Author Topic: Interview with Danny Davis, CLV Upper Stage Project Manager  (Read 17604 times)

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 396
  • Likes Given: 14
For my second article on the site, I will be interviewing Danny Davis, the NASA MSFC Project Manager in charge of the Ares-I Upper Stage development.   The interview is scheduled for 1pm tomorrow, Saturday 25th August.

Obviously, I will be asking about the 8000lb overweight concerns on the US, but I would also like to include some questions from people here, so what questions do you have for him?

Ross.

Over to y' all...
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 152
Is there any chance that you will share with him your option?  If you do .. ask him for his inputs...

As PM, ask how he will reduce the risks on not providing a solution that meets the requirements?  

And when if, it comes to pass, that they say, no it cannot be done, without changes to his requirments.  What is the point that that needs to change...?

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 95
Has Stumpy been considered seriously, or was it just KSC proposing an idea that was preferencial to them?

Offline gladiator1332

• Mike Majeski
  • Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 4
I second Jamie Young's question. How serious is NASA taking Stumpy? And if there was a major change in the CLV, how would MSFC adapt?

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
What  considerations are being taken into account in the design of the second stage to give the CEV more time to escape in the event of a launch failure?

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1055
  • Likes Given: 1989
1): Anyone looked into giving the first stage extra Strap-ons, such as the Atlas V's Aerojet solids?

2): How seriously is a common bulkhead for the LOX/LH2 tanks been looked at?

3): How challenging would it be to squeeze 2x J-2X into the upper stage?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Lunar Dreamer

• Liked: 0
Q) We've heard very little about Mars, especially since the removal of Methane from the ESAS baseline. Is Methane completely out of the reckoning? Is there anything that is being looked at in terms of Mars in the current vehicle configuration for the moon sortie missions?

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 3472
  • Likes Given: 700
What, in his mind, is the long-pole of the tent, the toughest challenge, for this development effort?

- Ed Kyle

Offline Heg

• Regular
  • Poland
Hi everyone!

Would it be possible to proceed with 4-segment SRB first stage and extra strap-ons (like those MATTBLAK suggests)?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 43
If he is allowed to talk about it, is the US being thrown out due to overall demise of the Stick? If so, what are they looking at for the next incarnation of US design?  Will it remain roughly the same in regards to it current set of specs no matter what FSB they use?

Offline kraisee

• Expert
RE: Interview with Danny Davis, CLV Upper Stage Project Manager
« Reply #10 on: 08/26/2006 04:43 AM »
Thanks for those Q's guys.

I'll try to get as many in as I can tomorrow.   Not sure what Danny's schedule is like, but he's graciously given us his entire lunch break on Saturday.

I'll check back around 11am, and collect any more Q's you guys can suggest.

I managed to speak with him briefly this evening, and he did tell me that the Stick is actually fine, and is a definite GO.

He talked about some of the details, but we were not on the record so I won't post that information yet.   But rest assured, I intend to ask him to detail what's going on there on the record tomorrow.

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #11 on: 08/26/2006 02:52 PM »
kraisee - 25/8/2006  11:30 PM

I managed to speak with him briefly this evening, and he did tell me that the Stick is actually fine, and is a definite GO.

He talked about some of the details, but we were not on the record so I won't post that information yet.   But rest assured, I intend to ask him to detail what's going on there on the record tomorrow.

Ross.

Then ask him why the US is 7,000lbs over mass and ask him exactly where the reserve mass is for this issue. Also how do they expect the stick to even get off the pad with such as slow reacting TVC? Are they hoping wind shere doesn't exsist in 2010? Also, what purpose at all the $500m test flight will provide, seen as it's just a 4 seg booster with a dummy stage and nearly all the new areas of the US stage won't be tested on this.

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #12 on: 08/26/2006 05:26 PM »
Okay, Danny has had to reschedule the interview to Monday, so you've all got more time to come up with Q's.

Ross.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 482
Re: Interview with Danny Davis, CLV Upper Stage Project Manager
« Reply #13 on: 08/26/2006 05:48 PM »
Have they committed to any one type of thrust structure?

Can he provide details about any of the US instrumentation and guidance they want to use (not only what kind of hardware, but how sophisticated they want the software to be in terms of accuracy and updates per second)?

Since the idea is to automate the monitoring and control during the launch process and boost phases as much as possible (less people, more computers), how is that part of the design planning progressing?

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #14 on: 08/29/2006 02:27 AM »
I've really been looking forward to this interview.  Did it happen today?  Will there be any sneak peek on L2?

Offline kraisee

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: 08/29/2006 09:20 AM »
I finally managed to hook-up with Danny after 10pm this evening.   He was shattered from a long day, and because he returns to MSFC first thing in the morning, I suggested it would be better to scrub the face-to-face interview and switch to an e-mail/telephone interview this week, where we can spend some time discussing more finite details.

He did however stick around for a drink, and we chatted for about an hour, although it was not on-the-record.

He explained ALL of the issues we've heard about recently, in a great deal of detail.   I now *finally* understand what is really going on with the mass issue, and the TVC concerns and a bunch of other stuff too.

Danny's a very good personal friend of mine, so I'm even less inclined to discuss what was said off-the-record in that chat, but suffice to say this for now: "The Stick" is well and truly still alive.   And I dare say it is actually prospering.

The e-Interview should start tomorrow, and take most of the week.   I will go back over all of this on-the-record with him again, and all will be revealed.   I will post a teaser in L2 when I can, prior to the full article being posted, so watch this space...

Ross.
(hoping Ernesto doesn't whomp us too bad on Wednesday)
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Chris Bergin

September will be a large amount of ESAS related news, with the CEV decision coming on Aug 31 - although we know who that is now. ARES I-1 extra info and CLV DAC updates, plus what DD has to say.

Offline Andy L

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 09/05/2006 01:04 AM »
Mr Davis. Simple question. Why go with the stick over the EELV options? How much of a consideration was the wish to keep SDLV on the jobs front?

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 167
« Reply #18 on: 09/06/2006 09:15 PM »
Are the latest cost estimates on track.

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: 09/06/2006 11:24 PM »
The CLV second stage is very similar to the Delta IV CBC.  5m diameter, LOX/LH2, CLV is ~30% shorter is all.  Are you considering using existing Delta IV designs and/or tooling at the Decatur, AL, plant to manufacture this stage?

Tags: