debut of New Glenn
written by Joseph Navin & Lee Kanayama April 2, 2021

The debut of Blue Origin’s orbital launch vehicle, New Glenn, has been delayed until no earlier than the fourth quarter of 2022. In advance of pathfinder operations later this year, the company has continued to make progress at Launch Complex 36 and Launch Complex 11, two historic facilities which will support the New Glenn program.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21466
  • Likes Given: 428
Let's get some terms right.  FSS is a shuttle term not applicable to other vehicles.
LC-36 has two lightning towers.  One of them may be used for crew access/umbilicals.  It is not the other way around.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1967
Do Blue Origin have any provisions in their plan for LC-36 to possibly support vertical integration?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Alberto-Girardi

Do Blue Origin have any provisions in their plan for LC-36 to possibly support vertical integration?

That would be useful for them, because a limit of F9 is that doesn't support vertical integration. I that may preclude some payloads, such some military ones. 
Ad gloriam humanitatis - For the Glory of Humanity
I want to become an Aerospace Engineer!

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598

That would be useful for them, because a limit of F9 is that doesn't support vertical integration. I that may preclude some payloads, such some military ones.
By the time Blue flies, F9/FH will support VI, at least on the east coast.
« Last Edit: 04/03/2021 04:39 pm by Tommyboy »

Offline Alberto-Girardi

twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1368213905533771781

Blue Origin's LC-36, nothing big new, but a few smaller poles have been put up in the last month or so. #BlueOrgin #LC36

https://twitter.com/kyle_m_photo/status/1368214040363859969

The first photo is the poles I'm referring to and second is from January 25 before they were put up

Why do they use two flare towers? Are there problems with piping both vents of CH4 and H2 to the same flare tower?
Ad gloriam humanitatis - For the Glory of Humanity
I want to become an Aerospace Engineer!

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography