Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v. 1.1 - Jason 3 - Vandenberg - Launch Viewing  (Read 74457 times)

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
Sudden Peak and the access road will be blocked by the sheriff since this area fall under "Clear Zone" as I am told since the flight path goes south.

Would the access road be the S. Miguelito Rd you can see on the Google maps? I am going down on Saturday and I would like to scout out all these places.

I might considering going up to Santa Ynez Peak w/ my 4x4 truck (1.5 hrs from Lompoc and climbed 4,300'

I'll definitely go up to S. Ynez peak on Saturday to have a look. I hope to be able to report back on this thread. I will have to try to connect to this website with a cell-phone to see if it's usable.

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 704
  • Likes Given: 454
Scouting report on using SJC -> LAX flight as viewing location:  :D

If you can time it just right and they don't divert flights too much during the launch, you can probably see the whole flight.

Attached: photos of a cloud-covered rocket and a cloud-covered barge.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Here is a google maps link with annotated viewing spots, for those who need directions:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zG69-052IIEA.kmxhnoSqMjio

(source, with additional viewing tips: https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/415ppz/tips_on_viewing_sundays_launch_from_vafb/ )

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
Thanks Lars-J - I was just uploading my waypoints to the topographic GPS. I will complement my research with the data found at your links.

Edit - also, the ham radio repeater info is most interesting
« Last Edit: 01/16/2016 04:48 am by manoweb »

Offline Smallbeck

• Seattle, WA
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 4
We are flying down from Seattle tonight and will be at W Ocean Ave for the attempt. 

Can someone recommend a nearby restaurant/bar to watch the football game?  Giving up most of the first half for but hoping to catch the rest after the launch.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2016 04:02 pm by Smallbeck »

Offline Jim_LAX

• California
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 428
I'm not familiar with Lompoc, but I can certainly recommend Pea Soup Andersen's in Buellton, California
US 101 and State Route 246.  Excellent food, they cater to travelers.
"I don't go along with going to the Moon first in order to build a launch pad to go to Mars.  We should go to Mars from Earth orbit."

Offline spacejunkey

• Lompoc, CA
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
We are flying down from Seattle tonight and will be at W Ocean Ave for the attempt. 

Can someone recommend a nearby restaurant/bar to watch the football game?  Giving up most of the first half for but hoping to catch the rest after the launch.

Pizza Garden on H Street is a good place, lots of TV's, good pizza, and a wide selection of beer.

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
Today I went at Surf Beach and took some photos of the F9 from far away. Kind of hazy weather, I will see if I find the correct USB cable to download them to the computer...

Offline ArbitraryConstant

• Liked: 628
  • Likes Given: 311
Where? Based on comments I think I will try Ocean and Renwick...

Offline Bubbinski

Here's what it's looking like outside in Lompoc right now.  Given this is Ocean and Renwick still good or should I go to Providence Landing or someplace further north?
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 02:34 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online Chris Bergin

Clipped this from one of Philip's L2 videos (he's there for NSF for this launch) as I do love the "turn into SLC-4" and see F9 greeting you! :)

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Bubbinski

Here's a view from Ocean and Renwick right now.
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 03:17 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
Here's a view from Ocean and Renwick right now.

Looks like it will be one of those days where the distance gets a bit brighter, followed in a bit by a low rumble that grows in intensity until it fades out.

On days like this, remember that one of the best things about going to see a rocket launch is meeting people that went out of their way to go see a rocket launch.

Even with the obstructed view, I'm wishing I was out there in person...

Offline Jim_LAX

• California
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 428
Yup.  More than a hundred people here today, but chance of SEEING the launch seams slim.  Hello Manoweb, nice to meet you in person!
"I don't go along with going to the Moon first in order to build a launch pad to go to Mars.  We should go to Mars from Earth orbit."

Offline Bubbinski

Less than 1 hour before launch, here's the latest look
« Last Edit: 01/17/2016 04:47 pm by Bubbinski »

Near ocean and renwick!

Saw it through the clouds!

Offline pericynthion

• GNC / Comms Engineer
  • Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 167
Had a good view from my VariEze at 6500ft. I'll post video when I get to a decent internet connection.

Offline Bubbinski

Heard quite a roar though I couldn't see the glow. If I got it it would be on my GoPro, will process it later.

Offline Smoores

• Thousand Oaks, Ca
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello everyone! I've been a fan of the forum here for a while, but haven't had much to contribute, so I've been a guest here for a while. This is truly a treasure trove of rocket knowledge. I really wanted to go to this launch, but I wasn't feeling great last night. But I made a last second decision and decided to try to see my first rocket launch today. I left Thousand Oaks (120 miles away) at 8:50 this morning, and somehow managed to get there as they were going over the -10 minute Launch status test. In fact Mr. Bubbinski, I think I must have been just a couple cars from you, judging by your pics. Sadly I can't say I saw it either. I was able to hear it very clearly for around 6 minutes. To be honest, I think if I had stayed back at Thousand Oaks, or found a good vantage point in the mountains around me, I think I could have caught a glimpse of the the first stage re-ignition.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography