Author Topic: Starlink : New FCC and ITU Filings  (Read 289618 times)

Offline OceanCat

• Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 206
Re: Starlink : New FCC and ITU Filings
« Reply #600 on: 03/21/2023 11:02 am »
SpaceX requested “Coordination Agreement between the National Science Foundation and SpaceX for the Protection of Radio Astronomy Observations in the Band 10.6-10.7 GHz in Accordance with Footnote US131 of the United States Table of Frequency Allocations” to be made entirely confidential and submitted it as a single empty page.

Among other things, disclosure of the Confidential Materials would provide competitors
and potential competitors sensitive information on the operational details and capabilities of the
SpaceX system and thereby enable unfair competition. Accordingly, public disclosure of any of
the information contained in the Confidential Materials is likely to cause competitive injury and
substantial irreparable harm. It is therefore exempted from disclosure under FOIA Exemption 4,
and Section 0.457(d) of the Commission’s rules.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226
« Reply #601 on: 04/04/2023 06:33 pm »
Peter B. de Selding is reporting that SpaceX filed a Gen2 Ka-, ku-, and w-band 30,000 satellite constellation.  Would this be a refiling of Gen2 to add the w-band frequencies?  Or could it be a Gen3 filing?

I will be interested to see where the v-band frequencies land.  Gen1?

Edit:  Oops, I now see that on March 22, SpaceX requested to add the v-band frequencies to 7,500 Gen2 satellites as well as ground stations and user terminals.  Legal narrative attached. I don't recall what NCo value they had on the v-band.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/1643253609822314496
« Last Edit: 04/04/2023 07:04 pm by RedLineTrain »

Offline virtuallynathan

« Reply #602 on: 04/05/2023 02:03 am »
Peter B. de Selding is reporting that SpaceX filed a Gen2 Ka-, ku-, and w-band 30,000 satellite constellation.  Would this be a refiling of Gen2 to add the w-band frequencies?  Or could it be a Gen3 filing?

Edit:  Oops, I now see that on March 22, SpaceX requested to add the v-band frequencies to 7,500 Gen2 satellites as well as ground stations and user terminals.  Legal narrative attached. I don't recall what NCo value they had on the v-band.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/1643253609822314496

This confused me, but W-band is the ITU classification that encompasses E-Band. Trying to review the filing, but its friggin Microsoft Access. Filing is USSAT-NGSO-3X.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2023 12:57 pm by virtuallynathan »

Offline OceanCat

« Reply #603 on: 04/05/2023 06:26 am »

This confused me, but W-band is the ITU classification that encompasses E-Band. Trying to review the filing, but its friggin Microsoft Access. USASAT-NGSO-12 and USSAT-NGSO-3X.

USASAT-NGSO-12 filing does not look like it was made by SpaceX. Apogee and perigee are 1080 km.

I looked at the "orbit" and "freq" tables in USSAT-NGSO-3X (I used mdb-tools on Linux to extract them). It looks like just a Gen2 update. W-band is the standard IEEE band name. E-band is not standard. The "freq" table lists 71000-74000/76000 MHz downlink and 81000-84000/86000 MHz uplink beams. The same ranges as in the Gen2 application. No V-band frequencies in USSAT-NGSO-3X filing.

Offline virtuallynathan

« Reply #604 on: 04/05/2023 12:57 pm »

This confused me, but W-band is the ITU classification that encompasses E-Band. Trying to review the filing, but its friggin Microsoft Access. USASAT-NGSO-12 and USSAT-NGSO-3X.

USASAT-NGSO-12 filing does not look like it was made by SpaceX. Apogee and perigee are 1080 km.

I looked at the "orbit" and "freq" tables in USSAT-NGSO-3X (I used mdb-tools on Linux to extract them). It looks like just a Gen2 update. W-band is the standard IEEE band name. E-band is not standard. The "freq" table lists 71000-74000/76000 MHz downlink and 81000-84000/86000 MHz uplink beams. The same ranges as in the Gen2 application. No V-band frequencies in USSAT-NGSO-3X filing.

Correct you are, edited my post.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #605 on: 04/05/2023 07:49 pm »

gg. SpaceX must coordinate with NSF to achieve a mutually acceptable agreement to mitigate the impact of its satellites on optical ground-based astronomy. SpaceX must submit an annual report to the Commission, by January 1st each year covering the proceeding year containing the following information: (1) whether it has reached a coordination agreement with NSF addressing optical astronomy; and (2) any steps SpaceX has taken to reduce the impact of its satellites on optical astronomy, including but not limited to darkening, deflecting light away from the Earth, attitude maneuvering, and provision of
orbital information to astronomers for scheduling observations around satellites’ locations.

This is awesome. The NSF (national science foundation) - which runs big ground based observatories has a say in how much light mitigation spaceX must do. Rule making means this isn't just up to the largesse of a for profit company.
This bodes well for precedent for all future constellations of other companies.
SpaceX has done more to mitigate optical effects than any other company, but they’ve gotten more hate about it than anyone else. Without an international agreement, this may just hamper US constellations while doing nothing to reduce overall light pollution. No good deed ever goes unpunished.

(It’s also a potential conflict of interest… space based astronomy will be revolutionized by the launch vehicle required for Starlink V2… ground based astronomy may have an interest in not being made largely obsolete? Or at least unduly dismissive of the BENEFITS to astronomy that Starlink’s launch vehicle brings to space astronomy… a launch vehicle which wouldn’t be adequately funded—or cost lowered—without the launch demand provided by megaconstellations.)

Is there any language that requires NSF to make a good faith effort to reach a mutually agreeable solution? Because otherwise I don't see any incentive for them to agree to any new satellites at all; they can stonewall indefinitely, at the expense of people who need internet.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #606 on: 04/05/2023 08:19 pm »
NSF is a federal agency and there are a bunch of paths that both the President and Congress have to keep them from abusing this sort of thing. I actually think NSF has been fairly productive in their interactions with SpaceX overall, more than I can say for much of Twitter.

EDIT: I actually wonder if NSF should be given some role in space based telescopes so they can see some of the benefits and not just drawbacks from vastly increased commercial space activity.
« Last Edit: 04/05/2023 08:27 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline OceanCat

« Reply #607 on: 04/19/2023 10:19 am »
The newly created Space Bureau accepted SpaceX's application to provide direct-to-cell service and opened docket 23-135 for the discussion. Hopefully the new bureau works faster than the International Bureau.
« Last Edit: 04/19/2023 10:21 am by OceanCat »

Offline snotis

« Reply #608 on: 05/10/2023 07:15 pm »
SES-MOD-20211216-01909 is now granted - effective date: 04/28/2023

Summary: SpaceX is now allowed to increase the duty cycle of the second generation Starlink Dishes (UT-2) from 10.3% to 17.5%.

Public notice (SES02564) of grant of authority: https://fcc.report/IBFS/Public-Notices/22025119.pdf

SES-MOD-20211216-01909
license authorizing operation of next-generation end-user earth stations (“UTs”) for use at fixed locations. In support of that application, SpaceX Services provided an analysis of the non-ionizing radiation levels for its UTs in compliance with the methods described in FCC Office of Engineering and Technology Bulletin Number 65 (Edition 97-01) (“Bulletin 65”) as adjusted to account for an updated IEEE standard that Bulletin 65 had relied upon in part.2 Those calculations demonstrated that the UTs will not result in exposure levels exceeding the applicable radiation hazard limits so long as they observe a maximum transmit duty cycle of 10.3 percent.

Bulletin 65 states that it “is not intended to establish mandatory procedures, and other methods and procedures may be acceptable if based on sound engineering.” Moreover, the bulletin recognizes that “n some cases, . . . measurements or a more detailed analysis may be required.” In this case, a fundamental assumption of the IEEE analysis may not apply to the flat planar nature of the SpaceX Services UT.6 Accordingly, SpaceX Services has undertaken to directly measure power density emitted in the near field region—rather than calculate predicted values—to determine whether the UT would comply with the Commission’s radiation limits at a higher duty cycle. As demonstrated below, these measurements show that the UT will comply so long as it observes a maximum transmit duty cycle of 17.5 percent. Accordingly, SpaceX Services requests that its authorization be modified to allow operations up to that duty cycle.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #609 on: 05/19/2023 10:24 pm »
They made filings for several E-band gateways yesterday

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #610 on: 05/20/2023 03:19 pm »

And five more, that's about 10 in two days

Offline virtuallynathan

« Reply #611 on: 05/21/2023 01:17 pm »

Debeque, CO (First sites in the state)
Kiowa, CO
Sunset, TX
Corpus, Christie, TX
Hillsboro, TX (existing 8x Ka site)
Phoenix, AZ (Flexential Datacenter)
Mt. Ayr, IN (exiting 8x Ka site)
Des Moines, NM (Recently also filed for 40x Ka)
Kenansville, FL (existing 8x Ka site)
Inman, KS (existing 8x Ka site)
Salem, OR
« Last Edit: 05/24/2023 05:55 pm by virtuallynathan »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #612 on: 05/24/2023 04:49 pm »

And about a dozen more yesterday

Offline virtuallynathan

« Reply #613 on: 05/24/2023 05:54 pm »

And about a dozen more yesterday

Piscataway, NJ (first in the state, Digital Fortress DC)
Pine Valley, CA
Chico, CA
Niland, CA
Cal-Nev-Air, NV
Tulake/Tionesta, CA (existing 8x Ka site)
New Braunfels, TX (existing 8x Ka site)
Richardson, TX (existing 8x Ka site)
Olympia, WA (existing 8x Ka site)
Bandon/Charleston, OR (existing 8x Ka site)
Debeque, CO (existing E-site, +40 Ka)
« Last Edit: 05/24/2023 05:55 pm by virtuallynathan »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10226
« Reply #614 on: 05/29/2023 03:15 pm »
Congrats to Nathan and best wishes!

The newly created Space Bureau accepted SpaceX's application to provide direct-to-cell service and opened docket 23-135 for the discussion. Hopefully the new bureau works faster than the International Bureau.

This is funny because AT&T and ASTS filed an opposition to SpaceX's/T-Mobile's direct-to-cell application based heavily on internal turf-war procedural aspects of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau over the Space Bureau.

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/1051863295121/1

Offline OceanCat

« Reply #615 on: 08/24/2023 01:14 am »
The FCC approved Blanket License for Ka-band Gateway Earth Stations application. The license is attached below. Absolutely no objections were filed by competitors and 5G haters.

The application does not cover E-band so we should still see where the majority of Starlink ground stations are built in the US.

Offline OceanCat

« Reply #616 on: 09/01/2023 08:56 pm »
1279-EX-CN-2023

Space Exploration Holdings, LLC (“SpaceX”) has a pending application for regular authority to operate a
satellite-based direct-to-cellular system to provide Supplemental Coverage from Space, which will bring
ubiquitous connectivity to millions of American consumers in previously unserved and underserved regions
and during emergencies.

In this experimental license application, SpaceX requests authority for limited testing of radio-frequency
equipment on Long Term Evolution (“LTE”) Bands 2, 4, and 7 at its research labs in Sunnyvale, CA and
Redmond, WA. The testing will occur in isolated indoors environments, comply with 3GPP specifications
for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access (“WCDMA”), operate with a limited power (i.e., 250 mW)
on a limited bandwidth up to 3.8 MHz, and transmit infrequently. These tests will enable SpaceX to test
and refine its SCS capabilities.

List below transmitting equipment to be installed (if experimental, so state) if additional rows are required, please submit equipment list as an exhibit :

Manufacturer: SpaceX   
Model Number: FHB-1000
No. Of Units: 3
Experimental: Yes

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #617 on: 09/30/2023 05:39 pm »
SAT-STA-20230929-00239
Space Exploration Holdings, LLC (“SpaceX”), pursuant to Section 25.120 of the Commission’s rules, hereby requests Special Temporary Authority (“STA”) for sixty (60) days beginning December 1, 2023 to launch and test its non-geostationary orbit (“NGSO”) second generation (“Gen2”) satellites1 with direct-to-cellular communications payloads to connect unmodified cellular phones directly to SpaceX Gen2 satellites, subject to the conditions set forth in the Gen2 Order granting SpaceX authority to launch and operate 7,500 satellites. This STA is necessary as the Commission continues to process SpaceX’s application to enable supplemental coverage from space (“SCS”) for consumers on a permanent basis2 and would permit SpaceX to timely launch its first tranche of direct-to-cellular-enabled satellites in December 2023.

Offline OceanCat

« Reply #618 on: 10/04/2023 01:48 am »
SpaceX withdrew the application in the previous post (SAT-STA-20230929-00239 to launch and test its satellites with direct-to-cellular communications payloads).
« Last Edit: 10/04/2023 01:49 am by OceanCat »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #619 on: 10/04/2023 01:55 am »
SpaceX withdrew the application in the previous post (SAT-STA-20230929-00239 to launch and test its satellites with direct-to-cellular communications payloads).

Refiled SAT-STA-20231002-00240

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography