Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Zuma : January 7/8, 2018, CCAFS : DISCUSSION  (Read 786465 times)

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: SpaceX F9 : Zuma : January 7/8, 2018, CCAFS : DISCUSSION
« Reply #360 on: 11/19/2017 08:56 pm »
If they need to replace the fairing they will do in an appropriate processing facility. In case of this payload, it will not be done by SpaceX but by a contractor employing people with required security clearances.

Why wouldn't it be done by SpaceX employees with required security clearances?

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 758
« Reply #361 on: 11/19/2017 09:21 pm »
If they need to replace the fairing they will do in an appropriate processing facility. In case of this payload, it will not be done by SpaceX but by a contractor employing people with required security clearances.

Why wouldn't it be done by SpaceX employees with required security clearances?

Sure, it could be done by SpaceX people with proper clearances. I had an impression that someone reported that SpaceX was not involved in the pre-integration processing of this payload but can't find it anymore. My main point was that there is no way they are going to do a fairing swap in the HIF.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #362 on: 11/20/2017 12:27 am »

Sure, it could be done by SpaceX people with proper clearances. I had an impression that someone reported that SpaceX was not involved in the pre-integration processing of this payload but can't find it anymore. My main point was that there is no way they are going to do a fairing swap in the HIF.

Spacex wouldn't  be involved with pre-integration processing.  Encapsulation is part of the integration process and would only be done by Spacex.  The only time LV personnel are not involved in encapsulation is when the LV does not provide the fairing like in the case of Hexagon
« Last Edit: 11/20/2017 12:28 am by Jim »

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #363 on: 11/20/2017 01:50 am »

edit/gongora:  This picture is for Hexagon if you hadn't guessed already.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2017 02:30 am by gongora »

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 758
« Reply #364 on: 11/20/2017 02:55 am »

Spacex wouldn't  be involved with pre-integration processing.  Encapsulation is part of the integration process and would only be done by Spacex.  The only time LV personnel are not involved in encapsulation is when the LV does not provide the fairing like in the case of Hexagon

Thanks for claryfying this. So, SpaceX has to have properly cleared people able to see a highly classified payload to integrate it with the payload adaptor and fairing and if needed they would just move it to their pyload processing facility to do a fairing swap?
« Last Edit: 11/20/2017 02:56 am by tleski »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #365 on: 11/20/2017 03:14 am »
Thanks for claryfying this. So, SpaceX has to have properly cleared people able to see a highly classified payload to integrate it with the payload adaptor and fairing and if needed they would just move it to their pyload processing facility to do a fairing swap?

They would probably move it to the facility where the payload was processed, which in the case of classified payloads is probably not the SpaceX PPF.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2017 03:14 am by gongora »

Offline psionedge

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #366 on: 11/20/2017 05:12 am »
I'm thinking that if Zuma does not launch by November 30th, the payload might either be sent to the scrapyard, or have its parts reused for other satellites.
That stirkes me as highly implausible. Why would a very expensive bird be scrapped? Much more likely that SpaceX pays a lot of penalty and gets bad PR. If the mission was actually that time sensitive I could see repurposing.
I'd guess NG is pushing for Nov 30 to meet some contractual delivery date. This is probably what was meant when it was previously discussed the customer was intent on meeting some revenue milestone.

Offline Chris Bergin

I agree. I think most sats have milestones, but if they don't launch by the end of the month, they won't go binning the satellite! ;D They'll just launch in a realigned period. Let's hope it doesn't come to that as Falcon Heavy going to be grumbling about this in the HIF.

Anyway, no update as of yet.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #368 on: 11/20/2017 11:40 am »
If the fairing is swapped, I wonder if SpaceX will go through another hotfire test.  In theory, nothing that has been changed is related to test, but it will have been longer than usual between the hotfire and the launch.

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #369 on: 11/20/2017 12:18 pm »
Could they switch Zuma to SLC-40 so they can keep 39-A modifications for Falcon Heavy on schedule?

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #370 on: 11/20/2017 01:00 pm »
Could they switch Zuma to SLC-40 so they can keep 39-A modifications for Falcon Heavy on schedule?

Keeping FH on schedule is not the concern when it comes to launching ZUMA. The only way a swap would make sense was if they could launch it faster from LC40. Given that the pad is not the problem here, I cant see how that would happen though.

Offline MarekCyzio

If the fairing is swapped, I wonder if SpaceX will go through another hotfire test.  In theory, nothing that has been changed is related to test, but it will have been longer than usual between the hotfire and the launch.

Hotfire is done without payload - why would they need to do another hotfire?

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #372 on: 11/20/2017 01:09 pm »

Hotfire is done without payload - why would they need to do another hotfire?

I think he's speaking about the timeline between test and launch, which is usually a few days. But I don't think they'd need to fire up the booster again unless they did something like change out the engines....

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #373 on: 11/20/2017 01:16 pm »
I'd guess NG is pushing for Nov 30 to meet some contractual delivery date. This is probably what was meant when it was previously discussed the customer was intent on meeting some revenue milestone.
NG financial Quarter/Year end is December 31st...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #374 on: 11/20/2017 03:11 pm »

Yes

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #375 on: 11/20/2017 03:27 pm »
Occam's razor says that the problem is with delamination or voids in the composite fairing.  That's the most common problem with composite structures.  It would have to be in some place or under some condition that it is not caught by the usual NDE tests done during manufacturing, of course, but there are lots of ways for Murphy to offer surprises.

With the delay lasting this long, I expect that we'll see a fairing swap, or at least a return to the processing facility to de-encapsulate. In fact, I'm a bit surprised this hasn't already happened. The absence of road closure notices around LC-39A is the best reason to assume I'm totally off base with my speculation.

The scramble would be because they don't have another fairing ready to "swap in". Fairings are semi-custom, with customer-specified ports and other features (as I remember Jim pointing out once previously).  So you can't just take a fairing from mission N+1 and swap it in.  They are probably scrambling to evaluate "fixes" to the voids (reinforcement structures? I don't know much about composite manufacturing) as well as a hurry-up process to get a new custom fairing built or a semi-built fairing modified appropriately for Zuma.  But curing composites can't really be sped up, so there's a limit to how fast this can be done.
« Last Edit: 11/20/2017 03:29 pm by cscott »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72406
« Reply #376 on: 11/20/2017 03:41 pm »
Are there other examples of launch campaign PLF issues that have delayed launch?

Are there other launches that have been delayed to repair or modify a suspect PLF?

Are there other launches that have been delayed to remove and replace a PLF?
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #377 on: 11/20/2017 03:58 pm »
Occam's razor says that the problem is with delamination or voids in the composite fairing.  That's the most common problem with composite structures.  It would have to be in some place or under some condition that it is not caught by the usual NDE tests done during manufacturing, of course, but there are lots of ways for Murphy to offer surprises.

The phrasing used from memory also did not seem to exclude tests on recovered fairing, and the timing might almost be right for a teardown of the most recent recovered fairing to reveal stuff.

Offline MarekCyzio

The phrasing used from memory also did not seem to exclude tests on recovered fairing, and the timing might almost be right for a teardown of the most recent recovered fairing to reveal stuff.

It’s probably a coincidence but recovered fairing disappeared recently from SpaceX lawn next to Cape Canaveral facility (former Spacehab).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RDMM2081

• Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 595
« Reply #379 on: 11/20/2017 05:39 pm »

I think this case would be extremely interesting as it would be one of the first cases of "overinformation" from any part of a recovery process that has been used to pre-emptively reduce risk for a mission.

If the mission slips, I don't know whether NG should be happy or upset?  On one hand, the window slipped right, which is almost never good, but on the other hand, if the mission assurance indicates better odds of success by waiting, that's kind of a win, since they seem to be in favor of holding for further tests on the fairing (if not the ones requesting the hold in the first place).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography