Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Next
Why not Terran (specifically vs ABL - Firefly's prior launch attempt I can see making them more likely)?
Missions To The Moon (HSF) / Re: Artemis 1 Discussion Thread
« Last post by whitelancer64 on Today at 05:56 pm »

Last month NASA posted:

Quote from: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/artemis-i-mission-availability
November 12 Ė November 27 (preliminary)

12 launch opportunities

No launch availability on November 20, 21, and 26

December 9 Ė December 23 (preliminary)

11 launch opportunities

No launch availability on December 10, 14, 18, and 23

Also, any windows prior to 11/22 are night launches.  NASA may be leaning toward a daytime launch, especially for the maiden flight.

A daytime launch is desirable, but not required by NASA. They DO require that Orion splash down in daylight.
Rocket Lab / Re: Rocket Lab Neutron rocket - Discussion
« Last post by matthewkantar on Today at 05:55 pm »
Awkward at the least that RL focused on a few things that would allow them to out-compete the market leader, and is now walking them back one by one.
It could mean a bunch of other things, like readiness of the Starlink direct laser comms system or the vacuum stability of the interior, etc.
« Last post by Robotbeat on Today at 05:50 pm »
... But helium isnít hazardous except as it displaces oxygen, and there are oxygen sensors all over the place, plus they can use mobile ones. ...

But how do you test for helium leaking into a cavity being purged with helium?
Ah, I see. You can do it by monitoring how much helium youíre putting in and how much comes out.

Difficult. Not purging the cavity with helium during leak testing would seem more likely.
Yup, but if you purge with, say, N2, you can get condensing (or freezing?) LN2 on places that get cold enough.

Itís a health and safety risk, and Iím getting very frustrated with this kind of reckless argument by some folk at HQ who ignore these concerns with the opposition class, short-stay diktats.

Basically, the plot of The Martian would go like this:

The bad news is I'm stranded on Mars. The good news is, I have tons of food and an excuse to watch the Lord of the Rings director's cut.

Written by Andy Weir
... But helium isnít hazardous except as it displaces oxygen, and there are oxygen sensors all over the place, plus they can use mobile ones. ...

Ah, I see. You can do it by monitoring how much helium youíre putting in and how much comes out.

Difficult. Not purging the cavity with helium during leak testing would seem more likely.
Any updates on CAPSTONE status?
Kennedy LC-39A:
NET October 3            Crew-5
NET last third of Oct  USSF-44  (no ASDS use)

Canaveral SLC-40:
September 30             Starlink 4-36
October 5/6                 Galaxy 33 and 34
October 14                  Eutelsat Hotbird 13F
NET ~October 20       Starlink 4-37
<something else circa October 30?>

Vandenberg SLC-4E:
early October?            Starlink 4-29
<another Starlink at the end of October?>
« Last post by Robotbeat on Today at 05:41 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Next
Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography