Author Topic: Shuttle Tile identification  (Read 143998 times)

Offline CCHSphysics

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shuttle Tile identification
« Reply #80 on: 03/12/2013 10:55 pm »
Hello! I just received a shuttle tile as well, but my number does not match the usual format. The black tile is stenciled with relatively small (compared to others) white text:

MISC-794-462-014

I looked all over and haven't seen any references telling exactly what it is; the closest I've found is the XXX014 (body flap), but I would think those tiles match the format of the others posted here. Like the others, I'd love to make a nice display case for it with a photo of its intended location/use if possible. Thanks in advance to any who might be able to help!

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #81 on: 03/13/2013 02:00 am »
So that the streamlines do not run parallel to the gaps between the tiles, which would allow the hot gases to burn through the underlying airframe.
F=ma

Why are the tiles set at a 45 degree angle on the belly?

Offline elianne921

« Reply #82 on: 03/20/2013 02:52 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a volunteer at one of the museums with one of the remaining shuttles and a fellow volunteer brought in a tile for us to look at.

The serial number is VO70-199705-024 E29321

From what I can find, it's on the leading edge of the wing, and I'm guessing the upper side because of what I can see on our shuttle. If anyone can place the tile, I know my fellow volunteer will be very happy. Unfortunately I didn't get to take a photo, but it has an interesting notch cut in it.

Thanks!

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #83 on: 03/29/2013 08:31 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm a volunteer at one of the museums with one of the remaining shuttles and a fellow volunteer brought in a tile for us to look at.

From what I can find, it's on the leading edge of the wing, and I'm guessing the upper side because of what I can see on our shuttle. If anyone can place the tile, I know my fellow volunteer will be very happy. Unfortunately I didn't get to take a photo, but it has an interesting notch cut in it.

Thanks!

Bumping to remind some to help the above person.
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #84 on: 03/30/2013 09:33 pm »
Hello! I just received a shuttle tile as well, but my number does not match the usual format. The black tile is stenciled with relatively small (compared to others) white text:

MISC-794-462-014

I looked all over and haven't seen any references telling exactly what it is; the closest I've found is the XXX014 (body flap), but I would think those tiles match the format of the others posted here. Like the others, I'd love to make a nice display case for it with a photo of its intended location/use if possible. Thanks in advance to any who might be able to help!

I've never seen a tile ID like this before - no idea what its purpose is, or where it might be from.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #85 on: 03/30/2013 09:40 pm »

Thanks!

Tile V070-199705-024

I've not been able to find this exact tile, but did find a group of seven tiles with IDs 199705-xxx.  Numbers were -037 -039 -041 -043 -045 -047 and -049.

As you already guessed, these tiles are located on the wing leading edge (left-hand in this instance) on the upper-side and are right next to the third RCC panel along from the fuselage of the orbiter.  The first four tiles listed are roughly 10:7 ratio rectangles, and the final three are very skinny rectangles (but may be quite thick).

I did find 199705-46 and 199705-48 on a tile map for the right-hand wing, and these were also next to the third RCC panel from the fuselage (but the map is a little confusing as the view partial and is from the underside of the wing!)

For these double rows of tiles along the RCC panels the numbering scheme seems to be as follows: 1997nn-xxx where nn is always an odd number, and each xxx number odd for the left-hand wing, and even for the right-hand wing.  Each xxx group of tiles is associated with an individual RCC panel and mounted on a removable carrier panel allowing access to the RCC mounting structures.  On the wing underside the scheme is a single row of tiles on carrier panel (next to the RCC panels) with numbers 1997mm-xxx where mm is an even number.

So if you have a good vantage point and a pair of binoculars, you might try looking in the area just behind the inboard RCC panels on the upper side of the wings (and since 199705-024 has an even number suffix, try the right-hand wing first!) - you may be lucky and find your tile if the numbering is not too faded.

Usual warnings that small differences in tile numbering schemes exist between orbiters, and numbers have changed over the lifetime of individual orbiters due to changes in designs, layouts, or tile types being  used.

I've attached a partial tile map of the left-hand wing of Discovery showing the 199705 block higlighted in red; a cross-section of the RCC panel and structures; and a photo of the right-hand wing of an orbiter showing the tiles on the upper wing edge.  On the photo you can see the four fastening holes (larger, white rimmed) in the outer tiles on each carrier panel (note these have more tiles than the inboard panels).

Click images to enlarge.

Offline elianne921

« Reply #86 on: 04/01/2013 09:21 pm »
Thanks so much, I'm really looking forward to taking this in for my shift tomorrow and showing everyone, I know they will just as thankful as I am.

Offline warddw

• Liked: 73
« Reply #87 on: 04/01/2013 10:07 pm »
Any info on these would be appreciated - received by a school...

Thin White tile - V070-391143-204 JG0877  - SCRAP in red
Thick White tile 64642     10574
Thick Black tile VT70-191037-027   MN0101346

Offline warddw

• Liked: 73
« Reply #88 on: 04/08/2013 10:38 pm »
bump

Offline allanfshapiro

« Reply #89 on: 04/15/2013 09:40 pm »
I need help in verifying two tiles that supposedly flew on Enterprise. How do I do it?
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 04:21 am by allanfshapiro »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #90 on: 04/15/2013 09:50 pm »
I need help in verifying two tiles that flew on Enterprise. How do I do it?

Just saw your e-mail Allan and I was going to send you to this thread, so you're in the right place! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline allanfshapiro

« Reply #91 on: 04/17/2013 02:44 pm »
Is there some organization or individual that I can contact at NASA to investigate those 2 shuttle tiles?
« Last Edit: 04/18/2013 06:43 pm by allanfshapiro »

Offline wkann

« Reply #92 on: 05/18/2013 01:13 am »
Dang this is a cool thread, I wish NASA let individuals buy tiles. (not just schools/museums/institutions)
"It's our destiny to explore. It's our destiny to be a space-faring nation."- Eugene Cernan

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #93 on: 10/08/2013 11:59 am »
Was having lunch and Star Trek Enterprise was on. The episode involved removing a bomb from the hull plating.

Noticed that the close ups of the planting showed they all had serial numbers.....starting with VO70!

Lovely little hat tip to Shuttle there.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Shuttle Endeavour

« Reply #94 on: 12/10/2013 03:54 pm »
Hello
I am a new member here and I just bought some STS-55 flown Inconel. The piece is like aluminum, and is a rectangular shape that seems to have been a bit burnt. I was wondering if anyone knew where these pieces were located. And the part number is V070-199736-085. Serial No 000102. Reasons for removal is horse collar is torn and frayed, triangles are frayed, Inconel is bent, and FWD gap filler is destricing (That word was eligible) insulator.

Offline Shuttle Endeavour

« Reply #95 on: 12/16/2013 03:06 am »
I just noticed the tag indicates it is located from the Left Wing. Does anyone know what region of the left wing this would be used in? It also indicates it is from a carrier panel assembly.
« Last Edit: 12/16/2013 03:21 am by Shuttle Endeavour »

Offline AirmanPika

• Central Cali
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #96 on: 09/21/2014 02:42 pm »
Gonna bump because this thread is still proving quite useful.

I got ahold of another flown shuttle tile. This one claimed to be from Columbia but no supporting paperwork and can't do a FOIA request to be sure until I can get my eyes on it to verify the serial number since its hard to make out in pics. That will be a few weeks since I'm deployed for a while longer.

From what I can make out from the various angles in the pics I have...

GGG3?0-001
-TPS-3 E14794
V070-391003-084
Z?LL8390-000M
         837-000M

DEN

In this case a previous post of the forward port side shows that it was attached to the Forward RCS Module. Of course that makes things interesting because if I recall RCS modules sometimes switched shuttles depending on turnaround (correct me if I'm wrong there). If true this thing could have been on multiple shuttles in the same way the OMS pods were. It's definitely seen heavy use. Might just start digging through actual high res photos. That's a commonly photographed area.

I attached a couple pics and the tile map with said tile in blue. Also...anyone know what the DEN means? I've seen it on lots of tiles and have always been curious.

Edit: OK so if it was really from Columbia it never left her. Columbia was fitted with FRC2 which flew with her on every mission and was never used on a different shuttle.
« Last Edit: 09/26/2014 06:33 am by AirmanPika »

Offline midipuppies

« Reply #97 on: 10/19/2014 02:15 am »
Hello all, I have two tiles that I am hoping to get tile maps for. I hope I'm posting in the right spot.

These two tiles were supposedly installed on Challenger after its initial delivery to NASA from Rockwell. Apparently they failed some form of test or were found to be defective in some way. Like many others, I am wanting to display them and am seeking printable tile map files for each one. Any help would be very much appreciated.

LRSI Tile    V070 197002 066 008303
HRSI Tile (No printed numbers, only stamped on the rear all over the place)   V070 193008 then 9005 stamped below, then the following stamped underneath on an angle 200 2973X
(X indicates that I can't make out what number it is)

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #98 on: 10/24/2014 02:46 pm »
Hello all, I have two tiles that I am hoping to get tile maps for. I hope I'm posting in the right spot.

These two tiles were supposedly installed on Challenger after its initial delivery to NASA from Rockwell. Apparently they failed some form of test or were found to be defective in some way. Like many others, I am wanting to display them and am seeking printable tile map files for each one. Any help would be very much appreciated.

LRSI Tile    V070 197002 066 008303
HRSI Tile (No printed numbers, only stamped on the rear all over the place)   V070 193008 then 9005 stamped below, then the following stamped underneath on an angle 200 2973X
(X indicates that I can't make out what number it is)

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Was not able to find tile 197002-066, but I did find two similar numbers (197002-177 and -101) on Endeavour which were located on the right-hand left-hand wing outer elevon on the top-side trailing edge (innermost corner).

I found a whole bunch of tiles starting 193008-xxx (a block of 26 tiles) on a Discovery tile map fragment.  These are on the left-hand wing inner elevon on the underside trailing edge and are probably around 5-6 inches in size in either dimension.  I've attached a pdf of the tile map with this block marked in red - I've also attached a general view as an image.  I don't know what the other numbers on this tile mean.

My collection of tile map fragments is limited, so maybe someone else has additional information on these tiles.

Note that tile numbering has variations between orbiters, and they have changed over time when new TPS arrangements have been introduced, but generally the six-digit prefix gives a good idea of location (see the general location map in one of the earlier posts)

Hope this helps a little.

Edit: corrected left/right error
« Last Edit: 10/27/2014 01:07 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #99 on: 11/02/2014 11:57 pm »
I have searched and searched for the individual shuttle tile locator maps that AnalogMan has so kindly helped others locate their tiles.  Our department has 3 tiles that we would like to located exactly.  None are flown items.  Sure would appreciate any help and would be glad to pay a fee for the service of a PDF of them.  Wouldn't have to bother anyone if the maps were online......

VO70-195002        VO7O - 191001        VO7O - 395907
-203  009224         -120    009553        - 263   B62497

We would appreciate any help.  Thanks!!

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography