Author Topic: JSC image policy  (Read 1836 times)

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
JSC image policy
« on: 09/15/2006 01:27 PM »
If You look at the images released by KSC, You may note that there is a steady, continueous stream of electronic images coming out of the media archive website -- several thousand files in various resolutions each year.

And then -- for a contrast -- look at JSC. Although their image numbering system has five placeholders instead of four -- indicating much more images being produced each year--, only a fraction of what KSC is putting on the web is actually released electronically by JSC. Also think of in-flight images from shuttle missions. Only a few pages with eight images each are released every flight day in the HSF gallery maintained by JSC.

But that is not all. Log on to images.jsc.nasa.gov and You will see the worst ever collection of in-flight space images. Although they have a very nice user interface, the images themselves are of poorest quality. They are 640 x 480, look garbled and seem to have been scanned using a defective machine -- scan lines are missing here and there. And the image files contain the frame of the scanning machine. They have not been cropped. There's a funny note over there. It's been online for years now:

"There is currently a project underway to migrate some Press Release photos to NASA's Human Space Flight Web."

But nothing ever happens...

I would love to see images from past shuttle missions (pre-51L) like the way they are presented on the HSF web!

What's wrong with JSC PAO? Are they under-funded? Is it center policy? Something else?

Offline spaceshuttle

• Extreme Veteran
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Liked: 0
RE: JSC image policy
« Reply #1 on: 09/15/2006 01:42 PM »
nethegauner - 15/9/2006  8:14 AM

I would love to see images from past shuttle missions (pre-51L) like the way they are presented on the HSF web!

What's wrong with JSC PAO? Are they under-funded? Is it center policy? Something else?

what you said, i TOTALLY agree with! they also need to put some short, regular-speed videos of pre-sts-96 launches online too, and the video quality leaves a lot to be desired... the low-res high speed movies SUCK!
T-10...9...8...7...we're go for main engine start...4...3...2...1...0 and liftoff of Shuttle Daedalus as the National Aerospace System celebrates its 25th mission.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11163
  • Likes Given: 331
Re: JSC image policy
« Reply #2 on: 09/15/2006 01:54 PM »
It is easy to post existing electronic media.  It take $$$ to convert the old stuff.  Also do you include old documents being coverted to PDF's.  Don't expect much from pre digital days

Offline spacedreams

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: 09/15/2006 08:17 PM »
Also, as far as shuttle and ISS on-orbit imagery goes, any picture that gets posted oto the public has to go through a crew review approval process before it is released.  This is probably to avoid some of the oopsie pictures, like the ones of the rookie trying to contain the effects of zero-G. Funny but they don't give the same discretion to the MCC folks. If you are picking your nose or stuffing your face you can pretty much guarantee it will be out there for your grandma to download.

I'm not sure if the approval rule applies to both crew and hardware pictures but I know there are a heck of a lot more pictures, on orbit and ground, on the internal website compared to the public one.

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: 09/18/2006 07:22 AM »
Jim - 15/9/2006  3:41 PM
It take $$$ to convert the old stuff.  Also do you include old documents being coverted to PDF's.  Don't expect much from pre digital days
If I'd live in Houston, I'd volunteer and spend my weekends scanning old STS imagery...!

:)  :)  :)

You're probably right regarding Your "pre digital days" statement. Nonetheless, it is a sad thing -- all those wonderful images...!

:(  :(  :(

spacedreams - 15/9/2006  10:04 PM
Also, as far as shuttle and ISS on-orbit imagery goes, any picture that gets posted oto the public has to go through a crew review approval process before it is released.
You have a point there -- but all the stuff on images.jsc.nasa.gov was approved. It's just a question of generating new scans and post them, but Jim was probably right...

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • Klyde Morris dot com
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: 09/19/2006 02:15 AM »
I have the idea that perhaps the JSC historical images were scanned either by an intern who was allowed second rate equipment or on contract to a very low bidder. I've found many to be out of focus and poorly cropped. I do keep in mind, however, that tasks such as this probably have a lower budget than restroom cakes.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: 09/19/2006 03:25 AM »
I would do it for free, just let me keep copies of what I scan :)

Tags: