Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5  (Read 338486 times)

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5
« Reply #260 on: 08/14/2017 07:04 pm »
  I'll be gone for a few weeks after today. Casper, Wyoming beckons.
Sounds like solar eclipse watching as the center line is near Casper; I'm off to Victor Idaho, staying < 500ft from center line.

I'm probably staying in a parking lot or open field on the night of the 20th. Campground spots are going for $2,500 there. Hotel rooms cost more than I paid for my 2006 minivan.
 Oh, uh,,, Texas launch site, yada....
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online rsdavis9

Sounds like solar eclipse watching as the center line is near Casper; I'm off to Victor Idaho, staying < 500ft from center line.

I'm probably staying in a parking lot or open field on the night of the 20th. Campground spots are going for $2,500 there. Hotel rooms cost more than I paid for my 2006 minivan.

I am going to Paducah KY and I got a tent only site 3 days ago for $40/night. Staying fri sat sun night.
Kentucky Lake KOA.

With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #262 on: 08/14/2017 07:47 pm »

I am going to Paducah KY and I got a tent only site 3 days ago for $40/night. Staying fri sat sun night.
Kentucky Lake KOA.

Has the NSF community started putting together a list of places in and around Boca Chica to stay when wandering down for launches?
I'd like to know more and may start visiting as the place starts getting closer  to operational...

Also, does NSF have a page for 2017 Eclipse viewing coordination?
I'll be in my RV with a group of fellow members from the TinkerMill.org makerspace in dispersed camping areas just south east of Casper, WY...

Edit/Lar Yes it does:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41843
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 01:43 am by Lar »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #263 on: 08/14/2017 08:50 pm »

Has the NSF community started putting together a list of places in and around Boca Chica to stay when wandering down for launches?
I'd like to know more and may start visiting as the place starts getting closer  to operational...

For launches I think most people are just looking at South Padre. Everyplace in Brownsville is almost 20 miles from the site with a two lane highway going in. You can get within 5 miles at South Padre with billions and billions of hotels available. Just to visit, before I had a home here I stayed in a Value Place extended stay hotel on the highway. Cheap and clean, almost new, kitchenettes with Denny's and some Mexican place next door and ducks in the parking lot.
 I mentioned a few pages back that the real adventurers can drive to Playa Bagdad and up the beach to the river to get within 2 1/2 miles of the launch or look for a Mexican boat tour from there that would take you to the border and about half the distance as the southern tip of South Padre.
 I'm still waiting to talk to someone about how many, if any guests I could have without messing up their casualty estimates.

« Last Edit: 08/14/2017 08:51 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #264 on: 08/15/2017 01:42 am »
Eclipse thread is here

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41843

Some posts moved
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #265 on: 08/15/2017 12:36 pm »
South Padre Island is building an amphitheater to view SpaceX launches.  The amphitheater will be on the Southern tip of the island, 5 miles from the launch site, and will hold around 1500 people.

South Padre Island is already a big resort destination with lots of other things to do an lots of places to stay.  The Pearl Hotel is the tallest, so the best view may be from a room in the South tower, 25th floor balcony.

You could also try renting a 5th floor condo at the Gulf View Condominiums or La Isla South Padre Residences, as those also seem to have an unobstructed view of the launch site.

I've circled all 3 locations on the first aerial picture below.

« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 12:46 pm by Dave G »

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #266 on: 08/15/2017 01:53 pm »
South Padre Island is building an amphitheater to view SpaceX launches.  The amphitheater will be on the Southern tip of the island, 5 miles from the launch site, and will hold around 1500 people.

South Padre Island is already a big resort destination with lots of other things to do an lots of places to stay.  The Pearl Hotel is the tallest, so the best view may be from a room in the South tower, 25th floor balcony.

You could also try renting a 5th floor condo at the Gulf View Condominiums or La Isla South Padre Residences, as those also seem to have an unobstructed view of the launch site.

I've circled all 3 locations on the first aerial picture below.

Good locations but if you want a up close view of the Rocket I suggest Dolphin Cove at Isla Blanca, don't know when there gonna start Contruction yet maybe late 2017 and finish in 2018. On the Isla Blanca renovations.  People who live there still want to know when Construction starts so they can leave I feel for them.
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 02:43 pm by SPITexas »

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10225
« Reply #267 on: 08/15/2017 02:44 pm »
The current structures were not built with launch viewing in mind -- they face to the ocean, not to the Southeast.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #268 on: 08/15/2017 04:24 pm »
The current structures were not built with launch viewing in mind -- they face to the ocean, not to the Southeast.

The Gulf View Condominiums and La Isla South Padre Residences both face to the South.  These are the left and center circles in the photo below.

The Pearl towers face East, toward the Gulf of Mexico, but if you have a room on the South end of the South tower, then just go out on your balcony and turn to the right.  And especially if you can get a room like this above the 20th floor, the view of the launch should be outstanding.  The Pearl South tower is the right circle in the photo below.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #269 on: 08/15/2017 04:44 pm »
Good locations but if you want a up close view of the Rocket I suggest Dolphin Cove at Isla Blanca, don't know when there gonna start Contruction yet maybe late 2017 and finish in 2018.

Dolphin Cove is at the Southern most tip of South Padre Island, 5 miles from the launch site.  This is where they're building the amphitheater that will hold up to 1500 people.  If you're looking for the a festive atmosphere, then this is probably your best bet.

But since the amphitheater will be essentially at ground level, that means you won't be able to see the actual launch pad, and you'll probably only see the top part of the rocket as it sits on the pad.

To see the whole rocket actually lift off the pad, you'll need to be up higher.  The locations I circled are 5.8 miles from the launch site, only 16% further than Dolphin Cove, but much higher up (i.e. between the 5th and 25th floors).

« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 04:45 pm by Dave G »

Offline Austin Dave

• Austin & SPI
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #270 on: 08/15/2017 05:43 pm »
The tall building that you circled is actually the Sapphire.  The Pearl is located northeast of the Sapphire, and some units in The Pearl will have a view of the launch site.  The lowest floor that will have a clear view of the launch pad depends on how high the pad area is built up.  If it is built up 20 or 30 feet then it's possible that the 2nd or 3rd floors will be able to see the bottom of the rocket.

Work on the amphitheater will happen next year.  I read somewhere that the Isla Blanca trailer park is not taking reservations for next year due to the construction.

I took this picture last October looking back at SPI from a location on Hwy 4 near Boca Chica Villiage.  You can see the Sapphire and some of the other taller buildings.  Padre Blvd points almost directly toward the launch site, and buildings on the west side of the street should have an unobstructed view of the launch.  A year or so ago the city of SPI talked about purchasing the Boardwalk Chaos Nightclub building on Padre Blvd and creating a viewing site there.  However, I haven't heard any further discussion since then.

EDIT:  Looking at it in more detail on Google maps it looks like the Pearl and Sapphire are part of the same complex.  I've always heard the smaller building being referred to as the Pearl, and the taller building the Sapphire.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2017 02:13 am by Austin Dave »

Offline JChildress

• Liked: 2
« Reply #271 on: 08/15/2017 10:10 pm »
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I joined because I have a summer home in port Isabel and just got clued into the SpaceX launch pad going into Boca Chica.

I'm a long time believer in Musk...tesla driver since early 2014 and solar city customer as of 2014.

Where is the best place to immerse myself in local info on the Boca Chica pad?  Down here for another week before we head home to get my kids back in school in Dallas and would love to explore a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Offline Elvis in Space

• Elvis is Everywhere
  • Still on Earth
  • Liked: 771
  • Likes Given: 6318
« Reply #272 on: 08/15/2017 10:17 pm »
Hey guys I'm new to the forum...
Where is the best place to immerse myself in local info on the Boca Chica pad? 

You're there. Read through this forum and the others regarding Spacex launch facilities.
Cheeseburgers on Mars!

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #273 on: 08/15/2017 10:34 pm »
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I joined because I have a summer home in port Isabel and just got clued into the SpaceX launch pad going into Boca Chica.

I'm a long time believer in Musk...tesla driver since early 2014 and solar city customer as of 2014.

Where is the best place to immerse myself in local info on the Boca Chica pad?  Down here for another week before we head home to get my kids back in school in Dallas and would love to explore a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Yea you are here in the SpaceX Boca Chica discussion, you can go trough previous threads if you find them. If you want to stay on this thread you will find out more about the launch site activity in the coming months.

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #274 on: 08/15/2017 10:42 pm »
Take the drive to Boca Chica Beach and say 'Hello' to the angel repaired by Nomadd. You can see the progress to the Stargate building, probably see the new crane in pieces waiting to do it's work, and definitely see the huge mound of dirt that will be the heart of the launch complex!

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5
« Reply #275 on: 08/15/2017 11:02 pm »
I suggest driving by the SpaceX test facility outside McGregor on your way back to Dallas. Drove down there this past weekend. Got to see a 2nd stage being extracted from the test stand. There's no tour or anything. Just see what you can see from the road. If you work your way back on some public gravel roads you can get some decent views of the test stands. The best view of the S2 stand is from Mother Neff road just south of the complex.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: 08/15/2017 11:02 pm by cppetrie »

Offline JChildress

• Liked: 2
« Reply #276 on: 08/16/2017 12:32 am »
Another question for the experts here.  My place is in Port Isabel just North of 100.  The roof is about 40 feet high.  I have been contemplating putting in a rooftop deck, originally to be able to see the fireworks better but now this is a new wrinkle.  I am about 7 miles away as the crow flies to the site but with no major obstructions.  Do you guys think I am high enough to have a reasonable view of the launch site?

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #277 on: 08/16/2017 01:10 am »
Another question for the experts here.  My place is in Port Isabel just North of 100.  The roof is about 40 feet high.  I have been contemplating putting in a rooftop deck, originally to be able to see the fireworks better but now this is a new wrinkle.  I am about 7 miles away as the crow flies to the site but with no major obstructions.  Do you guys think I am high enough to have a reasonable view of the launch site?

From 40 ft up you should have a view to a horizon almost 8 miles away, so you could see the ground at SpaceX Boca Chica.
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
or use the approximation d=sqrt(h*6378) where d and h are in kilometers.
(40 ft = 0.012 km)
Plus the launch pad will be raised.  If it's only 20 ft up you would have a line of sight to the base at ~13 miles.
In fact, if your deck and the launch pad were only 10 ft up, you have a line of sight to the base of the pad lying in a beach chair.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #278 on: 08/16/2017 01:59 am »
The launch pad will probably be a little higher than the dunes, at least 12 feet to keep out of hurricane surge. So you'd probably have a good shot at 20 feet high from there. Look toward the village and see how good a view you have of the big STARGATE building.

Online rsdavis9

From 40 ft up you should have a view to a horizon almost 8 miles away, so you could see the ground at SpaceX Boca Chica.
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm
or use the approximation d=sqrt(h*6378) where d and h are in kilometers.
(40 ft = 0.012 km)
Plus the launch pad will be raised.  If it's only 20 ft up you would have a line of sight to the base at ~13 miles.
In fact, if your deck and the launch pad were only 10 ft up, you have a line of sight to the base of the pad lying in a beach chair.

why does d=sqrt(.01*6378) give me 7.98 km?
I use d=3.5558*sqrt(13) which gives me 12820 m or 12.8 km
EDIT:
Looked up on wikipedia and
d=3.57*sqrt(h) is a better approximation
The formula from pyth theorem is
d=sqrt(h*(2*re+h)) where re is avg radius of earth

EDIT EDIT:
your formula should be
d=sqrt(h*6378*2)
where 6378 is the eq radius of the earth.

« Last Edit: 08/16/2017 01:39 pm by rsdavis9 »
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography