Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 1  (Read 302733 times)

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Is this an Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) or is it a Transporter Erector (TE) with a launcher and the stage on top of it? And I agree with the non L2 picture share request.

Thanks for agreeing with me on the picture share request. I think everyone should be able to see at least just ONE photo, PLEASSSE? :D

Online Chris Bergin

Is this an Transporter Erector Launcher (TEL) or is it a Transporter Erector (TE) with a launcher and the stage on top of it? And I agree with the non L2 picture share request.

Thanks for agreeing with me on the picture share request. I think everyone should be able to see at least just ONE photo, PLEASSSE? :D

Here's one from L2 then, especially as people started getting carried away by asking if a stage was on it! ;) It's unpainted and as you've seen in early photos, but cool that it's at the pad and we can see the rails and such - so I intend to write an article over the weekend (covering the pad work as we saw those rails arrive last year), as such I'll include more photos and info in that obviously :)
« Last Edit: 11/06/2015 06:07 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
I was referring to the design and function of the TE. Is it the same as the current design. So Transport from the hangar to the pad; Erect the rocket to the vertical position and holding the Launch umbilicals. Or did they split the system. Into a Transporter Erector, and the hold down bottom plate with a hinge-able boom that holds the launch umbilicals (power, data and fueling lines).

Offline shuttlefan

Here's one from L2 then, especially as people started getting carried away by asking if a stage was on it! ;) It's unpainted and as you've seen in early photos, but cool that it's at the pad and we can see the rails and such - so I intend to write an article over the weekend (covering the pad work as we saw those rails arrive last year), as such I'll include more photos and info in that obviously :)

Thank-you so much Chris! Much appreciated and looking very foreward to the article! :)

Does this STAY at the pad?
« Last Edit: 11/06/2015 11:43 pm by shuttlefan »

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
It looks like they can push/pull the Strongback from a point UNDER the upper part, i.e. with the tractor towing the road-wheel unit.  If this works, then they don't have to do the switcharound that they do at LC-40, where they pull the thing out, then push it to the pad.  It's just a little quicker and simpler.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline pospa

• Pardubice, CZ
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 800
New T/E has been erected on the pad. http://imgur.com/a/NSz8S
« Last Edit: 11/07/2015 09:20 pm by pospa »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Cool! It really does look very faithful to the renders/animation that SpaceX released a while back.  :)

And was the cladding/structure cover plates  there in the earlier pictures, or was it just added in the last week or two?

Offline enzo

• USA
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 884
New T/E has been erected on the pad.
I like that SpaceX is patriotic, despite being a private company with global ambitions and no obligation to fly/display flags everyplace. Makes me proud.

Offline shuttlefan

Is this the strongback that stays on the pad permanently?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Is this the strongback that stays on the pad permanently?

No, it does not stay on the pad permanently. None of the SpaceX strongbacks at the various pads do.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
I like that SpaceX is patriotic, despite being a private company with global ambitions and no obligation to fly/display flags everyplace. Makes me proud.

Quote from: Elon Musk
I’m nauseatingly pro-American. It is where great things are possible.

People who choose to become Americans usually appreciate what America stands for far more deeply than most natural-born citizens.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronaut delivery vehicle for 39A. Source: Stephen C. Smith Twitter
« Last Edit: 11/08/2015 03:41 pm by mr. mark »

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
Anyone have any idea where 39A astronauts will don their spacesuits and do preflight suit checkouts?

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronaut delivery vehicle for 39A. Source: Stephen C. Smith Twitter

That's a neat next-generation "Astrovan".
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428

I doubt it.  There are 3 of those vehicles at the Cape.  With the windows, more like for tours and customers.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
I hope Jim's right.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115

I doubt it.  There are 3 of those vehicles at the Cape.  With the windows, more like for tours and customers.
the original tweet was meant to be taken tongue in cheek:
"Sneak peek at new @SpaceX commercial crew vehicle parked outside Pad 39A. :-)"
https://twitter.com/SpaceKSCBlog/status/663388175109353472

The word "Astronaut" does not appear.

This is why you should ALWAYS provide a link to the original source whenever possible.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline spacekscblog

• Liked: 32
The passenger van was meant as a joke.  They use it for transporting guests.

My latest photos of Pad 39A renovations just went online:

http://spaceksc.blogspot.com/2015/11/going-up-part-9.html

The transporter erector went vertical Saturday afternoon, and had the American flag flying from its apex.  But today it was back to horizontal, although still on the pad.

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797

We all know that van isn't "bad ass" enough for SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronauts. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3

We all know that van isn't "bad ass" enough for SpaceX Commercial Crew Astronauts.

I mean the crew transport vehicle is pretty obvious already: the falcon wing doors on the Tesla Model X are perfect for letting a suited astronaut into and out of the vehicle easily and quickly, and there is plenty of space left over for the flight surgeons and whoever else the NSA entourage consists of.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography