Author Topic: Orbital's Antares A-One Processing Flow Updates  (Read 110377 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

We might have an "in" via L2 (expect it, but hard to promise things ahead of the game). Like Shuttle, when we had raw internal coverage of a countdown, I'll paraphrase across any key items.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
Do we know if rollout was on a previous day or will rollout happen today as part of the hotfire?

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
Do we know if rollout was on a previous day or will rollout happen today as part of the hotfire?

Rollout happened a while back.

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
T-30 minutes

Offline Chris Bergin

T-5 mins. Waiting for confirmation (have people looking out for it).
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Waiting for visual confirmation based on the 6pm Eastern target.

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
Abort. Healthcheck failed at T-1.5s

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Abort. Healthcheck failed at T-1.5s

When does ignition normally occur?

Offline strangequark

• San Francisco, CA
SCRUB for today. Aborted before ordnance firing though, so should be quick turnaround.

Offline Chris Bergin

Can they recycle within this attempt window?

Offline Chris Bergin

SCRUB for today. Aborted before ordnance firing though, so should be quick turnaround.

Ah, thanks!

Offline Chris Bergin

I was just thinking that's a useful abort. Shows the computers are all doing their jobs on the parameters.

Offline Chris Bergin

Orbital update:

February 2013

The planned first stage propulsion system "hot fire" test of Orbital's new Antares medium-class rocket was halted in the final seconds of the countdown by the rocket's flight computer, which detected an anomalous condition. The Antares team will evaluate the data from the test to determine the nature of the abort. A new date for the test has not been determined.

The test hot fire test is being conducted at Pad 0A at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on the eastern shore of Virginia. The major objectives of the hot fire test are to verify the that pad's fueling systems and the Antares stage one test article functioned properly in a fully operational environment, that engine ignition and shut down commands operated as designed, and that the dual AJ26 first stage engines performed to specifications in the twin-engine configuration.

Offline Chris Bergin

Looking at a one week delay. Will write up the L2 notes later (got to get some sleep as I'm catching a train first thing in the morning).

Offline Chris Bergin

And......morning ;)

I seem to be writing articles either side of four hours sleep these past few weeks - as I get as much day job work in to pay the bills - so apologies they aren't 3,000 word features. Literally writing articles in time slots provided by sleeping less! ;D

Anyhoo, the hot fire scrub, with a sprinkling of L2 - and an angle of "this is why we test".

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/02/orbital-tentatively-realign-antares-hot-fire-scrub/

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
And......morning ;)

I seem to be writing articles either side of four hours sleep these past few weeks - as I get as much day job work in to pay the bills - so apologies they aren't 3,000 word features. Literally writing articles in time slots provided by sleeping less! ;D

Anyhoo, the hot fire scrub, with a sprinkling of L2 - and an angle of "this is why we test".

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/02/orbital-tentatively-realign-antares-hot-fire-scrub/
New Orbital Presser Chris, Next 7K test target NET End of February:

Antares “Hot Fire” Test Update

14 February 2013

After a preliminary overnight review of the data from the hot fire test attempt on February 13, Orbital's Antares team has identified low pressurization levels of a "nitrogen purge" of the aft engine compartment as the reason the Antares flight computer, acting as designed, aborted the test with about 1.5 seconds left in the countdown. All other aspects of the countdown procedure, from the ground fueling system of the MARS launch complex to the Stage 1 test article, performed nominally. Orbital's Antares team expects to perform another test before the end of February, with an exact date for the test still to be determined.

PRESSER LINK: http://www.orbital.com/Antares-Cygnus/

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
Next week's hotfire will run it up against SpaceX's CRS 2 hotfire. The way both companies project themselves during these hotfires should be interesting to note.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Next week's hotfire will run it up against SpaceX's CRS 2 hotfire. The way both companies project themselves during these hotfires should be interesting to note.
According to another person, It sounds like the next attempt is NET last week of February 2013 or, if further turn around time is required, first week of March 2013. It appears that an international team was convened to verify no impact to Soyuz 2.1v launcher before its second attempt at a first stage hot fire test after the first test ended in failure. This is to verify heritage elements of hardware original to NK-33 are not at fault. Aerojet is working with TsSKB Progress to perform these verifications so that Soyuz 2.1v can resume its own preparations for its upcoming hot fire test.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2013 01:50 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
I've heard a date of the 22nd currently being on the books at wallops for the 7k test, but I don't know how much confidence there is in this number. The person who told me about this date didn't seem crazy confident about it, but this is the first date that I've heard.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I've heard a date of the 22nd currently being on the books at wallops for the 7k test, but I don't know how much confidence there is in this number. The person who told me about this date didn't seem crazy confident about it, but this is the first date that I've heard.

F9 and Antares firing on the same day? That's my Friday fully booked!  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography