Author Topic: BFR/BFS/ITS Naming speculation thread  (Read 29555 times)

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
Re: BFR/BFS/ITS Naming speculation thread
« Reply #60 on: 10/06/2017 05:02 pm »
Whatever happened to Musk's statement that the first ITS ship would be named the Heart of Gold?

That's when ITS is so big there's no realistic way SpaceX can do it alone, so they sort of need a miracle, thus the name.

Nah -- the Heart of Gold is a reference to a spaceship in Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!  The one that Zaphod Beeblebrox steals at its christening ceremony.  The one with the infinite improbability drive.

Yes, I understand where it comes from, but don't you see it as Elon's way of implying the probability of ITS happening is low, i.e. improbable?

Offline alang

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #61 on: 10/06/2017 05:14 pm »
Another one for Lar to delete is Kilroy Was Here. A fictional rocket ship that crashed on return to Earth.
Fairly optimistic compared to some of his other names.

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #62 on: 10/06/2017 05:20 pm »
I agree that we should name it after a science fiction writer. The Niven or Bradbury or something.
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline Kang54

• Denmark
  • Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 2587
« Reply #63 on: 10/06/2017 05:40 pm »
I'm not fond of the various classical names suggested, Phoenix, Mars, Colombia etc. Or rather, not for BFR. They're fine names, and fitting for a  rocket, but they're NASA/old space names.

I think SpaceX should go for something bolder and riskier - just like the BFR itself. Part of me hope it'll just be called BFR, with the ships and boosters being named individually. I really like the Culture ship names, and science fiction writers is also a good idea that hasn't been used so far (to my knowledge).

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #64 on: 10/06/2017 05:55 pm »
I'm not fond of the various classical names suggested, Phoenix, Mars, Colombia etc. Or rather, not for BFR. They're fine names, and fitting for a  rocket, but they're NASA/old space names.

I think SpaceX should go for something bolder and riskier - just like the BFR itself. Part of me hope it'll just be called BFR, with the ships and boosters being named individually. I really like the Culture ship names, and science fiction writers is also a good idea that hasn't been used so far (to my knowledge).

I think one of them should be named the Bebop.

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #65 on: 10/06/2017 06:06 pm »
Phoenix and Ares are my favorites. Also Selene.

Lunar BFR: Selene

Mars BFR: Ares
Han shot first and Gwynne Shotwell !

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #66 on: 10/06/2017 07:24 pm »
Phoenix and Ares are my favorites. Also Selene.

Lunar BFR: Selene

Mars BFR: Ares

I don't think there is any difference.

Offline blasphemer

• Slovakia
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 1081
« Reply #67 on: 10/06/2017 07:52 pm »
I don't quite know what was wrong with ITS as a name for the whole system and see no reason not to use BFR for the booster and BFS for the ship.

Probably because Earth to Earth transport is not INTERplanetary, as in ITS. BFR is now both an intraplanetary as well as interplanetary system.

Also Elon supposedly does not like acronyms so I dont think the new name will be an acronym.

moar culture ships names:

You Would If You Really Loved Me

Size Isn't Everything (fitting for the biggest rocket ever and also reusable)

Don't Try This At Home

You Call This Clean? (I heard them methane burning rockets are huge narcissists.. refurbishment crews beware)
« Last Edit: 10/06/2017 08:05 pm by blasphemer »

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #68 on: 10/07/2017 02:00 am »
A name popped into my head that it needs to poop out  ::)

Falcon Prime.

Derivative of experience with Falcon to date, but not Falcon.

The first of a new class of LVs.

Lends itself to another two-character abbreviation - F9, FH, now FP.

Edit: and not fancy, contrived or obscure.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 02:02 am by Barrie »

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #69 on: 10/07/2017 02:12 am »
In Aus there was a very popular Ford named the Falcon (1960-2016). So out of that I'd propose the Falcon GT or even better, the Falcon GT HO. GT for Gran Tourismo or grand tourer, HO for High Output. Both not far off the mark.
The Falcon was exported to South Africa 👍
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 02:18 am by vapour_nudge »

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 887
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #70 on: 10/07/2017 02:19 am »
I threw in a Ford Falcon pun earlier :)
(or why not "Taurus".. or "Fairmont" )

Offline Mangala

• Portugal
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #71 on: 10/07/2017 02:42 am »
The BFR is design to allow transport to diversified points , short (earth point to point), medium (moon) and far (Mars and Beyond), like was the ship of Ulysses. Somehow, it will allow us to begin a new odyssey as a specie, full of challenges, storms (solar flares) and new worlds to explore and to settle, so the name "Odysseus Class Ship" could fit perfectly, maybe with an individual name for each as they will be reusable, so they will do a lot of journeys, like cruise ships, maybe Jules Verne, Amstrong, Galileo for the moon ships; Bradebury, Burroughs, Robinson for Mars ships; Ulysses, Columbus, Magellan for Earth point to point ships.
In an other point of view, the Portuguese Caravels were the first class of ship capable to do coasting in shoals but also, at the same time, the first ones which allowed to go threw the oceans to explore new worlds and to make new settlements, so the BFR could some how to be compare with the new caravels of this millennium so the name of New Millennium Caravel could be cool, but it would create a new acronym NMC.
« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 02:55 am by Mangala »

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #72 on: 10/07/2017 02:51 am »
Max. For Maxime Faget.

Offline tater

• NM
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 262
« Reply #73 on: 10/07/2017 02:58 am »
Phil Bono needs a nod at some point.

Perhaps as the name of a Limited Contact Unit class, lol.

« Last Edit: 10/07/2017 03:03 am by tater »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #74 on: 10/07/2017 03:00 am »
Phil Bono need a nod at some point.
And our very own Gary Hudson!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #75 on: 10/07/2017 05:57 am »
"Now, class, who can tell me what BFR stands for?"
😂

Big Falcon Rocket

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #76 on: 10/07/2017 07:05 am »
Bank's Culture Ship name: "I Blame the Parents".
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline alang

• Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #77 on: 10/07/2017 05:24 pm »
Other suitable Banks names:

Zero Gravitas.
An unfortunate conflict of evidence.
Resistance is character forming.

My current favourite is Zero Gravitas. I can see why people would want something more serious but I can easily see Musk going for a fictional name.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #78 on: 10/07/2017 11:12 pm »
Whatever happened to Musk's statement that the first ITS ship would be named the Heart of Gold?

That's when ITS is so big there's no realistic way SpaceX can do it alone, so they sort of need a miracle, thus the name.

Nah -- the Heart of Gold is a reference to a spaceship in Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!  The one that Zaphod Beeblebrox steals at its christening ceremony.  The one with the infinite improbability drive.

Yes, I understand where it comes from, but don't you see it as Elon's way of implying the probability of ITS happening is low, i.e. improbable?

Nope.  It seems an enormous stretch.  In fact, I'm *highly* doubtful Elon thought, when announcing the ITS last year, "Hey -- I know I'm BS'ing everyone like crazy, so I'll create a secret-code name for the first ship, just to wink and let everyone know I have no intention of developing this architecture."

Seems like that's how you're interpreting it, and I cannot imagine that is what happened...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #79 on: 10/08/2017 12:22 am »

As time goes on, in the chapter where the improbability drive is introduced, the probability rises over time, ending at 1:1.
Three to one… two… one. Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat: we have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography