Author Topic: SpaceX CRS-6/SpX-6 Landing Bingo  (Read 334224 times)

Offline mtakala24

Re: SpaceX CRS-6/SpX-6 Landing Bingo
« Reply #820 on: 04/19/2015 08:12 pm »
Any news on how this will be judged? Are we waiting for better footage?

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #821 on: 04/19/2015 08:19 pm »

Landing bingo without a landing?

I hereby deem anyone who thinks this was a landing disqualified from being a pilot.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #822 on: 04/19/2015 10:01 pm »
We've got an insider at SpaceX who has promised to give us a bingo square after a thorough analysis (including non-public footage, presumably, if there is still any that hasn't been leaked).  So we're waiting on him.

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561
« Reply #823 on: 04/19/2015 10:40 pm »
We've got an insider at SpaceX who has promised to give us a bingo square after a thorough analysis (including non-public footage, presumably, if there is still any that hasn't been leaked).  So we're waiting on him.
It is certain there are tons of unreleased footage. Barge has more than one camera, and I am sure folks from support ships were filming it too, of course if they were able to. Also a lot of pictures of barge deck surely was taken before and after removing derbis.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #824 on: 04/19/2015 10:47 pm »

I still see Helodriver as the final judge of whether this was a landing (failed one at that...) in which case it will be center of the engines as per rules. If not landing (=crash), then it should be "square in the center of the greatest visible damage or with the largest wreckage on it when returning to port" as per the rules. My emphasis on the 'or' -word.

This is in my mind regardless of what SpaceX insider provides, as the above leaves some leeway. Unless Helodriver officially gives the authority to the insider, which would be OK to me.

Have I missed some posts? gotta re-read the last few pages tomorrow...

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #825 on: 04/19/2015 11:44 pm »

Landing bingo without a landing?

I hereby deem anyone who thinks this was a landing disqualified from being a pilot.

Musk says it was a hard landing what's that make him?  ;D

See the spin machine can bite when applied :-X
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline jbrian31

• New Mexico
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #826 on: 04/20/2015 05:17 am »
At last we have the video footage from the barge.  Found it on reddit.

https://vid.me/i6o5

I'll let all you expert figure this one out.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #827 on: 04/20/2015 05:41 am »
At last we have the video footage from the barge.  Found it on reddit.

https://vid.me/i6o5

I'll let all you expert figure this one out.
Yes.  It's been posted here as well.  If you go back a page or two, you'll see a bit of back and forth on the analysis of that video in conjunction with the still frames posted by Elon, the pictures of the returned barge in Jaxport, and the chase plane video footage.

edit: Welcome to the forum!  I've been amazed by how many members have had their first post in this thread.  It's awesome.  If records are kept of this sort of thing, I would imagine this thread holds the title by a large margin.  Kudos, again, Helodriver on an excellent idea.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2015 05:43 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #828 on: 04/23/2015 04:36 pm »
Can we post the main contenders for the winning square? I've got a SpaceX manager on speed dial (Skype ;) ) to pick the winner.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #829 on: 04/23/2015 04:55 pm »
Can we post the main contenders for the winning square? I've got a SpaceX manager on speed dial (Skype ;) ) to pick the winner.

I would hope that they would have measurements from the barge. if they have an estimate of how far off center it was and how close to the rail. then we could do the math from there.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #830 on: 04/23/2015 08:16 pm »
So... the moment has arrived!

After being started on January 13 2015, generating over 80,000 thread views and 829 responses, there is a winner for NSF SpaceX ASDS DSCOVR CRS-6 Landing Bingo!

Careful photogrammetric analysis of publicly released images, backed up by a knowledgeable SpaceX insider has yielded not one, but TWO winners!

The rules of the game stated that in the event of an unsuccessful landing the winner would be square at the center of the greatest visible damage or with largest piece on debris left on deck. Because of the landing outcome, leaving both a discernible location of touchdown damage and a large piece of debris on deck Chris and I and our SpaceXer have decided to award a first and a second prize. So without further ado..

Second Prize goes to the square closest to the center of mass of the largest piece of debris, the landing leg across the deck, which is determined as L-28 picked by NSF user measdows.st on January 18th at 3:42 PM. Chris has graciously offered a second prize of a 6 month L2 membership, and I will send some SpaceX swag of dubious value ;).

First Prize goes to the square located at the center of the blast damage and touchdown point of the center engine which is "northwest" of the center of the X. That square is E-28 picked by NSF user tinorex on January 14th at 6:52PM. First prize is a full year of L2 membership a donated LEGO set, and some unique but still of dubious value SpaceX swag from myself.

Winners please PM myself and Chris so we can send off your prizes post haste!

Thanks to all who participated and contributed countless hours of fun, speculation, and analysis. A special thanks to DanielW for building the thread scraper and interactive square pick diagram which made this game ever so much more user and admin friendly! Keep that code handy Dan, we'll be needing it again soon for CRS-7 which will open sometime after the Turkmensat launch campaign!

Congrats to the winners and thanks to all players for a great time!
« Last Edit: 04/23/2015 08:20 pm by Helodriver »

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #831 on: 04/23/2015 09:10 pm »
Congratulations to the winners. May the cherry picker be with you. I shall never try to jinx it again.

Ohh and thanx for the nice Landing Bingo Helodriver, It was loads of fun! Also, thx to SpaceX insider for the information and Chris for the prices. :)

Edi 2: ohh forgot about the Lar-prices! Damn.. sorry.. thx Lar! :)
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 05:57 am by Semmel »

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #832 on: 04/23/2015 09:19 pm »
Are we going to start a new thread? Do we all get to pick new squares?
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #833 on: 04/23/2015 09:57 pm »
Thanks again Helo for having the creativity to come up with this wonderfully fun game. Was an awesome thing to do. ;3
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Offline DanielW

• L-22
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #834 on: 04/23/2015 10:16 pm »
Yay! A winner or two! I suppose I shall now have to enable displaying historical games and some way to indicate the winning squares. I will at least save the data files some place safe before pointing the scraper at whatever new thread appears.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #835 on: 04/23/2015 10:28 pm »
Congratulations to our winners!

Can measdows.st and tinorex please PM me as well? I need your mailing addresses. (I think I can scrape up two prizes)

I hope to do this again next landing and I would be happy to have my same square again even though it wasn't that great a pick
« Last Edit: 04/23/2015 10:29 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
« Reply #836 on: 04/23/2015 11:16 pm »
Congrats!

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #837 on: 04/23/2015 11:18 pm »
As per custom, the thread is now open to one congratulatory post by each member  :)
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #838 on: 04/24/2015 01:28 am »
This has actually been a really fun thread.  I don't think anyone was participating because there were prizes (though the prizes are nice) -- it was really a way for us to feel personally, viscerally involved in the recovery/landing attempts.

I am looking forward to future landing bingo threads.  I also think that people are now going to be haunting the forum, waiting for each new landing bingo thread to pop up so they can get in the early votes.

And here Chris thought he had seen high site volume lately...!  We ain't seen nuthin' yet... ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #839 on: 04/24/2015 02:02 am »
I just thought of something more bingo-ish for next time. each person pics a square AND a degree of orientation. this would cut back on the first come first serve since each point would have an additional 360 options. or maybe in 5 degree increments so like 72 choices for each square. we'd need to pick which leg is the decider.

so for example a choice would read like

L-22 90 degrees

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography