Author Topic: Chris G, Thomas B, Michael B, Nic A depart from NSF  (Read 17420 times)

Offline lrk

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 1113
Re: Chris G, Thomas B, Michael B, Nic A depart from NSF
« Reply #20 on: 03/23/2023 03:38 pm »
I started following this site 10 years ago (wow, has it really been that long!?) and Chris G's technically-detailed interviews and press conference questions have always stood out to me as some of the best.  I've enjoyed reading your articles and hearing you chime in on live streams with random bits of relevant spaceflight trivia.  Congratulations Chris, and best wishes for your new role! 

P.S. I would love to see you pop up on a SpaceX webcast sometime, perhaps for the launch of a certain large methane rocket soon  ;)

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1806
« Reply #21 on: 03/23/2023 07:37 pm »
Congratulations!!
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1106
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #22 on: 03/24/2023 01:06 am »
So, um, what is ChrisG doing a SpaceX? PR/communications?

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1809
« Reply #23 on: 03/27/2023 04:35 pm »
FYI Chris has changed his Twitter handle -- not just the "display name", rather the handle itself.  That means that the old @ChrisG_NSF handle we were used to is gone, and any direct links to his tweets will now be broken.  But fear not!  He is still on Twitter, and indeed his tweet history is all still there.  He just renamed to @ChrisG_SpX .  So just backspace that NSF out and replace with SpX :) (case actually doesn't matter)

https://twitter.com/ChrisG_SpX

While I'm here I wanted to point to two recent stellar performances by our friend that I happened to watch today.  During NSF's live Artemis-1 launch coverage in November, ChrisG got to interview an ATK^H^H^HNorthrup Grumman executive* about the SRBs, and then an Aerojet Rocketdyne executive about the SSME^H^H^HRS-25 engines.  And damn did Chris knock it out of the park with the questions and his own knowledge of those systems and the STS program history.  Just super impressive as usual and I'll link directly to those two short interviews here:

Chris G interview of NG/ATK exec about SRBs:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kvaz66nMEls&t=22657s

Chris G interview of Aerojet exec about RS-25s:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kvaz66nMEls&t=28063s

* yes of course I know who he is, but he was there as an NG exec :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online DwightM

• Veteran
  • Valdez, AK
  • Liked: 713
  • Likes Given: 917
« Reply #24 on: 03/27/2023 11:04 pm »
During many years of watching pressers Chris always represented NSF and most of its members brilliantly.  His questions were always unique, relevant, clear, and respectful.  You always learned something as a result of them.  Best of luck to you Chris, you're one of the good ones.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #25 on: 03/28/2023 03:27 pm »
So, um, what is ChrisG doing a SpaceX? PR/communications?
Got "Internal Communications" listed on his twitter handle page. Guess we will find out what ChrisG does at SpaceX from his future tweets and appearances on SpaceX webcasts.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2591
  • Likes Given: 2903
« Reply #26 on: 03/28/2023 05:35 pm »
Congratulations.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82915
  • Likes Given: 37275
« Reply #27 on: 04/03/2023 02:02 am »
Got "Internal Communications" listed on his twitter handle page. Guess we will find out what ChrisG does at SpaceX from his future tweets and appearances on SpaceX webcasts.

If it’s internal SpaceX comms then I’m not sure we’ll get to see much unfortunately. I can imagine there’s a great job though publicising the range of things SpaceX is working on to the whole, increasingly dispersed workforce.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #28 on: 04/25/2023 06:21 am »
Had to expand the thread title:

https://twitter.com/tgmetsfan98/status/1650680518244208642

Happy to announce that today was my first day as a SpaceX Launch Engineer at SLC-4. And tomorrow, I'll hopefully get to see* my first Vandenberg launch!

*fog permitting

So if you’d like a job at SpaceX there’s a different route to try

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/chrisg_spx/status/1650707610147127296

Welcome!
« Last Edit: 04/25/2023 06:34 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 756
  • Likes Given: 21203
« Reply #29 on: 04/25/2023 06:29 am »
Congratulations to Thomas B. Always such a calming and pragmatic voice.

Congratulations to Chris G. Ever the exuberant elucidator.

It's feeling kind of like the end of an era at NSF.

Here's to the next giant leaps.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #30 on: 05/17/2023 02:21 pm »
Congratulations, Thomas!

Have always been a fan of you, initially as a padawan #learner applying your curiosity & breadth in spaceflight interest w your formal education in Engineering as a discipline, then sharing that w the NSF audience in articles.

When you became a voice, and then prominent, on the NSF YouTube channel, we all benefited from your clear & articulate coverage of space news, and particularly, space launch news.  So great to see you be invited into the industry at SpaceX as a launch engineer! 

I am confident this will be only the beginning of a long and industrious career for you.

Ad astra.
~Llian
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #31 on: 05/17/2023 04:12 pm »
Congratulations, Thomas...wishing you all the best at SpaceX!!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #32 on: 05/31/2023 06:15 pm »
https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1663971922621898752

After 5.5 years, today is my last with @NASASpaceflight. Thank you to the team and community for making an incredible journey possible. I will be moving on to an engineering role in the industry.

This news also means that it is time for me to step aside from Next Spaceflight. NASASpaceflight has graciously offered to take on the project. The app will continue to operate as you know it.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #33 on: 05/31/2023 06:29 pm »
All three have put in years of service to NSF and are going into jobs that are pretty much dream jobs with a major company, so we're happy for them. And we've been increasing our team all the time. Net gain about nine people during this period!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 06/27/2023 03:18 am »
(Michael Baylor tweet:) This news also means that it is time for me to step aside from Next Spaceflight. NASASpaceflight has graciously offered to take on the project. The app will continue to operate as you know it.

FYI I have started a thread about the NextSpaceFlight website and smartphone app here:

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59125.0
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 07/12/2023 02:05 pm »
Since Twitter went "down" on June 30th, I've been completely cut off from the NSF Twitter feed so missed this news until now.  Last night I realized that nitter.net, a non-JS frontend for Twitter content, was working again (it also broke on June 30th) and suddenly today I was able to catch up on 12 days of NSF tweets.

Which is how I learned that Nic Ansuini has moved on.  This is as good a thread as any to say, godspeed Nic and thanks for the TONS of imagery!  You didn't have as much NSF seniority as the other three guys that are the subject of this thread, but you certainly made the biggest personal commitment with your past two years of Boca Chica coverage.  I hope to soon hear what your next adventure is!

https://nitter.net/NicAnsuini/status/1677724314097840130

https://twitter.com/NicAnsuini/status/1677724314097840130

* I don't have a Twitter account and don't want one.  I just use the web interface to manually keep up with a handful of feeds.  All of that went down on June 30th, and has not returned.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #36 on: 09/23/2023 05:52 am »
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1705412117854077219

Our three former NSFers who are now working for SpaceX. Couldn't be more proud of them!

twitter.com/chrisg_spx/status/1705395277459505581

Reunion
« Last Edit: 09/23/2023 05:53 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #37 on: 11/22/2023 08:52 pm »
Any one wondering what Chris G is doing now could see for themselves during SpaceX’s IFT-2 livestream

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography