Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4  (Read 665320 times)

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4
« Reply #1300 on: 05/19/2017 11:34 pm »
Back to digging post holes in clay.

Clay?  You mean, like gumbo?  Thought you'd be on sand. 
Sand with layers of clay. Fairly thin foundations aren't settling after 50 years here. The ground is pretty firm past the first foot or so.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1301 on: 05/23/2017 06:29 pm »
 crane will be set up by that dirt square spot next to that hill, I don't think it will be used for the HIF it'll be used for the Launch pad I don't know when there gonna build it the crane yet. That is my opinion on this.
« Last Edit: 05/23/2017 10:35 pm by SPITexas »

Offline Austin Dave

• Austin & SPI
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1302 on: 05/24/2017 01:01 am »
SPITexas, what area are you referring to?  Are you referring to the area next to the soil surcharge hill where they put the vegetation scraped off the ground?  Or are you referring to the area that we have speculated is a parking/staging area?  Neither of the two areas is close enough to the launch pad for the crane to reach it.

It's possible that the crane could be placed in the "staging" area to construct the water tower, but I'm not sure if that makes sense either.  I still believe that before any construction begins the excess surcharge soil needs to be moved to the pad and connecting road to provide a surface level with the HIF.  However, that approach is in conflict with having the parking/staging area located where it is.  Hopefully, construction will start soon and it will all make sense to us then.

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #1303 on: 05/24/2017 02:01 am »
More speculation here, I thought they would bring in a lot more dirt to build the launch pad and a causeway between it and the HIF. Since that didn't happen, I now think they plan to put the whole thing on pylons, like an elevated roadway from the HIF to the pad and the pad itself on pylons but the lower (ground level) for the exhaust trench and the launch pad above. This way the tracks will go over the staging area.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Offline Austin Dave

• Austin & SPI
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1304 on: 05/24/2017 12:53 pm »
I don't know about using pylons, but they will need to allow for drainage.  There will most likely be some culverts under the road connecting the HIF to the pad.  After looking at the published diagrams of the launch site I'm now thinking that the parking/staging area is actually the area between the water tower and the storage tanks.  In other words, they've most likely moved the water tower and storage tanks away from the launch pad, and closer to the HIF.  See the attached picture where I highlighted in red where the parking/staging area is, and in green I outlined the area between the water tower and the storage tanks.

So now I'm thinking that the surcharge hill will be spread around onto the launch pad and connecting road, but without a significant increase in elevation in those areas.  I think the whole area will be at about the same level as hwy 4, or maybe just a few feet higher.

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #1305 on: 05/26/2017 10:48 am »
NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/local/article_b4bb9a64-41c0-11e7-ab61-d3d67abcd504.html
Forecasters predict there will be 11 to 17 named storms, 5 to 9 hurricanes and 2 to 4 major hurricanes.

“The outlook reflects our expectation of a weak or non-existent El Nino, near- or above-average sea-surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and average or weaker-than-average vertical wind shear in that same region,” said Gerry Bell, lead seasonal hurricane forecaster with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, in a press release...

Cameron County Judge Eddie Trevino Jr. said the county has held monthly meetings with cities in the county to make sure they have evacuation pickup points, sandbag distribution points and other issues in place when preparing for a hurricane.

“We are also making sure we are reviewing our drills and that we have our prepositioned contracts in place for debris removal after storms. We are also drilling with the state on the movement of evacuees to shelters in San Antonio and Austin to make sure we know what we are going to do in the event of an evacuation,” Treviño said.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #1306 on: 05/26/2017 03:45 pm »
NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/news/local/article_b4bb9a64-41c0-11e7-ab61-d3d67abcd504.html
Forecasters predict there will be 11 to 17 named storms, 5 to 9 hurricanes and 2 to 4 major hurricanes.

“The outlook reflects our expectation of a weak or non-existent El Nino, near- or above-average sea-surface temperatures across the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and average or weaker-than-average vertical wind shear in that same region,” said Gerry Bell, lead seasonal hurricane forecaster with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, in a press release...

Cameron County Judge Eddie Trevino Jr. said the county has held monthly meetings with cities in the county to make sure they have evacuation pickup points, sandbag distribution points and other issues in place when preparing for a hurricane.

“We are also making sure we are reviewing our drills and that we have our prepositioned contracts in place for debris removal after storms. We are also drilling with the state on the movement of evacuees to shelters in San Antonio and Austin to make sure we know what we are going to do in the event of an evacuation,” Treviño said.

I predict 1 to 3 Storms to hit the RGV
2 Tropical storms or Deprssion and 1 Hurricane these Storms rarely reach us it goes from Hot water into the Cold in the Gulf of Mexico but we could get some rain bands from them Not that bad of a prediction.
  Florida on the other hand, will be very worse.  SpaceX Started some Contruction from Boca Chica very late last year they can do the same this year to avoid the Weather. I strongly doubt we would get a Major Storm.  But when something hits I ain't leaving.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2017 04:03 pm by SPITexas »

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #1307 on: 05/27/2017 12:11 am »
Please stop. 
No one can know how many storms there will be this year or any year.  Large organizations do forecasts that are extremely loose and often wrong.  An individual opinion from someone without access to data and models is not worth discussing, particularly here. 
Any recent construction has been documented somewhere back on this thread.
Let's wait for some to see something that actually happens at Boca Chica.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #1308 on: 05/27/2017 01:40 am »
 Actually, I can predict that the possibility of a major flood went up 60-80% the day I finished my new laminate floor in the old garage.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography