Author Topic: RS EVA VKD-60 - Workpost transfer, MMOD shielding - Aug 9 (Prokopyev, Petelin)  (Read 12308 times)

Offline Yellowstone10

A view inside the open airlock hatch of Poisk as the cosmonauts retrieve crew lock bags - you can see the metal shrouds from the radio block that was installed on VKD-59, which will be jettisoned towards the end of this spacealk.

Offline Yellowstone10

Tethererd to the other Strela translation ring, to head down to Nauka.

Offline Yellowstone10

Translating down Nauka - got a good view of one of the main thrusters (now deactivated) as they passed by.

Offline Yellowstone10

One of the cosmonauts is cutting a wire tie near the anchor point where they'll board the Portable Work Platform - no helmetcam, though, so I'm not quite sure where that is. Seems to be on the foot restraints of the PRM?

Edit - so there actually is a helmetcam view on the "Live Video from the International Space Station" feed, but it's very, very pixelated. Wonder if that's a function of poor wifi coverage down at the nadir end of Nauka?
« Last Edit: 08/09/2023 06:46 pm by Yellowstone10 »

Offline Yellowstone10

They're waiting until after an upcoming eclipse to have Prokopyev board the platform, presumably for more even lighting. In the meanwhile, here's Prokopyev's view of the foot restraints, and Petelin's view of Prokopyev.

Ooh, and another neat view from Prokopyev looking back up at the station.

Offline Yellowstone10

Orbital night now, but they've got some ratty comms and are going to wait about another 10 minutes to resume with the planned work.

Offline Yellowstone10

Prokopyev is now securing tethers to the work platform and will be stepping into the foot restraint shortly.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3183
  • Likes Given: 1093
TDRS-8 has been in constant contact with Canberra on S Band, apparently providing at least near continuous voice comms. Interesting because at least one recent US EVA had both Ku and S band outages during TDRS-Z passes requiring an onboard US crew member to assume EVA support responsibilities.  How does a Russian EVA get better US comm network support?
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Yellowstone10

Getting feet installed, with a little bit of difficulty - it occurs to me that the Russian cosmonauts don't have quite as much practice entering APFRs as their USOS counterparts.

Edit - the issue was that the heel stops hadn't been moved back far enough before Prokopyev stepped in. He got out, reset them - seems to be working now.
« Last Edit: 08/09/2023 07:32 pm by Yellowstone10 »

Offline Yellowstone10

Successfully in the foot restraint. It's interesting to note that there's a physical stop for the ERA to rest against while a spacewalking astronaut boards the portable work platform - reduces the play in the system, I assume.

Wider-angle views of the cosmonauts as we enter an orbital daytime.

Offline Yellowstone10

Petelin's POV as the sun comes up. About 5 minutes until arm movement starts.

Offline Yellowstone10

Arm movement is underway, and it is very slow.

Offline Yellowstone10

About 1 meter of motion so far.

Offline Yellowstone10

Translating continues...
« Last Edit: 08/09/2023 07:57 pm by Yellowstone10 »

Offline Yellowstone10

Continuing...

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4646
  • Likes Given: 768
Yep, there's the third MMOD panel. I'd be interested to see the risk-mitigation math that calls for adding such a small piece of shielding!
The dual purpose thermal and mmod shielding had to be omitted to attached and fly the radiator and the SrK Airlock to provide the necessary mating interface and orbiter payload bay safety clearances with Nauka components stowed in their launch configuration. The panels have been waiting with Rassvet since the module arrived on station. The radiator and SrK provides the MMOD and thermal protection while they were stowed on Rassvet.
« Last Edit: 08/09/2023 08:04 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline Yellowstone10

Coming back in to "dock" at the ingress / egress point. Total movement took a little less than 30 minutes, vs. 40 minutes originally mentioned.

Offline Yellowstone10

Prokopyev is back out of the portable work station, and the spacewalkers will start heading back up towards Poisk.

The radiator and SrK provides the MMOD and thermal protection while they were stowed on Rassvet.

What I was more curious about was the size - the new MMOD shield covers a much smaller area than the radiator did.

Offline Yellowstone10

Translating along Nauka.

Does anyone happen to know - I'd assume the PRM would get in the way for certain ERA operations if it were left attached. Can it be stored back in that spot on Rassvet when it's not being used, or does it go somewhere on Nauka?

Offline Yellowstone10

Crew is back at Poisk. Prokopyev is stowing the crew lock bag and picking up the bundle with the shrouds that will be jettisoned.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography